Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #121
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I do hope you can get the paperwork straightened out. Here in Texas, the governor enacted an emergency disaster declaration which, among may other things, allows a person to let their title and registration to expire without penalty for up to 60 days AFTER the governor declares there is no longer a state of emergency. Perhaps your state has such a declaration?
Aha, you're in Texas! I always thought you were a Floridian for some reason.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:17 AM   #122
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Aha, you're in Texas! I always thought you were a Floridian for some reason.
They're moving here.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #123
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
I do hope you can get the paperwork straightened out. Here in Texas, the governor enacted an emergency disaster declaration which, among may other things, allows a person to let their title and registration to expire without penalty for up to 60 days AFTER the governor declares there is no longer a state of emergency. Perhaps your state has such a declaration?
60 day extension starting today, however we don't have registration or a title and new trip permits can be purchased online, if you have a title. We're out of time on a prospective purchase permit which uses a bill of sale instead of a title. So really we've got nothing to lean on.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #124
Bus Nut

Quote:
60 day extension starting today, however we don't have registration or a title and new trip permits can be purchased online, if you have a title. We're out of time on a prospective purchase permit which uses a bill of sale instead of a title. So really we've got nothing to lean on.

I was able to find another commercial street that is less traveled, especially by law enforcement vs the normal parking spot that has state troopers passing by all day. Hopefully it gets left alone.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #125
Bus Nut

Not sure what happened with the last two posts but these projects are now on indefinite hold because I was just laid off. Company is suffering terrible from Corona's economic and social effects. Charter work is next to nonexistant and most of the shuttle contracts are on hold. 3 million in lost revenue so far and only expected to continue. They couldn't afford to pay more than two mechanics so cut the rest.

Might try to be a mechanic for hire until I find somewhere else.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #126
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
dang man, hate to hear that.
My folks are out of work indefinitely as of last week. Rough times ahead for many folks.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:08 PM   #127
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
dang man, hate to hear that.
My folks are out of work indefinitely as of last week. Rough times ahead for many folks.
Indeed ... for the whole world!

Even if it were to all go away TODAY, it would be weeks before "normal" could set back in.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #128
Bus Geek

Sorry, man.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #129
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
That makes for a rough time for sure, thankfully, supply chain isn't stopping and people who know how to work on diesels are always in demand.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #130
Bus Nut

So part of being laid off is having to remove my toolbox from the shop. After some pondering on where to store it, or even move it. I've realized I don't need to go rent a trailer, I have a bus with a lift. A bus with a lift and plenty of open space to strap down the box and even store it there. The only catch is we've never gotten the lift to work.

So after some late night troubleshooting, I've hotwired the wheelchair lift.

I determined problem was the lift was not getting a signal to turn on, perhaps caused by a faulty interlock or lack of knowledge about proper procedures. So I snipped the "turn on" wire that was in the conduit and twisted it around the power stud for the lift. This makes the lift work for the time being, further along I'll probably redo this better by running it direct to the switch on the dashboard.

Speaking of rewiring safety systems, I probably should get to finding where the brake interlock stuff actually is. Since getting the bus home, we've had the w/c lift door rattle around enough to briefly set off a buzzer and turn the lights on. We know if the door is open, the service brakes are applied. I worry that perhaps the door will be seen as open and the brakes will apply unexpectedly or stick.

Well that's a problem. Hopefully that seal will still hold enough pressure to pick up my box. I'll have to investigate more later if that seal can be replaced without disassembling or replacing the entire pump.

Update on the electrical box

I think it looks a little better now that the flasher box and its associated wiring is now gone. The air line that was leaking on the solenoid for the crossing gate and stop sign has also been removed by replacing the tee fitting with a straight connector (silver body with green ends).

And the comparison between the new and old marker lights that I had not gotten around to showing until now.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:57 PM   #131
Bus Geek

My bus got robbed shortly after I got it. Lost a bunch of power tools, hand tools, and a Craigslist generator I had stored there (which I later found behind another vehicle on the lot - the DIY wheels had fallen off and the thief couldn't move it further). Is your site secure?

