Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84
Re: The Odd OX

Looks like some place I use to live. The good old day and good memories.
Attached Thumbnails
gillette83.jpeg  

yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Thomas Navistar
Engine: 7.3 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 64

thanks! but do any of ya'll have any ideas about my starting problem? i think it was the last post on page three. I have not tried to look into getting parts for it but can you normally just go to an international parts dealer or somewhere special if i did just need to replace the solenoid?
crazyluke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Forgive my bi-focals, but it looks like an old-style Ford Solenoid. I'd say remove the batteries (unless you want curly hair with a tinge of smoke - ask me how I know .....) and then carefully remove the solenoid and go to any IH/Navistar dealer. It should be an off-the-shelf replacement. I have a similar one in Max available from AutoZone, O'Reilley's, and NAPA. I don't know what (if any) differences exist. But try the manufacturer/dealer first, then get part numbers and do some shopping (the ONLY kind of shopping I actually like [besides firearms]).
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

yeah i'm hoping it is only that solenoid. The batteries died on me and so i had not started it for a while just cause i was building and didn't plan on moving it so just kept saying oh tomorrow i'll charge them and start it then this silly thing happened. and i really wanted to drive it this weekend, i have an event with the oxen all weekend long giving wagon rides at a fair and was really looking forward to having some comfort instead of sleeping in the truck or a tent. but again has anybody removed the child safety system before. I'm not going to be the guinea pig and dive into it but if somebody has messed with it i'll take some advice and i might do it.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #45
Bus Nut

My bus has gone thru a lot of batteries in seven years and the main reason seems to be setting for long periods dead. Even though it will usally take a charge and start back up they ( the batteries ) seem to go down hill fast from there causing mystery electrical problems. The battery should have 13 plus volts on the meter when you check it. After that the ground wire connection must be perfect, clean,metal to metal and no corrosion. Clicking is a symtom of low voltage.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

ok well i had a charger box hooked up to the batteries when i was trying to start it so that should have been fine. I have not tried bypassing the solenoid yet.... not only do i not understand all this electrical stuff but i just talked to the guy at international parts and he just laughed when i told him what the solenoid was connected to. he said once the buses are made they go to independent bus places to have all this safety and govoner speed control stuff put on so he could not tell me much about the system or the wiring for it. I mentioned trying to take it out or bypass it and he laughed again and said no telling what it was hooked up to and how many cans of worms i would open by removing it with out having a wiring diagram of the whole thing. and smitty what is mezcal..... i don't get it haha maybe i'm just slow
Old 09-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyluke4
well i need to catch ya'll up to speed on the bus anyways got tons of pictures to post but first I'm having a problem. SHE WON'T START! I narrowed it down to a solenoid that is in behind all the switches. It looks to me it is a solenoid for a child safety system that my bus has. Does anybody know how to remove this. I was just going to leave it because electrical stuff is not my thing and i did not want to cause a problem by removing it. but now it is making it not start so i'm confused. If ya'll are not familiar with it there is a button in the back of the bus near the door and the system is wired up to the flashing lights somehow so if you run the flashing lights the system thinks you have kids on the bus. so when you try to turn the bus off the horn starts blasting and beeping noises so before you turn the bus off you have to walk to the back and push the button making it so you can't leave kids on the bus. I have also removed the stop sign and the arm in the front that wouldn't have anything to do with this would it?
Well, one answer is "Don't tum on the flashers."

A solenoid is nothing more than a heavy-duty relay. A little electricity on the coil creates an electromagnet that connects the heavy-duty terminals. If the solenoid is a "permission" solenoid that regulates whether the starter motor solenoid has power, it can be bypassed. The easy way is to put both heavy wires onto one stud. However, if it is the actual starter solenoid, the starter motor will run forever, or for a few minutes until the fire, whichever comes first. The activation wire between the key and the actual starter solenoid may just go through the flasher switching to be controlled there.

To find out, park the bus in neutral with the parking brake set and/or the wheels chocked. Turn the key to the "run" position, but don't try to start it. Stick a heavy screwdriver or pliers handle across the two nuts seen above the middle finger knuckle in the photo. If the starter turns, it is a starter solenoid. If not, it isn't.

Most buses will have an accessory solenoid and possibly a run solenoid, so all the power to the heaters, wipers, radios, etc. don't have to go through the actual key switch. The key switch will just activate the solenoids to switch power the loads. In any event, the actual "brains" of the kiddie switch are probably in the flasher wiring, regardless of what the solenoid does. The solenoid is just the "brawn."

If you were close by, I would be willing to grab a meter and notepad to scope it out, but I suspect we are on opposite coasts. I usually only got into bus wiring panels only far enough to find a correct place to power the 2-way, but scoping out the whole system isn't too much harder once you learn how to test wiring.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

Boy I was I had seen your post about the screen method you did before I did mine. i spent over $200 in screen material and frames and lots of man hours putting everything together.

