Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
Skoolie

Re: The Bus with No Name, yet...

Boneheaded mistakes. That's what I'm best at and I've been making plenty of them. We've been hard at it some more and have more pics in our gallery on p.19. It's been a LOT of work but is coming together nicely. Take a look.

reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 84

Those are awesome photos - thanks for posting so many!

I love the knotty pine. Can't wait to see it finished. I am debating something like that with a semi-transparent white wash over it, or just painting white but using bead board for texture.

You guys are doing really nice work. Where did you get those cool tail lights?

- Tony
dentarthurdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #23
Skoolie

I think a whitewashed pine is a nice look Tony, and pretty easy to do. I bet either will look good. I'm sure the beadboard will look great! The stop and tail(red) lights were available at W-Mart, but we had to order the reverse and turn signal lights. Thanks for the nice words.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #24
Skoolie

Thanks for the nice words, y'all. It has been A LOT of work. On the ceiling, Julie is going to paint blue sky with clouds in the front fading to sunset sky in the back. I've been gone for a few days, we have some 70F days coming up so I think we will try and get some stuff primed and painted or poly'd. Need to drop back and install HWH and build vanity. Picked up drawer guides so need to install drawers and need to install the door. Lots to do!
Old 01-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

reprobate that bus is looking awsome you must be hitting the hundreds of hours labour area with that baby! must be nice to have 70 degree weather im looking outside and its snowing and of course imn in the middle of taking layers and layers of paint off our bus 70 is perfect for painting and prepping looking forward to seeing that step of your conversion thanks for sharing all you and your gfs fine workmanship with us skoolies! timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #26
Skoolie

I'm not sure what the hours are Timbuk, but they are adding up. I'm afraid they will call us back to work, so I'm hitting it hard while I can. Paint and finish work are not my strong suits but we have to take advantage of the weather. Swung a brush all day today putting on poly on the cabinets and trim. Will be doing the same tomorrow. Hey maybe about the time you finish with the outside of your bus I'll be ready to do mine. Wanna come over?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #27
Skoolie

reprobate - I looked through your photos again but couldn't figure out what you did on the floor. What all did you put down there?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #28
Skoolie

All we did on the floor was strip it down to bare metal. Thankfully no rust. Then we rolled out 30lb felt and put down a light grid of 1x stock. Basically I ripped some 1x4's in half and ran the strips lengthwise along the walls and also just inside the wheel wells also lengthwise. We also placed some strips in strategic locations. All of these we screwed down. Then we applied a 3/4" t&g OSB ply over these. We used what I fondly call liquid board stretcher(constr. adh), nails and screws. You don't have to use as heavy a ply as we did, but I like the t&g. Started in the morning and were done by lunch. I would recommend felt, not poly. Poly will trap moisture whereas the felt will breathe, but still act as a moisture barrier. Our finish floor is going to be a laminate floor. Soon to be installed. I hope. New pics to come soon. We've done a lot more. And hey dentartherdent, Wichita Mtns. refuge may be our first trip so maybe we can hook up with you and Matt.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #29
Skoolie

Thanks for the description. Did you put any insulation between the 1x strips?

Can't wait to see more pics - you must be moved in by now!

It would be fun to meet at the Wichita Mountains. Any idea when that would be? I am sure my bus won't be ready yet but I'd love to see yours in person. We need to go back down that way before too long to visit my father-in-law also. It looks like Matt was just there recently. Mount Scott (Oklahoma's one decent mountain) would be good practice for driving a skoolie in some more serious mountains to the West..

thx - Tony
Old 02-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #30
Skoolie

Sorry Tony, I guess I spaced that part out. Yeah we put 1/2" blue foam between the 1x stock. As you know bad weather is on the way, so today we are going to install our money saving(yeah right...this subject will soon be it's own thread) door. Can't wait for you to get into the meat of your bus.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

ha ha reprobate i cant wait to hear about the door install i have a mobile home door in mine but i sure wish i had the old 65 wayne door that came with it that floor sounds like the way to go i looked at some panels but pricey.....keep on bussin....
Old 02-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #32
Skoolie

got any more pics yet? Your public anxiously awaits...
Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #33
Skoolie

