Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Engine: Chevy 350
The Kool Bus

Hey guys!

My name is Gregg and I bought myself a bus on Monday, the 24th. I'm a 21 year old college student living in rural Minnesota with a degree in architectural drafting, working as a drafter, a pizza man, and a tire/lube tech. We brought her home in the dark, outside might as well have been sight unseen because we only saw it out in the countryside with no light except from that of our phones. My girlfriend and I had the intention of trying to convert a bus into a skoolie so we had started half-heartedly looking for buses for sale. Facebook ads, Craigslist ads, talking to people we know about buses, motors that are decent, performance, good price points. We only really had a week or two of research about buses before we decided to dive in. Due to shop experience, I can do oil changes and basic part replacements... on cars, check to see what's bad. However, I don't know anything about a bus, diesel or otherwise...

Anyway, enough about me. More about the bus!

She's a 1970 Chevrolet Bus! She's got a small block 350 under the hood mated with a 4 speed manual/2 speed rear end. Not exactly what we were looking for, but gas makes me feel a bit more comfortable. I've never owned a manual vehicle before besides my motorcycle... she's going to take some practice, but it makes driving it more interesting. They were asking $1500... I showed a lot of hesitation since I try to be financially responsible... but I also wanted a bus. So they guy dropped her down to $1000. She runs nice, drives nice, and looks cool as hell.

She was used as a rough conversion before, used at racetracks I think. Some old gross 2x4s and some disgusting old mattress doesn't count as a conversion in my book.

PICTURES!

Needless to say, the inside needed to be gutted. And by gutted, I mean gutted. The first few days I had it, I had a lot of buyer's remorse. I bought a bus. I have bills I can pay off. I can't find a perfect place to keep it. I don't have carpentry, electric, plumbing skills. We almost got ticketed the first night we had it because the tabs are two years out of date. I don't know how to drive a manual through mountains, let alone a bus with a manual. Before even trying that, can a carbureted motor even make it up a mountain??

Alas, I had some support from my introduction thread from some kind members here. Even if it doesn't work out with this bus, at least next time we'll know what we want. So after finding a place I can park it temporarily, I started some demo on the inside.

I got everything unbolted, unscrewed, and loose, ready for removal. I was going to save some of the wood, but decided against it since it was all construction grade garbage screwed into whatever part of the bus he wanted using whatever fastener he could find.

Today we got some time in, and took a trip to the dump. Surprisingly, they let us empty her out for $5. Goodbye old RV table and chairs, gross wood bunks, and other completely random items.

We got her back home, and started other random projects after a quick stop at Menards, dreaming of flooring and appliances and cabinets we could use. Checked out insulation and wall panels. Just researchin'.

I removed some of the old tin riveted over the windows. I'm not a fan of covering them up -- it's natural light! We removed one side before my drill bit broke and removed the angle iron holding the seats up. So. Many. Bolts.

I'm not sure how we'll patch all the rivet holes yet...

...but if anyone needs an extremely long piece of angle iron, hit me up.

All in all, I'm starting to get over the shock of me buying a bus and it's all shear excitement. It's happening. I'm pumped. Let's make this cool old gem something fun worth looking at. I love the attention she gets and I'm looking forward to see how this bus will end up, and where she'll take us.

TheKoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yeah!! that bus looks to be in pretty good shape!!!! rockin!!

so if it goes up the hills slow.. big deal... the truckers go up hills slow too and they do it day in and day out...

you'll soon find as you travel in yopur bus that going fast becomes less and less of a desire..

when i got my Carpenter bus... i was all excited because it could go 65 on the freeway... i got new tires that were slightly bigger and then it could go nearly 70... but guess what its much more comfortable and easy to drive at 55...

it causes me to road trip in different ways... instead of running fast and hard just to reach a destination... it causes me to stop often. to slow down and see the scenery about.. to pay attention...

so even though the DEV will go 65 I drive it at 55..