I also bought replacement clearance lights like those, but I couldn't get them to not leak without a big ugly bead of sealer around the outside.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:30 PM   #132
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My bus got robbed shortly after I got it. Lost a bunch of power tools, hand tools, and a Craigslist generator I had stored there (which I later found behind another vehicle on the lot - the DIY wheels had fallen off and the thief couldn't move it further). Is your site secure?
Valid concern, it's not really secure nor does the front door on #19 lock yet, something seems messed up in the mechanism. I am reluctant to keep it as long term storage, ideally I'll store the box in my grandpa's garage. Getting it there is the biggest challenge.

However I now have an interview for First Vehicle Services on Monday so if that interview goes well I'll just bring my tools down to the new shop after picking them up. Should make for an interesting introduction.

Quote:
I also bought replacement clearance lights like those, but I couldn't get them to not leak without a big ugly bead of sealer around the outside.
I needed something quick and while I agree that they most likely won't be water tight, they are serving an urgently needed purpose. I've resealed the back windows on my trucks with clear window sealant and can most likely put up with it on the buses if I need to.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:13 PM   #133
Bus Geek

I like the idea that you are using the bus to get your tools. Good thinking. Exactly the type of thing I keep thinking I need a lift for.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:55 AM   #134
Bus Nut

Mission success. I believe the chest weighs at least 400lbs. With any luck, within 2 weeks I'll get to repeat this to move my tools in a cool shop that works on emergency vehicles.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #135
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
That's awesome!
So jealous of the lift!
If I ever look for a bus it will have a lift! I suppose I could add one to mine...

Good luck on the new gig -- working emergency vehicles should be a similar work ethic environment to working acft -- no cutting corners, no dishonesty...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #136
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I'd leave that tool chest right in the bus and start my own business at your age. Make house calls to these folks here who would love to get to know a decent mechanic.

Best of luck

John
Old 03-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #137
Bus Geek

Like I said earlier ... makes me want a lift in our bus too!
Old 03-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #138
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
That's awesome!
So jealous of the lift!
If I ever look for a bus it will have a lift! I suppose I could add one to mine...

Good luck on the new gig -- working emergency vehicles should be a similar work ethic environment to working acft -- no cutting corners, no dishonesty...
Lol now everyone is asking to have the bus move their college things. Once this whole virus issue resolves I definitely plan to get back to trying to flip buses, might end up with a lift I need to dispose of.

Yes, I look forward to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
I'd leave that tool chest right in the bus and start my own business at your age. Make house calls to these folks here who would love to get to know a decent mechanic.

Best of luck

John
I have long considered doing this and perhaps in a few years I just might. The biggest thing holding me back is experience and equipment. I don't feel quite confident in being a full time road tech, I want to get more diagnostic experience. Equipment is more of a money thing and that should resolve itself with time.

Thank you

I'm leaving tomorrow to go get a destination sign from BaconFarms. Should be an interesting trip and perhaps the last one possible before the country completely locks down.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #139
Bus Nut

It took longer than I expected but I'm now employed in a shop primarily working on emergency vehicles. It's quite a learning curve as fire trucks are more complex than I would've ever expected, but I'm liking this shop. I've also ended up in a much better financial situation than I expected that is allowing me to procure some more tools for these projects.

During my interlude I managed to scrap enough funds to highball up to Wisconsin to pickup the entire message board system out of BaconFarm's Gillig.

Still working on tracking down everything we need to reprogram the board, the most critical of which is a proprietary interface card.

Right now the priority is on #422 making it look nice for sale. This means finish stripping the engine hump, which we completed yesterday, so it can be painted to match the floor. In my spare time after work I'll be fabricating covers for the rear lights, I very roughly cut one out yesterday but it needs a lot of final trimming before painting. The heater line covers are going to come back up to be prepped and painted. The coach seats are going to come back out and be stored in #19 until it's time to install them.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #140
Bus Geek

Wow, someone is going to pick up a gem when they get #422! I think there are at least two on this forum I can think of that would be interested.