Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Re: The Moldy Twinkie

Bus is looking good. When I pop riveted the sheetmetal over, I started out drilling every hole with 1/8" drill bit then up to the 3/16". I later realized about halfway through, it was alot eaiser to use a self tapping screw to hold the metal in place, then also to use the self tapping screw as a pilot for the rest of the holes too. I broke alot of 1/8" drill bits but not one self tapping screw. After I had a pilot hole I went back and opened up the holes big enough for the pop rivets. Hope this made sense. Started little holes with self tappers, removed screws, then made big holes.

Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak
I need to install a spigot I can gravity feed water from my tanks for cooking or whatever incase the pump takes a dump or I dont have power...
as for now I have no way to get water from my tanks but with the pump I havent installed a feed from a hose with a check valve or thatever so all I got is fill the tanks and pump them out......
little by little one thing at a time
take care
JAK
how about the old hand pumps in the older campers my mom and dads first in th bed camper had one of those at the sink.

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
. . . . In other parts of the bus, I had an air system/braking related question. When I start my bus (30 deg F), it takes quite awhile for the air to build up. I heard hissing and went belowdecks to check and see where it was coming and it was coming out of two air regulators. The air was coming out pretty fast and I don't see why seeing as the bus was starting out with no air in the system (it drains over very long periods of time). Is this supposed to happen maybe as a result of low air/cold/anything? Eventually it stopped between 100-120 psi on the dash gauge and built up more quickly after that. Can anyone explain/troubleshoot this for me? I would be indebted to a forum member for a crash course in bus air brakes :P
I'm not a mechanic, but have driven commercial vehicles with air brakes. I am assuming that what is leaking is an over-pressure relief valve? The first thing I can think of is that you are getting water freezing into ice in the regulator's works.

Do you drain the water from the air tanks every time the bus is run? You either have to get underneath and turn a petcock on the bottom of each air tank, or often there is a valve with a pull cord and spring return so you can drain the tanks without getting underneath.

When you compress the ambient air, it loses its ability to suspend non-compressible water, and the humidity in the air 'rains out' into liquid in the tanks. Some (all?) vehicles with air brakes have air dryers to help reduce this. But part of every daily truck check is to open each tank's petcock/valve when it has some air pressure, and keep it open until the valve stops 'spitting' any water sitting in the bottom of the tank, and only air comes out. If you have not been doing this, perhaps some water in the air lines is freezing in the regulator when the bus sits? Just a guess.

Another possibility is that the 'regulator' is wearing out, and the spring pressure inside that holds in low air pressure isn't what it used to be.

Maybe someone with some brake repair experience can chime in and add to or correct my guesses.

As far as crash courses, most states have CDL manuals online which include sections on air brake systems. You need to understand the difference between your 'spring brakes' and your service brakes. Reading these manuals will give you an idea of how the two systems operate. They should also outline how to make all the pre-trip checks, and describe what will happen if you lose air pressure while driving. Good luck.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

If you get a good pump (not one of the new fancy ones but a good basic multi fixture one) it should run for years without crapping out. I have been running 30 and 40 year old Shurflos (208 without a problem. To clarify that... they are 30 and 40 years old NOW and I am using them multiple times a day, 5 days a week. One of the pumps was bought new in 1981 and never used. Sat around "stored" (we just never needed it). the one that was in our RV (circa 1970's) started leaking. I checked with an RV place for parts and they said the replacement heads wouldn't work as it was too old (not true... I found out later). A "Rocket" faucet will operate with a pump, under city water pressure and by hand (pumping).

Rocket hand faucet (just one of many sources) http://www.amazon.com/Diversified-Wo.../dp/B000WNZX3E
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

The drains are plumbed to the bottom of the tank, so that you can blow off the water and curd. You don't want that stuff going through your brake system.

Reccomended practice is to drain all your tanks to empty when you shut the thing down for the day.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
But shouldn't your air dryer be taking most of the moisture out of the air before it even reaches the tanks?
Not all skoolies have air dryers installed. My '84 BB doesn't. When and if my ship comes in I plan to install one. The advice to drain the tanks, I would assume, is for those without air dryers.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

Yeah, probably water in the system and its freezing. Your air dryer is probably a Bendix AD9 or AD3 if memory serves me correctly. I know the AD9 has a replaceable cartridge that you should look into changing. Not sure about the AD3.

If you decide to replace the cartridge yourself, here is how its done:

BENDIX AD9

If you look at the drier assembly you should see a black "can" with an aluminum housing bolted to it from the bottom with air lines coming out of it. Assuming its the AD9 (not sure about AD3) unbolt the 9/16 nuts and bolts and loosen the upper bracket that secures the "can" to the mounting bracket. Loosen and take off all air lines and electrical connection.

Depending on the mounting application, the aluminum housing will drop out of the bottom of the "can" exposing the cylinder looking cartridge inside. You will need to put the entire housing in a vice and get a filter strap wrench to spin off the cartridge.

You will have to find a trucking supply company or maybe Napa to get a replacement cartridge. I believe there is a core also.

You will also see a small aluminum piece at the very bottom of the housing that should have 3 small bolts attaching it to the main housing. This is the "Purge valve". This is also replaceable. It has o-rings inside that dry rot. I would recommend replacing it also.

There is also a rebuild kit for the purge valve which would be cheaper than the whole unit.

This is just a quick crash course on replacing these. You can contact me if you have any further questions.

Good luck!
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

that is a frwaking cool shirt!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #49
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l
Rated Cap: 72

http://www.four51.com/UI/Customer.aspx?p=Home has some nice stuffs if you are looking for Thomas logo wear.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #50

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim
http://www.four51.com/UI/Customer.aspx?p=Home has some nice stuffs if you are looking for Thomas logo wear.

Linky no worky.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #51
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l

Quote:
Linky no worky.
Ooops! I didn't notice the redirect... Try http://www.thomasbusgear.com/
Old 03-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Looking good!!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #53

Hi. I would just like to say.. My mates&I named our bus the Moldy Twinkie. We are kinda weirded out because we thought it was original. ;P anywayy. Wish you could do what you did to your bus to ours. or at least get us a tellie or something.. -Twinkette
VP-MoldyTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9

that thing looks like one of our chain gang bus for the state of GA ,,,,(((((pickem up boys and put them down)))))

same color
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Bus looks great!
syke is offline   Reply With Quote