I recently got another bus.. a newer one... (dont ask its a long story)... so I have 2 now... and it will run 65-70 all day long and doesnt strain doing it... even up the hills in tennesee and kentucky it doesnt slow down much at all.. again I find I like to drive that one at 60...

its a school bus.. its not a racer.. (though you can certainly tow a trailer wit ha racwer behind you)..

you'll learn that 4 speed and the 2 speed rear end.. and how to master the gear thats a good mix for speed and hill climbing... it will take time but you'll get it..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
yeah!! that bus looks to be in pretty good shape!!!! rockin!!

so if it goes up the hills slow.. big deal... the truckers go up hills slow too and they do it day in and day out...

you'll soon find as you travel in yopur bus that going fast becomes less and less of a desire..

when i got my Carpenter bus... i was all excited because it could go 65 on the freeway... i got new tires that were slightly bigger and then it could go nearly 70... but guess what its much more comfortable and easy to drive at 55...

it causes me to road trip in different ways... instead of running fast and hard just to reach a destination... it causes me to stop often. to slow down and see the scenery about.. to pay attention...

so even though the DEV will go 65 I drive it at 55..

I recently got another bus.. a newer one... (dont ask its a long story)... so I have 2 now... and it will run 65-70 all day long and doesnt strain doing it... even up the hills in tennesee and kentucky it doesnt slow down much at all.. again I find I like to drive that one at 60...

its a school bus.. its not a racer.. (though you can certainly tow a trailer wit ha racwer behind you)..

you'll learn that 4 speed and the 2 speed rear end.. and how to master the gear thats a good mix for speed and hill climbing... it will take time but you'll get it..

-Christopher
Thanks! I appreciate the input. I don't think I'll mind going 55 with it, it'll just be a weird change since I'm usually doing 5 mph over in a car down the interstate lol.

The last few days we got some more of the demo done. I bought an angle grinder to help with some of the pesky old bolts and to cut out the stupid RV chair that was stuck to the floor. I started ripping up the original floor and even though I was planning on redoing the subfloor, I'm glad I incorporated that into my budget because the old stuff is rotten as hell and it could probably use some new wood anyway.

Still don't quite have a floor plan nailed down, but looking into all the things we know we want -- shower, bedroom, different kinds of flooring, wood stove. I think this will be pretty cool when it's done.

I was debating leaving the sheet metal walls alone but its pretty difficult to not mess with it when the floor tucks under it. I don't like the look of it, and I don't think I would even if I painted it... so I think it'll disappear too. I'll probably start budgeting as I keep watching YouTube videos and exploring the forum for inspiration while we carry on with the demo.

Pictures from the last few days:

Old 11-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

A bit has changed since the last posting... we bought it eight days ago yesterday. Two trips to the dump, an $18 angle grinder, a few dollars in drill bits and a cheater bar is all I've spent so far. Not too bad.

I found some pink insulation on Craigslist, (7) new sheets 4' x 8' x 1.5" for $100. Not sure if it's the best deal but it's cheaper than a store, right?

Still not entirely sure about what direction we'll go for heat, be it propane or wood stove. I like both ideas. I like wood because while it does seem like it could be annoying to collect sometimes, it's plentiful and looks better. I'm almost looking forward to trying to figure out how to make it a safe home in the bus with corrugated steel and fiber cement, but who knows. Propane I'm sure is more efficient and easier to deal with... maybe even cheaper and more practical since I'm sure we'll eventually use it for hot water as well. I got some more accurate measurements today now that the bus is nearly done being gutted. Next I want to take down the few panels directly above the windows and then we have a few rust areas to deal with... I need to find a handy man. We have three or four rust holes and counting. I'd be more annoyed if this wasn't Minnesota where everything rusts anyway and if I haven't seen newer buses on this site with more rust than my 46 year old bus, lol.

I'm really hoping once we get done insulating and putting the new subfloor down it rides a bit quieter. I haven't had a chance since the shotty job the previous owner did left loose garbage everywhere and every other time it's been driven has been with debris everywhere.

I also want to start figuring out how to convert the front bi-fold door into a single panel door that operates like a normal door. I love that it maintains the look of the bus but is by far more functional and more practical. Any input here would be awesome.

I think I'll leave all the driver area's stuff the way it is, just clean it up and give it some paint...

I also found out the handy trick -- if you can't get a screw out, turn it into a flathead using the angle grinder and a cutting wheel. Worked like a charm with the random assortment of screws and bolts in the ceiling. The fasteners in this bus are incredibly random.

Anyway, all I have is a couple pictures since the last ones I took before these went corrupt. Not much has changed anyway.