Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #341
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: The Journey Visvi 1999 Thomas MVP ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
I love your roof raise idea. I am anxiously awaiting to see the end product.
So am I

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #342
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Me too!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #343
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Me three!!!

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #344
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

looking great!
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #345
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger

I apologize if I missed it but what jigsaw blades have you been using to cut through that steel, and how have they been working? I want to buy the good stuff for when I need to deal with sheet metal.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #346
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches
I apologize if I missed it but what jigsaw blades have you been using to cut through that steel, and how have they been working? I want to buy the good stuff for when I need to deal with sheet metal.

It is the DEWALT 5.5-Amp Jig Saw that made the difference. I use to have a cheap RIDGID jig saw. The blades twisted and made it hard to stay on line. I know I will be making a lot of cuts both in steel and wood and bought a good saw. I use Bosch blades on it. I started out with a fine tooth blade first, then got a medium tooth blade and the straight cuts where much faster. When I get out to the bus again I will write down the blades i have.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #347
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey
...It is the DEWALT 5.5-Amp Jig Saw that made the difference...
Thanks for that tidbit. I am getting ready to replace my ancient Craftsman jig saw that finally died after about 20 years of use. I see that you can get a cheap jig saw for around $40, whereas the Dewalt is $100. A bit more than twice as much... hmmm... a hard pill to swallow, but I think you are right that it pays to invest in quality tools if you plan to use them in the long run. I think I will likely go with the Dewalt as well, or something comparable. I see Home Depot has a Bosch and a Makita and a Milwaukee for about $25-$50 more than the Dewalt. Anyone else have long term experience with any of these brands? Is the Dewalt pretty much comparable quality and just a better deal price-wise?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #348
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:
...It is the DEWALT 5.5-Amp Jig Saw that made the difference...
Thanks for that tidbit. I am getting ready to replace my ancient Craftsman jig saw that finally died after about 20 years of use. I see that you can get a cheap jig saw for around $40, whereas the Dewalt is $100. A bit more than twice as much... hmmm... a hard pill to swallow, but I think you are right that it pays to invest in quality tools if you plan to use them in the long run. I think I will likely go with the Dewalt as well, or something comparable. I see Home Depot has a Bosch and a Makita and a Milwaukee for about $25-$50 more than the Dewalt. Anyone else have long term experience with any of these brands? Is the Dewalt pretty much comparable quality and just a better deal price-wise?
I used Makita for 5 years before the 20 volt Dewalt's came out. They started the lithium ion trend. However, there came a time that they fell behind. The 20 volt Dewalt's blew right passed them in performance.

I use both Milwaukee and Dewalt. It all depends on what tool in the line up your buying. For the jig saw I also use the Dewalt. Don't even consider the other brands you mentioned. They are not in the same class or tool. They are more intended for the guy that will only use them once a month. The tool brands all switched owners a few years ago, and a bunch merged. We use our tools everyday to make our living, so I only buy the best I can get.

I run the cordless 20 volt, and 12 volt Dewalt, cordless M12 and M18 Milwaukee. It all depends on what tool you need from their fleet. I have everything from the cordless die grinder, 3/4 impact, lasers, impact screw guns, saws all, skill saw, flashlight, flush cut saw, ect.

One more thing. If choosing cordless, Milwaukee and Dewalt both have a 4 ah battery. Biggest before was 3 ah. All I can say is wow. The better cells in the new 4 ah battery's realy help the high load tools perform. I never grab a corded skill saw anymore. Just don't need to. The tools run cooler, and longer.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #349
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches

It is the DEWALT 5.5-Amp Jig Saw that made the difference. I use to have a cheap RIDGID jig saw. The blades twisted and made it hard to stay on line. I know I will be making a lot of cuts both in steel and wood and bought a good saw. I use Bosch blades on it. I started out with a fine tooth blade first, then got a medium tooth blade and the straight cuts where much faster. When I get out to the bus again I will write down the blades i have.
Thanks. I currently have a Black & Decker jigsaw from the mid-90's that has served me well but is a pain to change blades on (2 flat head screws that are basically stripped out).

I bought a milwaukee Li-ion drill / impact gun set that I love. Tough little tools and the battery lasts all day. DeWalt makes great stuff too. I used to hate cordless stuff when they used the Ni-Cad batteries because they were garbage for the application (high startup current and high drain) which led me to prefer corded stuff. But I may start to prefer battery stuff due to the power constraints where I am working, I don't want to have to run a generator all the time...
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #350
Bus Nut

Looks like my spending for the bus is on hold for a while. My car broke down and it will cost a little of my bus money to fix. I still have a lot to do with what I already have. Time to finish the roof, install the two top windows and two RV windows up front. I already have a radio, air horn and rear/side blind spot camera system. Plenty to work on until I get some money again.

I want to move my heat system off the bus battery to a house battery, so I can use it with the bus turned off. I already have a battery isolator, 50 amp charger from the van build I did. I was hoping to get the bus insulated before winter. That may not happen now.

I guess I can sleep right next to the heater when traveling. With 45,000 btu, I should be able to melt the snow right off the bus.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #351
Bus Geek

Hell move south...ugh...past us tho'.....we still need those heater things
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #352
Bus Nut

I head over in the morning to button things up and get to finally drive the bus a whole eight miles to meet porkchopsandwiches. Yippee!

I did get my car back and it runs nice, but I'm about $3000.00 dollars poorer. There went all my money for the bus. Like I said before I have a lot I can still do for now. Some things will have to wait a little while until the bus fund builds back up.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #353
Bus Geek

What did they fix that it cost that much?

My cars only cost $1000

Nat

Old 10-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #354
Bus Nut

It is a all wheel drive Volvo cross country wagon. Parts are not cheap. Had to replace the drive shaft and front CV joints. It is a 2002 with 120,000 miles.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 10-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #355
Bus Geek

Nice, all wheel drive.

I wish my little pocket rocket was all wheel drive. Tires slip way too easy.

My wife Shayleen posing with it in Jasper Alberta at the Hot Springs.

Nat

Old 10-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #356
Bus Nut

Re-ran the wire harness for the bus, so I can drive it. Discovered that I had to cut the side turn signals and marker lights. I made it to where porkchopsandwiches has his bus located. I took the front tarp off but left the rear on. Between all the new sheet metal with no insulation and the tarp flapping. It was a loud ride. I forgot how much I enjoy driving this thing.

Here are the twins.

It rained off and on all day, so I decided to wire up the lights so I don't have to worry about being pulled over. While I was at it I started to change out the lights with the led lights I bought.

Here is one of the marker lights lit. They are much brighter than the original.

Here is one of the side turn signals. This one did not have the gasket, so I used silicone sealant.

Yea, mine is a little taller than his. Can't wait for good weather to finish this darn roof.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 10-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #357
Bus Geek

I love it. I'm so glad you both have someone to work on your buses with. Two people get three times the work done. Especially when working on a roof.

If I had my way and owned land, I would start a bus community. A affordable place to park, and plug in. It would be great.

Nat

Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #358
Skoolie

Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060

This is funny, I can't wait til one of us starts cursing Montgomery county buses to hell. Where in Massachusetts you going?
ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #359
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePimentals
This is funny, I can't wait til one of us starts cursing Montgomery county buses to hell. Where in Massachusetts you going?
Not sure what you mean by this. I was not planning to go to Massachusetts.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #360
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: international
Engine: 7.3

I painted mine with a brush and roller in 4 hours in a Menards parking lot.
lifeintheslowlane is offline   Reply With Quote