Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: International
Engine: 392 International-Gasolin
The Juggernaut-my unstoppable project

Well I've been ghosting around this site for the past couple months reading, learning and appreciating many of the fine machines I have seen on here. I decided it was time to unleash the project I picked up this August. What started as a whim (I wanted a camper to take my dogs with me when I went walk-about) turned into an all out obsession. Ever get on craigslist late at night? haha. The previous owner had done much of the interior work, but what made me seal the deal was the additional 2 motors that came with the trade plus the newly rebuilt one sitting in the chassis. I will give the gent his due...he was a good wrench when it came to building the motor....but not an electrician or builder by any means. I learned very quickly of the wonders of chasing broken wires, mystery wires, and "what the heeeelll is that" over 40 feet of under bus environment. I have big plans for this old tank...and thusly dubbed it The Juggernaut. The 392 is coupled to an Allison 6 speed in a pusher configuration. Shes not fast...but it is reliable--now it is---the day of purchase it I blew a transmission pan (yes...it rusted through) and barely made it home.
SO I submit to you these pics....I seek input and critiques....I'm currently redoing the entire electrical (shore-generator-inverter) and considering adding some solar to the roof. I am also interested in running a dual fuel (gasoline/propane) on the motor...would greatly appreciate some input. And any other words to the wise....As it evolves...I will post when I can.
thanks
Deacon75

Deacon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: The Juggernaut-my unstoppable project

Welcome to the Madhouse! --- Nice lookin' rig...what did she start life as?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

I love it!!
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

Nice, I like the old international decal on the back. The dash board looks like the old international grain trucks I use to drive for my grandfather. Do you have the old high/low switch for the differential?

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Wow! Thanks for all the positivity!
From what the PO and the title says--it started life out as a 1970 Superior School Bus---although I haven't been able to find any flatnose ones to reference. The dash is the original--I did just restore it though--sandblast and some hammered look rustoleum. Took all the gauges apart and cleaned them and updated any electricals I could--sometimes just a good cleaning will revive some old technology. And there are a few switches and levers that "go to nowhere). There was a mount for the transmission retarder underneath the floor--and there is still an "push button" choke and mechanical pull to set the throttle anywhere you want (sorta of like a suicide cruise control ) Next to that plate is a switch for "slippery and dry" conditions. I've been underneath many many many (did I say many) times and did not see an actuator or box on the differential...although there is a GIGANTIC IHC stamped into it. The retarder on the old Allison-6-speed---MT-40 transmission. I've done my best in the short time to upgrade the mechanical--- rebuilt the holley carb (390 cmf), rewired entire engine bay, installed electronic ignition and new Accel coil, new Bosch iridium plugs and Accel wires. I re-designed the exhaust-PO had a set of Thrush turbos dumping out right under bus (under bedroom) so at any stoplights it would fill the back full of smog. Now it steps up from 2 1/2 inch from manifolds to 3 inch flowmasters---does a 180' turn and out the back of the bus. Out of the 40 some odd wires I had in a very old wiring harness--I ended up using 6. The rest were just old runs for ? . I want to do some converting of the intake--instead of the 40 foot draw from the front of the bus I would like to make louvers on the side--I'm thinking something more compact and efficient. (I would love to drop a diesel in..suggestions are more than welcome).
My plans are sink some cash in it over the next year---the main bases are covered. PO put new rubber and brake linings on before the trade.
I am going to go though and rewire /replumb the interior--update electrials and well...make this unit my "Arizona or Bust" machine for next year.....Yes a move is in the works.
So any thoughts? Anyone do the gas to diesel switch?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

Great looking bus.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Wow! Sounds like you've been busy.

Your rig has that "urban assault vehicle" look.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT

Sounds like you are way ahead of the game and going about it right. A diesel switch will likely be costly going in, but personally, I love'em. And you don't need a monster truck engine to pull that puppy. There are even inline sixes with plenty enough torque if it's geared right. Start by checking the torque rating on your existing motor. That'll tell you what that minimum number is like. Then go to one of the online calculators for rpm/wheel size and gear ratios. From there you can calculate your speed potential and necessary gearing for any given rpm. Diesels are happiest at their "sweet spot" and you will likely have to play some gearing games to get the most out of any engine/tranny combination but those numbers are a good place to start. Just keep in mind that diesels turn a lot slower. As long as you can find an engine with adequate torque that produces it at the right rpm, with the right gears it will be fine.

Here's one of the calculators I've used...

http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Bus Geek

I like the looks...doesn't look like a school bus conversion at first glance
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

I wouldn't want to replace a fresh international gasser.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Ya know, it is a good motor, and the PO sent along 2 extra motors with the trade. They both need a rebuild but I have parts galore. I've done my research on the motors--no a ton of HP, but the torque is decent and they are faithful as a hound. This old graybeard I know says he had one in his pulling truck...would stay at 3600 rpm all day long from here to North Carolina. I've upgraded most of the externals over the past 2 months--going to replace mechanical fuel pump with electric (have an idea for propane dual fuel conversion) and some other things. The MT-40 Allison is faithful, but ancient. I was thinking that it may see a change before the motor does. I'm setting up for a winter interior remodel--- replace and trace wiring---new inverter/converter/ charger/ transfer switch set up---just ordered a bunch of led lighting for the 12 volt side of things. I'm a tinkerer at heart...so I'm trying to figure out the most bang for the buck...most storage vs. sacrafice...effeciency vs. luxury. I redid the entire roof immedately after purchase, so I'm all good for the long Michigan winters...had 8 yards of crushed gravel put down in the driveway for the Juggernaut to sleep on...got my tire covers and all the antifreeze ready to go. Now comes pulling out old stuff and replacing.
I wasnt sure it was a conversion either til I removed some of the padding and saw the emblems from it's "service" days. I would like to find the conversion company if I could , but no luck so far. There are a few things the PO did that I am not entirely kosher with...but hey...thats what this is all about isnt it! Customize customize Customize... One thing I cant complain about is the king size bed in the back....it eats up the back of the bus , but I'm 6'2 and 260 lbs...it helps for a good rest at the end of the trip.
Thanks for the comments! I cant wait to start posting stuff of the remodel.
Cheers!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

I'm wondering if this might have been a military spec bus. I have a friend that had one several years ago that looked just like this bus.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I wish I could find out. The Michigan cold is starting to settle in here and I'm trying to get everything winterized. It's amazing how much you find out as you start digging into the innards. Lots of rewiring and re plumbing....basically it was all show and go...but no fore thought. Been utilizing google sketchup a lot to get some plans figured out. Right now...buying parts. Basically setting up the electrical management system with shore-generator-inverter design. Trying to figure where the previous owner decided to run things...or not to run them. (So far only one minor 110v shock from a random wire). Switching all cabin lighting over to led, redesigning shower and bed area. Figuring out where all this power is going..not going...and the "flying spaghetti monster" that resides behind the accessory switch panels.
So heres one for all of you out there. All of the existing water heat from the engine is intact, it's not hooked up, but it's there...lots of loose copper pipe clanging around underneath. I am tempted to remove the heater cores and use the additional space for a ducted heat system and more room in the cockpit. I'm sure I could get by with an improved electric heat design or something comparable. As I look for input before making a decision (measure twice, cut once) I would welcome some input. Also, there are no tank monitoring systems on it yet, its a "pee and pray" ordeal. The blackwater is a decent size tank, but the freshwater is undersized (and under the sink.) All will be mounted below deck in the spring. Any suggestions on a monitoring system?
Just checking in...
Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71

That thing really is a tank. Pretty awesome looking!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon75
Any suggestions on a monitoring system?
Might want to check out See Level Gauges, I've read purple having pretty good luck with them
http://garnetinstruments.com/

Edit: and I forgot to say your bus is awesome looking!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Engine: 3126

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkblots84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon75
Any suggestions on a monitoring system?
Might want to check out See Level Gauges, I've read purple having pretty good luck with them
http://garnetinstruments.com/

Edit: and I forgot to say your bus is awesome looking!

I'm going with See Level Gauges too, but I read people having pretty good luck with them, not sure about the purples.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Well today the fun stuff started to arrive...the electrical toys... as far as my AC/DC management/inversion/conversion stuff goes anyways. Been sort of reading , theorizing and then purchasing on a "Phase I...2...3" mentality. At heart, I'm a tekkie...and my plans are to make a mobile HTPC a center part of my install, nothing too extravagant...but enough to do what I need and be an outlet for entertainment etc. I plan on running 2-4 batteries undercarriage...not certain if I want to go with 6 volt or standard 12 volt. But right now I have two bases covered. The AIMS 3way switch offers a pretty nice automatic sense and changeover I want with having mobile computer systems with me...and of course the pure sine wave 1000 watt should be enough to operate what I need for the time being. The Onan will take care of the 110v dry camping or if other heavier equipment is going to be needed while mobile. I want to add 4 solar panels on the top with a controller to constantly charge the batteries in the long run. ( I got plans kids!)
So now it's on to doing a breadboard of it all, figuring for outlets and all the accouterments.
I'm in the process of researching some other retrofits..and upgrades. I'm still weary bout the 392 motor...and have been pacing about a DT466 with an Allison I've been seeing on Craigslist. Since it's a pusher I'm envisioning it just dropping right in...but I know it isn't the case ( I'm also a bike builder and motor tweaker). I never truly trust something I haven't torqued myself...let set for a day...and then retorqued. Anyone willing to chime in on the potential...let me know. I know it would be more savvy to just buy a bus with a diesel already in it...but cmon...look at this thing!!!! It begs for the miles to be put on it haha.
So here are a few goodies I thought I would show off... first things first...have this pesky leak in a roof vent I cant seem to find...I've eternabonded the seals and coated everything 4 times...yet...hard rain and I get a damp spot on the back vent...grrr Hope everyone is A-Ok

This would be the "Juggernaut Development Lab"
Old 01-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

What a great bus! I'm thinking that it is the one and only gas powered pusher configuration bus that I have ever seen for a reason though. With that said if it was me and I was only putting a few thousand miles on it every year, I would put the flashers on and use the slow lane. On the other hand if you're going to criss-cross the continent and have the means that diesel swap sounds like the way to go! Either way we need more updates on this project!
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:48 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Those 392's are good old motors.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #20
Bus Nut