Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2017, 10:59 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you've got tenants living in your bus, a bottle of peppermint oil would go a long way toward convincing them to find new home. It works pretty good for bugs too sprayed around each entry portal.

You know, that squirrel has probably got all of his nuts in your bus too. This is a rude time of year to kick a squirrel out into the cold. Just sayin.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats one heater you probably dont want to pull out unless you plan to never drive where its below 50 degrees.. keep your front heaters, yank your rears if you need the space.. those heaters are high BTU for a reason.. moisture in a bus is real... the minute you put it on the road at 55-60. that windshield is even harder to heat and will be the first thing to fog up.. clean it up real nice and keep it.. and yeah schools never clean their heaters.. I completelty rebuilt from scratch the driver heater in my DEV bus as it was so bad.. i replaced the guts of the heater box with a heat / cool unit so I could have air-conditioning for the driver..

the red bus was from houston and its heaters werent as bad but still hadnt appeared to have been touched.. (its A/C was even dirty)..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
thats one heater you probably dont want to pull out unless you plan to never drive where its below 50 degrees.. keep your front heaters, yank your rears if you need the space.. those heaters are high BTU for a reason.. moisture in a bus is real... the minute you put it on the road at 55-60. that windshield is even harder to heat and will be the first thing to fog up.. clean it up real nice and keep it.. and yeah schools never clean their heaters.. I completelty rebuilt from scratch the driver heater in my DEV bus as it was so bad.. i replaced the guts of the heater box with a heat / cool unit so I could have air-conditioning for the driver..

the red bus was from houston and its heaters werent as bad but still hadnt appeared to have been touched.. (its A/C was even dirty)..
-Christopher

I agree with chris, keep that one if you can. I feel the same way as you as i've removed mine to clean and such and it'd be a great area for shoes or random stuff right when you come in. My passenger heater like that has coolant lines going to the back of it but it doesn't quite look like your does so it may be a little easier to deal with. you might be losing your defroster on your right window too if that's removed, depending on setup. just another thought.

on another note. what a great bus to start with. would've saved me a year and a half through my build if i started with what you've got! Time is money, you saved quite a bit!

love the name too, lol great choice.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 78
Heater/Defroster Replacement?

No mice detected as of yet, but I did find the evidence of two separate nests. All the more reason to go through and find stuff.

For Clarification, I had no intention of removing the defroster/heater entirely. I do have every intention of trying my darnedest to find a more compact replacement system.... and given technology updates, something must have been developed that's better. It's been 25 years after all.

Photo Album updated weekly: https://thederelictebus.com/photo-gallery/
Velocipedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipedic View Post
No mice detected as of yet, but I did find the evidence of two separate nests. All the more reason to go through and find stuff.

For Clarification, I had no intention of removing the defroster/heater entirely. I do have every intention of trying my darnedest to find a more compact replacement system.... and given technology updates, something must have been developed that's better. It's been 25 years after all.
There have never been ANY mice on the bus. If there are they're Texas/Air Force mice. MAYBE if there are nests they're from peviously when it was in KY.
We don't tolerate pestilence!
I'm pretty sure you won't find much of an upgrade for that heater. Its a 78,000 btu heater/defroster and they're still putting it in buses as far as I know.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #26
Bus Geek

That means the mice I had were city mice, or at least bus barn mice. These are obviously mice that like to put on some miles. They were reluctant to move out but the peppermint oil seems to have convinced them to become hillbilly mice here in the mountains.

They don't like it when you have that front defroster working. About half way to town they start urinating and the entire passenger area floods with a boucay of odor. Now I get minty freshness.

Sounds like you just need to clean your heater core
Old 12-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #27
Skoolie

CB, I believe they were Kentucky mice. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Florida mice and everything is extremely old anyway.

Perusing the forum, it seems like I could consolidate on space by using PVC pipes that are more direct to the needed defrost areas. It’s a huge cabinet. Space isn’t something I can afford to waste.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #28
Bus Geek

10-4.

lol you? space? you got one of the MOST spacious machines on here!
But I get what you're going for. I always hated that thing being there too.
Just make SURE you have heat and especially DEFROST, whatever you do.
And yes, you can get smaller units that would take less space, and still retain the same intustrial chic appearance of the factory Bergstrom.
Just one example-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zirgo-Gobi-...niversal+Truck
I'm not sure that would be enough or not, heating is not my area of expertise by any means.

