Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #201
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
I would advise against using laminate as strapping. It's just glued together crap with a hard layer of arborite glued to the surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00py View Post
I plan on using laminate as the surface for my strapping.
As in wall paneling going on top of the strapping, not as the strapping itself. Cheap and decorative. I plan on gluing it to the strapping unless someone more wise would suggest using fasteners for whatever reason.

m00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #202
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Ok, yes for finish wall covering, the laminate will work fine.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #203
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH Loadstar 1600
Engine: 345 v8
Looking awesome man! Im going to pull panels today and chase some rust...

Congrats on the healthy kiddo.

Trask
Trask97140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:38 PM   #204
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 77
Great, great build thread, gracias or sharing and the detailed documentation. Belated congrats/welcome to Hunter!

I thought I saw you bought some OSPHO but don't remember reading that you used it anywhere. Did you use it (where if so?) or just the POR 15 products? Just ordered some OSPHO for my bus, wondering if some POR is also in order.

And now a rear engine conversion: W.O.W. Staying tuned.
Shef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #205
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
I thought I saw you bought some OSPHO but don't remember reading that you used it anywhere. Did you use it (where if so?) or just the POR 15 products?
I second this request. What's with that OSPHO yo?
m00py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #206
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00py View Post
I second this request. What's with that OSPHO yo?
The oshpo worked great.

However I used it on all my cars and trucks, not the bus.

I treated a bunch of my friends rides too. I need to get more for the bus.

Work on the bus won't start again till next spring.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #207
Mini-Skoolie

Nat, what is the brand of the foam flooring your are describing as 2-3000 psi?

And I can't find any rigid insulation that would be suitable for an in-floor radiant heat install. What were you thinking of using?
perryT200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:57 AM   #208
Bus Nut

It is going to be a while before you get an answer on that...
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #209
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Are you implying that Nat has been banned? I certainly hope that isn't the case. He was one of the few members with consistently solid building techniques and an active forum presence. Rough around the edges? Sure, but if he has been banned for that reason then that is an indication of a forum community with far too thin skin. Disappointing...
Old 12-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #210
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Are you implying that Nat has been banned?
He's just "Traveling", I'm sure he'll be back soon. I don't know what I missed, but I think he and EastCoastCB ticked the wrong someone off.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #211
Bus Crazy

Traveling, eh? hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryT200 View Post
Nat, what is the brand of the foam flooring your are describing as 2-3000 psi?

And I can't find any rigid insulation that would be suitable for an in-floor radiant heat install. What were you thinking of using?
I'll share my experience with foam. Perhaps it'll be useful to make an educated guess as to next steps:

Rigid foam comes in several densities. 20psi and 30psi are the common residential ones, though they go much higher (I've seen up to 100psi). A 20psi piece of XPS can support 20 pounds of pressure on one square inch before crushing. 30psi is what you'd lay down before pouring concrete for a garage or the like. 20psi is fine for most other uses. That's what I used below my plywood floor and it holding up perfectly well.

I'm only familiar with the pink 20psi and 30psi XPS Owens Corning stuff, which is called Foamular c-200 and Foamular c-300 respectively. Dow chemicals makes XPS foam insulation as well, but it's blue.

I would have no aversion to using these products in a radiant floor heating system as long as the fluid temperature remained at a safe level below the maximum operating temperature of the XPS foam product. Foamular has a max operating temp of 74°C (165°F).

There are a number of ways you could attempt to make trenches in the foam for laying the aluminum heat spread and pipe. A router comes to mind, but it'd be messy. A utility knife could be used to make the cuts for the edges, then a chisel could pop out the in-between chunks.

Additionally, if I were to do a radiant in-floor heating system in a bus using this technique I would want to go with 3"-4" of foam in the floor. 2" is a common XPS thickness, but after creating the trenches for the pipes there would probably be only 1"-1.5" inches of foam beneath the pipes. That's only around R5-R7.5. It seems like a lot of the heat would be lost into the metal bus floor.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #212
Mini-Skoolie

We are on the same page as to foam PSI.

Thing is Nat used the same numbers on a different thread also.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/in...or-3850-7.html

As to radiant heat, this may sound stupid. It sounds stupid to me as I am typing it, but.

Almost thinking to use a 2 inch foam with the aluminum backing, put the PEX on top of it and cover the whole thing with a floor leveler mixture.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #213
Bus Crazy

The only floor leveler mixtures I know of are of the cement/mortar variety. I would expect a 1/2" slab of that stuff to be a crumbled, broken mess after putting a couple thousands kilometres on the bus. In a house it would probably make a decent thermal mass, though.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #214
Mini-Skoolie

I knew there was a reason it sounded stupid to me. I was thinking of nothing but what the PSI was with the material and not the fact that it would probably break into a million pieces if I just went over some railroad tracks.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #215
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryT200 View Post
I knew there was a reason it sounded stupid to me.
haha.. Hey now, buck up chum
Yeh, the bus environment is tricky. You want to avoid brittle things as much as possible since vehicle flex is inescapable. That said, I'll be using some tile in the bathroom (hopefully soon). I'll use flexible grout products - maybe even just beads of caulk - to alleviate the strain on the tiles themselves.

Also, without Nat being a part of this conversation we should relocate ourselves to a new thread if you care to inquire about it any further. That will draw in other member's ideas as well.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #216
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
The blue rigid Styrofoam comes here in two grades. 2000 and 3000. That number references to how many PSI the Styrofoam can take per square foot.
I think I can explain it. "Pounds per square inch ... per square foot" doesn't exactly make sense, but I note that if one takes the 2000 and 3000 as pounds-per-square-foot figures, and divides by 144 to convert square feet to square inches, then one has 13.9 and 20.8 pounds per square inch, or PSI. Viewed this way, nat_ster's numbers are roughly consistent with those cited by jazty (ie they're in the same order of magnitude). I'll guess it was a case of typing too fast and writing "PSI" where "pounds" was meant.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #217
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I think I can explain it. "Pounds per square inch ... per square foot" doesn't exactly make sense, but I note that if one takes the 2000 and 3000 as pounds-per-square-foot figures, and divides by 144 to convert square feet to square inches, then one has 13.9 and 20.8 pounds per square inch, or PSI. Viewed this way, nat_ster's numbers are roughly consistent with those cited by jazty (ie they're in the same order of magnitude). I'll guess it was a case of typing too fast and writing "PSI" where "pounds" was meant.
I guess on the third full moon in Feb that has 29 days, I can go with that FamWag. But I was really looking forward to someone coming up and saying it was some sort of Canadian to US conversion.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #218
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Are you implying that Nat has been banned? I certainly hope that isn't the case. He was one of the few members with consistently solid building techniques and an active forum presence. Rough around the edges? Sure, but if he has been banned for that reason then that is an indication of a forum community with far too thin skin. Disappointing...
He had more posts modded away than another person on here, seriously I would check a thread before bed and the next day half was erased. Usually nat and east going at it. Both of their account activities ceased on the same day... I haven't seen a banned status so I am assuming that he has been. Along with eastcb too. He took way too many threads to the point in which they had to be closed. Yes he did have good information, and absolutely no tact or finesse.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #219
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Yes, they both have been given a temporary time-out
Old 12-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #220
Mini-Skoolie

well that isn't very fair. you delete all the good stuff.

I don't care if they get a time out, just leave their post for entertainment for the rest of us