Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #821
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Well if you have a scanner, there you go. Scan the drawings and save them in whatever format you like. PDF would be the best for paper documents; GIF, JPG, PNG et al are intended more for photos.

As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #822
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Have seven drawings. Diving into Makeagif.com.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:55 PM   #823
Bus Geek

That's with a total of 48 inches roof raise, and a total height around 13' to 13' 6".
I will add measurements soon.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #824
Bus Geek

A more conventional approach.
Of course, lifting the hinge could be avoided by installing it a bit higher and narrowing the bunk a bit. But I'm having fun.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:20 AM   #825
Bus Geek

Now....
This configuration has merit. It allows someone to snooze on the sofa and also to sit on it without bumping their head.
Of course, we do that already with the hinged-upward second bunk. But this converts to full backrest in a jiffy.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #826
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
you going to have to pick and chose your travel routes with 13/13.5 height.
You might no longer be able to pull in to just any fuel station either.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #827
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Those are fantastic animations! I hadn't considered the case in which the bottom of the bed becomes the back of the sofa, but it's an interesting idea. The inclination of the lower bed as an anti-wedgie feature is great.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #828
Bus Geek

Agent Bond, I drove 18-wheelers for 27 years.

About refueling.... Millicent has only one fuel tank, and sometimes the fuel dispenser is on the wrong side, unless I turn around. To solve that, I'm in the process of installing a second filler neck. When I finish it, I will show it off here.

I have a second fuel tank I could install, and I would like to have the extra capacity, but I need the space for a water tank.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #829
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 5.9
looking at my couch at home the cushions seem to be level. I think the angle can be provided for by sinking into the cushion when you sit down. Depending on cushion material. I am thinking about going with foam as matress
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #830
Almost There

Was thinking like this. Can pad the hard side of second bunk to protect head nock. I like the idea of being able to clear max floor space

With a 3 foot lift how much space you think there will be over driver for a sleep loft? maybe 4 feet
Old 11-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #831
Bus Geek

Hmmm.... Ya gotta index the pages more accurately. And add intermediate stages of folding. (I'm having fun!)

Well, let me go out and measure....

Brrrr. Nippy out there.

Sitting in the driver seat, the little round mirror on top of my head is around 55" off the floor. I know I need several more inches when I lean forward to look out the side window, so call it 62".

Mattress 9", plus the frame that supports it -- call it 10". So now we are up to 72" = six feet. That's just a couple inches less than the factory ceiling!

Millicent currently has a 24" raise, so that's how much elbow room I would have with a fixed loft.

But I don't drive with the Captain's bunk down. It is hinged at the wall and folds up. So in the current mounting, I have 33" room for my willowy self in my bed.

With a fixed loft, the roof raise is your human-body space in the bed.

Obviously, these are not exact numbers.
There is simply no substitute for mocking it up in the bus and trying it out.

Here's an important point that applies to my Captain's bunk: I use a passenger seat -- an original bus seat -- as the ladder to get into the bunk. So I must consider not only the height of the bunk, but also its fore-and-aft relationship to that passenger seat.

Any of this make sense?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #832
Almost There

Do you think this will work over driver. I am planning on moving the door between the axles

Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #833
Bus Geek

Yes, that would give the driver plenty of headroom. (Just be sure to always be snugly buckled in, since a bus can launch the driver dramatically upward on a big bump. Of course, this applies even with unlimited headroom.)

You would need some sort of mechanism to lift the bunk, since it would be unrealistic to do it by hand.
And you would want an ABSOLUTELY FAIL-SAFE locking system, so it cannot possible fall down while you are in the driver's seat, since that could very well kill you.

I have not yet gotten around to posting the measurements I promised to go with my gif, but I will, eventually.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #834
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
Agent Bond, I drove 18-wheelers for 27 years.

About refueling.... Millicent has only one fuel tank, and sometimes the fuel dispenser is on the wrong side, unless I turn around. To solve that, I'm in the process of installing a second filler neck. When I finish it, I will show it off here.