I really love that the bus went to you, Keith. I want you to know I had LOTs of people who wanted it while I was holding it for you, but I picked you because I could tell you'd treat the bus right. Your attention to detail and desire for quality stuff will pay off big, my friend. You can do SO MUCH BETTER than the jokesters on YouTube!
Thanks for being such a great guy, and thanks for helping us out by buying the bus.
Eddie's got some extra cash now, my medical procedures were paid for, and I have a new bus that fits me better. Could I have made a few more bucks off this bus? Absolutely. But it went to a GREAT home and I can't wait to see you finish it out.

If you get creative and can find places to stash the rear heaters, they're nice to have.
One tucked in somewhere in the restroom would SURE make for comfy dumps on a cold roadtrip.
They also can act as auxillary cooling if you're running hard and need the extra cooling capacity.
Maybe stick one behind the drivers seat for nice toasy rides on that Bostrom seat.
You're gonna LOVE that air ride seat, man! Night and day compared to that stock torture rack of a seat.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #29
Skoolie

As always, Charlie, such kind words. It means a lot to me that you held it. My situation, returning from a deployment etc... left a lot up in the air and I couldn't be more grateful for your patience and hospitality.

I think I'm going to keep one of the rear heaters. Two of them is overkill in my opinion, since my intentions for heating are catalytic propane and a wood stove. I'd really only have it for driving purposes. Truthfully, I don't know how much driving I'll be doing, so for now I'm just leaning towards keeping it until I find out that I don't. Everything on this bus will be done the right way. Even if it takes a little longer.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #30
Bus Geek

where do you plan to travel? if you plan to tracvel north.. you need that high BTUh heater... in my carpenter I totally gutted my driver heater box and installed a brand new heat / Cool unit and defroster.. space-wise i still filled up the whole compartment... I did gain dashboard A/C out of the deal. but I have less heating BTU than I did.. which is OK because i also added a heat / cool unit in the area behind the driver so I made the BTU back there... refrigeration in the defrost means I dont need quite as much heat to defog the glass as im dehumidifying, but still on thise below 30 degree days im running with a lot of heaters on high... my right-side defrost / door heat is a 95,000 BTU system and I run it on high quite frequently when on the highway in cold weather...
-Christopher
Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I was one of the guys who expressed an interest.

It seems to me that a good guy was selling it, and another good guy bought it. I'm good with that.

I have what I wanted too ... good things come to those who wait.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I was one of the guys who expressed an interest.

It seems to me that a good guy was selling it, and another good guy bought it. I'm good with that.

I have what I wanted too ... good things come to those who wait.
I'm real glad it worked out and you got a killer bus, man.
You're gonna LOVE it.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm real glad it worked out and you got a killer bus, man.
You're gonna LOVE it.
I'll find out on Friday when I drive it 475 miles home

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #34
Skoolie

Final coat of paint for the floor!

http://https://youtu.be/2bPChp-loJ4

Picked up the steel and got it primed for the walls.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #35
Skoolie

Video!

Old 12-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipedic View Post
Perusing the forum, it seems like I could consolidate on space by using PVC pipes that are more direct to the needed defrost areas. It’s a huge cabinet. Space isn’t something I can afford to waste.
I was wondering about using PVC with coolant. Seems chemically it would not affect the coolant (make it acidic, etc.) but would the coolant make it brittle? Could it stand the heat of the motor for years? Would vibrations stress it over time until it cracks leaving you stranded or with a blown overheated motor?

I hate the cheesy mounting job of the rubber hoses feeding my rear heater, with them just hanging down from the frame under the bus, waiting to get snagged and ripped out. Hard lines were my first though, but made of what? The metals you use with coolant must be comparable with the coolant and the other metals of the rest of the system.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #37
Skoolie

Definitely not pvc pipes with coolant, but PVC pipes to direct the airflow from the stock heater. That blocky metal box is awful.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #38
Bus Geek

How about you use a larger diameter piece of PVC to enclose your droopy heater hoses.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #39
Bus Geek

they make specific hoses and louvers for routing air... thyey bend nicely and take the heat and the cold.. I kept the ugly metal box in my DEV.. but when it became Heat and A/C, it didnt make it so ugly anymore..nevertheless I needed to get the cold air to the dash. and hot air to the floor.. so I used the flexible hoses and louvers and they work very well.
-Christopher
Old 12-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Nice vid, nice progress!
My only suggestion- turn the background music down, its drowning out your golden voice!