Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandadventurebus View Post
Ok thanks I want sure I know plenty about gas motors but this is my first diesel and I read that one thread about adding the trans cooler too these so I was planning on doing that I will have to see what the engine temp does when we start to drive it in the summer heat. It seems fine when I drove back I was on the highway for 30 mins or so but it also was like 40 degrees out.

I think we are going to leave factory insulation in the ceiling for now and windows but we are going to paint are roof white and do you know what insulation they use in the side walls is it the same as the ceiling ?
I think it usually is the same kind of insulation. The kind that holds moisture in under the windows where they leaked in your side walls. And that rodents nest in. That stuff is disgusting once it's old. I would at least check it near the rear wheel wells and/or near any place with evidence of a leak.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
It takes a few days to strip out the walls and ceiling to replace insulation that does very little, with new stuff that works. Cost is about $600 for foamboard and maybe $1200 for spray foam for a 40' bus.

It is the best money you can spend on a bus conversion.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
It takes a few days to strip out the walls and ceiling to replace insulation that does very little, with new stuff that works. Cost is about $600 for foamboard and maybe $1200 for spray foam for a 40' bus.

It is the best money you can spend on a bus conversion.
Amen!

If you are going to invest time and money in converting the bus this is a relatively small investment that will reward you with great return.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 71
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I think were going to to do the bus in 2 phases. Phase 1 will be fix the floor seal all the windows insulate the floor and lay a vinyl floor on top of plywood. Also we want to paint the bus during phase 1. Summer is coming quick and we want to use it! We will just use the bus as a big tent and get a feel for it and see exactly what we want in it. When winter rolls around we will start phase 2: Rip the walls and ceiling out to insulate and build out the interior. We'll also need to add water tanks and solar panels. Then I guess phase 3, whatever is left! Bottom line... go on adventures!!
thegrandadventurebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Well hooked the bus up to life support and started cutting the floor up there a few rotted cross members I going cut them out and just replace them with spare tubing
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180317_101302_591.jpg   IMG_20180317_101302_589.jpg   IMG_20180317_101302_590.jpg   IMG_20180317_101302_593.jpg   MVIMG_20180316_212910.jpg  

Old 03-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I would like to ask what you used to cut the flooring? I'm having a rough go of it in my bus .

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 05:44 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
now that the sun angle in ohio is getting nice and high, paint your roof white.. there are many opinions on what paint to use on the roof, but having been in a forum member;s bus that has the elastometric 'BUS-KOTE' type paint on it. i can say that if you arent going to pull the ceilings then I would invest in that type paint.. park the bus out in the sun. and touch your ceiling.. does it get burning hot or stay nearly ambient temp.. that will at least give you an idea if you can keep cool in the summer, obviously heat loss is another issue (as is condensation) in cold weather if you are planning to use it in cold weather.. cooking or heating inside with an open propane flame will create Lots of moisture that will want to cling to any surface thats cold..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I would like to ask what you used to cut the flooring? I'm having a rough go of it in my bus .

A circular saw with the blade set just shy of the depth of the material. Try to avoid hitting screws or nails.

Build Thread
Old 03-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post

i use a air powered angle grinder with a 3in wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
now that the sun angle in ohio is getting nice and high, paint your roof white.. there are many opinions on what paint to use on the roof, but having been in a forum member;s bus that has the elastometric 'BUS-KOTE' type paint on it. i can say that if you arent going to pull the ceilings then I would invest in that type paint.. park the bus out in the sun. and touch your ceiling.. does it get burning hot or stay nearly ambient temp.. that will at least give you an idea if you can keep cool in the summer, obviously heat loss is another issue (as is condensation) in cold weather if you are planning to use it in cold weather.. cooking or heating inside with an open propane flame will create Lots of moisture that will want to cling to any surface thats cold..
-Christopher
We are going to definitely going to paint the roof white do you know the best place to buy the it can you get it at home depot or a paint store or just online thanks
Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandadventurebus View Post
i use a air powered angle grinder with a 3in wheel

We are going to definitely going to paint the roof white do you know the best place to buy the it can you get it at home depot or a paint store or just online thanks
Home Depot sells a white elastomeric paint that is going on the roof of mine.

Build Thread