Kind indeed, Tony.. A couple of more days and we will have more pics. From 8am yesterday until noon today I cut out cabinet door and drawer front frames. We have 42 cabinet drawers and doors. I know, we've lost our minds. I was layed up ill for about 10 days, but this last week we have kicked ass. Julie has finished up most all of the interior wiring and done some artistic painting on the ceiling. The slide is DONE! Pretty much all the interior trim is done except for the couch frame and of course cabinet doors and drawers. I want to build the couch to fold out like a futon bed or something like it.. The money saving entry door (yeah right) is installed. It looks good but will have it's own thread soon. Have the laminate for the counter tops and will apply soon. Still have to finish the shower but should be no prob. Going to test the water soon for leaks. Have come a long way and still have a long way to go. I don't know if y'all have realized this, but converting a skoolie is a LOT of work.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
Kind indeed, Tony.. A couple of more days and we will have more pics. From 8am yesterday until noon today I cut out cabinet door and drawer front frames. We have 42 cabinet drawers and doors. I know, we've lost our minds. I was layed up ill for about 10 days, but this last week we have kicked ass. Julie has finished up most all of the interior wiring and done some artistic painting on the ceiling. The slide is DONE! Pretty much all the interior trim is done except for the couch frame and of course cabinet doors and drawers. I want to build the couch to fold out like a futon bed or something like it.. The money saving entry door (yeah right) is installed. It looks good but will have it's own thread soon. Have the laminate for the counter tops and will apply soon. Still have to finish the shower but should be no prob. Going to test the water soon for leaks. Have come a long way and still have a long way to go. I don't know if y'all have realized this, but converting a skoolie is a LOT of work.
42 CABINET DRAWERS AND DOORS??? WOW, I'm impressed!!!

Man, you have to start posting those pics, I'm really looking forward to seeing your entry door. If your entry door is anything like the rest of the bus, it's going to be something to marvel.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #35
Skoolie

Well I wanted to say something intelligent for my 100th post, but it passed and I'm not that smart. We've been pretty hard at it once again. I was sick for awhile and it seemed as though we had hit a lull. I believe we've probably brushed on about 2 gallons of poly to date, and alot of paint. And we still have the WHOLE outside of the bus to do. We are currently working on cabinet door and drawer fronts, hoping to have them installed in the next couple of days. Check out our latest pics starting at the bottom of page 7 in our album. http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... ?g2_page=7

As soon as we get the doors and drawers we will post more pics.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

I just checked on your progress and I'm really impressed. Your cabinet work looks fantastic, and that door, WOW!

Did you paint the ceiling before building the walls or after?

Really nice bus.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #37
Skoolie

I love all the trim work. And your choice of colors. I was a little skeptical when you described the ceiling painting but I really like it! Especially the sun. The door looks really nice too - I can't wait to hear the story... Thanks for sharing. You guys are really setting the bar.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #38
Skoolie

Roastings and Tony thanks for the nice comments. We painted the ceiling after the walls. We had access to an airless spray rig but didn't use it. We've brushed and rolled most everything. I'll quote psjespers and say that the pictures are very forgiving.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

rep i just bood the new pics and im impressed looking great lots of attention to detail! nice work on the door ill bet that install took a while never mind the door build time for someone who hates building drawers you sure have lots my wife wouls love those! very nice rep and julie timbuk
Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #40
Skoolie

Very nice, 8wheels! I still don't think Julie's feet have touched the ground since your post. She has a new project so we'll post pics when we're done. Started installing cabinet doors today. Having to wait on some hinge baseplates, but hope to finish soon. Will glue and assemble the bedroom door tomorrow.