Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #581
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Your brake warning will likely be fine when you get the system bled and pressured again.

An internal pressure switch will be normalized shutting the buzzer off and restoring electric boost power.

John
Which system? The brake fluid or the power steering fluid?

PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #582
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I might have you mixed up with someone else who had brake problems last week here.

In any case, if your brake fluid is low you get the buzzer. Not sure but the power steering is likely the same fluid but not exactly sure on your bus. Mine, it is.
So which one is the leaky problem can only be determined by you. Fix that and you are back in business.

John
Old 02-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #583
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
I might have you mixed up with someone else who had brake problems last week here.

In any case, if your brake fluid is low you get the buzzer. Not sure but the power steering is likely the same fluid but not exactly sure on your bus. Mine, it is.
So which one is the leaky problem can only be determined by you. Fix that and you are back in business.

John
Ah ok. Well, I did check the brake fluid level and it's still topped off. The primary boost is provided by power steering fluid from an engine-driven pump that also powers the steering system.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #584
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Went back a few pages didn't see any pics. Really curious about this build because I have similar intentions but I think I will be one of those awful people who tow separately.
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:05 PM   #585
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc11237 View Post
Went back a few pages didn't see any pics. Really curious about this build because I have similar intentions but I think I will be one of those awful people who tow separately.
Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately, I have not done any work on this project in a few years. I still own it and have plans to finish the work, but life has a way of side-tracking hobbies. Stay tuned!
Old 06-13-2020, 09:50 PM   #586

I'm so sorry to hear that. Praying for a speedy recovery
Bear Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #587
Bus Nut

Just to let everyone know, I still start this bus every couple weeks and it always fires up right away and the engine runs fine. I have yet to begin troubleshooting the brake buzzer issue (hydraulic brakes with a Bendix Hydro-Max electric backup system), but the engine-powered brakes do work fine for moving it around the yard. As of a few weeks ago, I’ve positioned the bus on a concrete pad behind the house so the grass on the side yard can re-grow during the summer months.

I intend to renew the registration sometime soon so I can start driving it around Florida when the mood strikes. We have a dog now and it would be nice to bring him along whenever we go out of town for a day and leaving him inside a car is obviously not possible.

I will post whenever something interesting happens, don’t you worry about that.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #588
Bus Nut

I know there are some people who subscribe to this thread and have patiently awaited news on the conversion, however, I have decided to sell it. After thinking long and hard about what I can and cannot do, even with a finished conversion, it's just not in the cards for me.

I will be posting an ad on this site as well as locally. Before then, I am going to fix the brake booster backup motor and give the whole thing a good cleaning. Also need to repair one or two windows. Other than that, this is a perfect platform for a conversion. If anyone is interested in buying it, Private Message me.

Thanks to everyone for your well-wishes and for all the help and information I've received here over the years. Good luck to all of you on your own projects!
Old 09-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #589
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
I know there are some people who subscribe to this thread and have patiently awaited news on the conversion, however, I have decided to sell it. After thinking long and hard about what I can and cannot do, even with a finished conversion, it's just not in the cards for me.

I will be posting an ad on this site as well as locally. Before then, I am going to fix the brake booster backup motor and give the whole thing a good cleaning. Also need to repair one or two windows. Other than that, this is a perfect platform for a conversion. If anyone is interested in buying it, Private Message me.

Thanks to everyone for your well-wishes and for all the help and information I've received here over the years. Good luck to all of you on your own projects!

Glws, your build is very unique and it was one of the first ones I started following when I joined here years ago.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #590
Bus Nut

I spent the better part of the morning testing the HydroMax brake booster and I think the problem is the control module under the dash. All the physical switches seem to be working and the electric boost motor runs when I apply power to the wiring, but nothing seems to energize that motor under what should be normal conditions.

There is literally ONE (1) of these modules available on eBay (used) and they want $200 for it.

For reference, it's an International Brake Control Module Pre-2005, #1658510C3

Tomorrow I'll pull the module out and crack it open. If there is anything obviously damaged that I can fix, I'll try that.

Troubleshooting this system would be a lot easier if the wires weren't all gray.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:02 AM   #591
Bus Nut

An update on the brake booster: I purchased and installed the logic module on eBay (after the seller dropped the price) and it didn't have any effect. The electric booster motor still doesn't run when I depress the brake pedal (ignition off), so I returned it to the seller. It's possible that the used component was defective, but I have no way of testing it and it is still literally the only one available from any source. I might have to bite the bullet and have a professional troubleshoot the system.

Meanwhile, no other news. I want to sell the bus, but I'm not willing to let it go with a brake system that isn't perfect. (If you want to take a chance and tow it to your destination, let me know and we'll talk.)

To be clear, the brakes do work, but the electric booster motor doesn't run when it's supposed to run. The brake booster system will fail if the engine stops running and the vehicle is still moving, meaning you will still be able to actuate the brakes with manual pedal pressure, but that pressure will be in the many hundreds of pounds applied to the pedal.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #592
Bus Nut

SUCCESS! I fixed the brake system.

Not sure exactly how, but I think one of the pedal wiring connectors was corroded. I was taking off, cleaning, and reconnecting everything under the hood and under the dash. The last thing I did was those two connectors and after they were reconnected (and while I was doing something else), I leaned an arm against the brake pedal and heard the booster motor spin up. At first, I thought there was a loose wire in the bundle I was working on, so I kept tugging the bundle to find the intermittent fault, but then realized my elbow was pushing the pedal down just enough to close the contacts on those switches. After reconnecting and buttoning up everything under the hood, I started it up and now it works like new.

The next thread I start will be the sale listing for this vehicle. Someone is going to get an amazing platform for their build, with over 7 feet of head room and no roof raise required.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #593
Bus Nut

This project is now listed for sale in the Classified section of this site. I hope someone will make something very special of this amazing platform.