I have a second fuel tank I could install, and I would like to have the extra capacity, but I need the space for a water tank.
I hate that about a skoolie!! the fuel neck being on the right side.. works fine for pulliung up to auto-diesel pumps but the trucker pumps are almost always backwards.. and the truckers get PISSED if you turn around.. I have had them pull right up in front of me so they can laugh while I have to back all the way out of the island...

so I end up having to take one handle out.. lay it on the ground.. then activate the other side and go pump my fuel..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #835
Bus Nut

Christopher.
I'd bet that YOU, of all people, could come up with something, (electrical / computer wise) to get the grins off the faces of those truckers.(just thinking via keyboard)

Moose,
Have you considered some counter weights for your bed design? I'm thinking a couple on the windshield side corners might work. OR 2 on the opposite side. Either way get some pulleys, rope, add a winch,and Bingo.( I just come up with the idea, it's up to you to put it into action)(lol)

Let us know
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #836
Bus Geek

Right. Using the "satellite" fuel nozzle this way is routine procedure for me also. But awkward.

And... please always walk around to that "satellite" (secondary) pump and make certain that nozzle is NOT latched on, BEFORE you activate the system at the primary dispenser.
Yes, there should be a safeguard built in, but safeguards do fail at times.

Next.... I may have mentioned something about counterweights or springs around here somewhere.

But I should add: On my barn door, which slides straight up and down, I have it balanced with counterweights. And these counterweights live inside plastic drain pipes, so they cannot snag on anything.

And Millicent's "toy hauler" tail gate is balanced with springs. I used conventional garage door springs, operating at half the movement of the gate via a pulley (block and tackle concept).
No doubt, springs can be used on folding bunks. Again, they should be safely enclosed.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #837
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I hate that about a skoolie!! the fuel neck being on the right side.. works fine for pulliung up to auto-diesel pumps but the trucker pumps are almost always backwards.. and the truckers get PISSED if you turn around.. I have had them pull right up in front of me so they can laugh while I have to back all the way out of the island...

so I end up having to take one handle out.. lay it on the ground.. then activate the other side and go pump my fuel..

-Christopher
Shoulda gotten a 3000RE. My filler's on the driver's side.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #838
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Shoulda gotten a 3000RE. My filler's on the driver's side.
Like just about everything else on a bus the location of the filler can be spe'c'ed on either side depending upon tank location.

I had a Thomas Saf-T-Liner Westcoaster that had a fuel tank that had a filler on both sides. If you didn't fill both sides, or at least open the filler on both sides, you couldn't get a full tank of fuel. The tank went all the way from one side to the other with portions of the tank on both sides higher than the center section. If you didn't open both sides you would trap air inside and end up with only about 3/4's of a tank of fuel. IIRC, the tank was 140-gallons.

Since almost all Type 'D' FE buses and Type 'C' buses now locate the tank between the frame rails behind the rear axle the filler can be on either side.

Our church has a Thomas Saf-T-Liner MVP FE that has the tank behind the rear axle with a left side filler.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:54 AM   #839
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Problem for me with a 3000 is leghth.. remember I don't camp, my busses travel in cities.. I park st hotels , parking lots and the like.

My latest red one is nearly a daily driver. Social outings , Home Depot trips, getting groceries, art tours , and the likes so they need to fit in fairly compact spaces..

The 8 window Thomas FE are nice And decent length but the one I drive I about sweated off the non existent body fat I don't have in that hour drive.. and that was with the air on max..

Thus far I've been mostly able to fuel up st the auto island with the shorter busses..

Gas pumps do have safeguards against being latched in so maybe one was broken if you sprayed diesel everywhere? I do always check anyway as I've found that second handle broken before so I always go get it out before I start.

As for truckers well it's only the few asses that make a pain.. many are cool and helpful.. I probably run into it more than some because I run my busses a lot!! At least comparatively.. I'm over15000 miles this year in the busses combined..
I'd have a tough time getting a filler neck across my conventional .. driveshaft, air dryer, air tanks, etc all obstacles I'd have to get around..

Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #840
Almost There

I know it seems all I do is ask questions in you thread but you have such good answers.

So how important are the rub strips down the side of the bus. Can the be removed to give a smooth side look.