Does the steel caps in between the windows hold the screen material in tight enough?
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyluke4
well to fill ya'll in a bit on the progress. I have been living in the bus for about 5 months now and it is great. There are still lots of things being worked on but most of the important stuff is done. The kitchen is the main thing i'm working on now. I just got my refrigerator and stove and thats what i was waiting so i could make sure they would fit in the area that i build for counter and cabinets. up to this point i just have had an outdoor kitchen just a couple of wash tubs, and a propane camp stove. My brother was replacing windows in his house so i salvaged some screens so that i could leave windows open and not deal with bugs. I just took the yellow pieces of metal off between the windows and the screen had about a half inch or so that it could fit in then just stretched it as tight as i could and screwed metal back in place to hold screen

on my carpenter you can't take off the metal pieces like that.

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #50
Almost There

Year: 1981
Chassis: International
Engine: 345
Rated Cap: 69

I have never been successful removing the pillar caps without having to grind a few. 3 different busses............all Thomas bodies.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSBOZO
Does the steel caps in between the windows hold the screen material in tight enough?

holds it pretty tight. does not look as nice and finished as yours does. i cut them to size so that it fits up under the drip edge and comes flush with the bottom. no bugs get in and i got the breeze i wanted this summer. you can see in the photo that one has a little ripple in it but not a problem. and as for tested i obviously have not been able to start the bus to drive it down the road with screens in it but also don't think there will be a problem. i only had two screws that i had to grind the heads off of i did six windows total but salvaged some more screen so will do more soon.............well i hope to get some time tomorrow or wednesday to figure out the starting issue have an 11 day long fair starting thursday so won't be doing much once that starts. thanks for the ideas.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #52
Almost There

Year: 1981
Chassis: International
Engine: 345
Rated Cap: 69

Just being nosey, but seems like a decent fixer-upper house where the bus is parked. What's the scoop??
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

yeah long story behind the whole reason i am living on this property and also a longer one about the house. but neither property or house are mine. ha ha i am as most would call a squatter. The house dates back to 1790 and would be a beautiful place to restore thats for sure!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

well i think you have every one eyes

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Did you get your bus started?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #56
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72

Hey there luke, my name is mike and i have been looking around this website for a wile now. Im am looking for a bus now and i am very excited! I really like what you have done with your bus, i like how you have kept it simple becuse i intend to do the same. One question i have though is did you run into any problems wile installing the insoluation and wood flooring???
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeflyer
Did you get your bus started?

no not yet i just got home from this big event that lasted a week and a half. I'm almost positive it needs to just be left on a charger for a while. had my truck hooked up to it but could not leave it long had to go somewhere it almost charged up to 13 volts but don't think its got enough charge to crank. hopefully this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBskunk
One question i have though is did you run into any problems wile installing the insoluation and wood flooring???
the only problem i had was the screws wanting to suck down real tight and it would make the wood uneven....kind of wavy. i ended up drilling pilot holes and making room to counter sink the head and that seemed to solve the problem i still had to be careful on the edges. it is more work to build framework under the plywood but that would keep the problem from happening also it would not be able to over tighten
Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

ok, a couple of questions. I removed the stop sign and there is what looks like a blatter of some kind, that is what pushes the sign out. Is the sign pushed out by something actually pushing it or is there an air line that goes to it and fills it up? when i removed it i cut a metal line that went into the blatter thing, it was kind of stupid, if i had stood back and thought about it first i would not have cut it i would have paid more attention to it, but it is done and cut. i can't trace it cause i don't know where it goes. is it an air line? if so guess i should just weld the end of it?

also i busted a window yesterday oops you will see in the picture i am holding a frame that i was very proud of cause it was perfectly square and fit right in the hole like i wanted. but the corners were still hot i guess from welding and when i took the picture it must have been touching the glass and right after i snapped the picture the window shattered like in the second picture. it is probably for the best oh well i already got some sheet metal cut to size and bent at the bottom for this window and two more. just need to put them in once it quits raining. hope my tarp is covering the window good enough

my question though is has anybody had a problem with their wood stove breaking windows? would the stove pipe get hot enough to heat the support between windows and damage the one next to it? i don't think it will hurt the other windows, i feel like it was only because the heat was intense and just touched to it. i just wanted to ask to see if anybody else has had a problem with it would rather replace windows now than in the middle of a snow storm trying to keep warm or something.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6134.JPG   IMG_6133.JPG   IMG_6130.JPG  
Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

been doing some work on the kitchen and wood stove. the kitchen is real close to having all the counters permanently in place then i can finish the cabinet doors and things. the wood stove has feet now and i was going to attach it to a piece of granit that would have made a real nice harth but i was running into problem drilling it and oh well i'll make it different. just going to do more metal work underneath and make taller legs for it. it will be easier and better in the long run i think
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6119.JPG   IMG_6118.JPG   IMG_6001.JPG  
Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #60
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72

Hey luke Looks GREAT im loveing what you have done. As far as i have heard some people will put up thick blankets, "curtins" in front of there windows during the winter as a quick cheap fix and im sure that would also help "protect" your windows from the stove heat. Also i was wondering what you have used to attach all your cabinits and your counter to the floor with???
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote