Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Smile The Kid loves Buses! *We just bought a bus!*

Ha!
Wow what a day! OK i am pretty spazzy, so be forewarned...

Wake up to a new of my dream bus about 70miles away.
Email and ask to hold it, and on my way!

1984 GMC with a big block 454 *drool*
5 speed manual transmission.

Ride home was like wrastling a giant bear down the highway.
Grinding gears like a teenager. yikes!

What an amazing story about how i was about to book a greyhound from VA to Pittsburgh for my dream bus when i asked the Universe for guidance and my gut said

"Wait, i have something better. "

I was like "better than my dream GMC with 100k miles, 5 speed manual transmission for $xxxx?!"

Surely my gut was mistaken, that bus is worth twice that and almost exactly what i want....

4 days later; bus with my dream motor (454 big block GMC) for $200 less, and 280 miles closer! How is that even possible?!

TO BE CONTINUED...

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

pics

GMC Bus - Album on Imgur
Old 05-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

I seriously doubt your bus has a 454 big block. Most likely it has a 366 big block. It might have a 427 big block.

The 454 was never used in medium duty applications and only in cars and light trucks.

The Townawanda big blocks used in the medium duty line were much better engines than the 454. They had very little in common with the 454 outside of the basic design. The cams and intakes were designed to bring on the power early and be done by about 3,600 RPM. Don't try to wrap it up like a 454. If you do you will soon find your engine blowing up.

Be prepared for fuel mileage in the 4-6 MPG range. Be glad you it doesn't have an Allison. Hooked to an automatic you would need to figure on 2-5 MPG.

On first glance it would appear as if you have found a pretty nice bus--not yellow, pretty straight and clean, and no visible rust.

Good luck!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
I seriously doubt your bus has a 454 big block. Most likely it has a 366 big block. It might have a 427 big block.

The 454 was never used in medium duty applications and only in cars and light trucks.

The Townawanda big blocks used in the medium duty line were much better engines than the 454. They had very little in common with the 454 outside of the basic design. The cams and intakes were designed to bring on the power early and be done by about 3,600 RPM. Don't try to wrap it up like a 454. If you do you will soon find your engine blowing up.

Be prepared for fuel mileage in the 4-6 MPG range. Be glad you it doesn't have an Allison. Hooked to an automatic you would need to figure on 2-5 MPG.

On first glance it would appear as if you have found a pretty nice bus--not yellow, pretty straight and clean, and no visible rust.

Good luck!

Ahhh ok thanks for the info. Yea i saw the headers and could tell it was a big block, just figured it was the 454. You figure it could be the 427 but most likely the 366?

Yep about 6mpg, and she sounds wrapped up around ...well must be around 3 grand.

I wasn't the best candidate to drive her back from Hampton VA but i wasnt the worst either lol She is a good bus yep. Needs a tune up but i look forward to that. And there must be $50 worth of alluminum Thomas plates on the back of each bench seat.

Here's my new song " Theeee seat will come out tomorrowwww tomorrowwwww!"
Old 05-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You bet your bottom dollar on tomorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrow.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Vid of my first day inside the bus without seats.

My youtube Screen name is carytowncat
I will post short vids of all my projects