Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72
The Sloth

Hello and here it is! I have been wating to buy my bus for about 2 years now. I have scanned this site religously for like a year!!

I found a 1991 Ford/Carpenter with a 7.8 Ford/New Holland Turbo Diesel engine with a 5-speed!!!!!
$1,600 with Tires, two sinks, a 40 gallon water tank, surflo water pump, and a kitten that lived on the bus at the farm!!!!!
and some other extras!!!!

Thanks to this webpage and all of you awsome people out there, this crazy idea of buying a school bus and turing it into whatever we want didnt seem that crazy anymore!!! Soo thank you all again and i will be doing my best to document my conversion to help others the way they have helped me!!! Pics will be up soon and hope you all enjoy!!

Mike

MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: The Sloth

congrats!!

/obvious
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Yeah PICTURES and I wanna see the kitty
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Skoolie

Pics will be up soon haha sorry, but i have gottn everything out including floors and my top lights and stop sign off.

Now i live in northern Illinois and its been in the 40's tempture wise is it too cold to prime my floor and outside of bus?

let me know Thanks

Mike
Old 11-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Engine: 8.3

Welcome sounds like fun! Pics are our friend man. Kitty huh well as long as it litter box trained it could be your mascot!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBskunk
Now i live in northern Illinois and its been in the 40's tempture wise is it too cold to prime my floor and outside of bus?
Mike
Depends on whether you believe the instructions on the paint can. As I remember, the can usually indicates that you should not paint below 50 degrees. Seems like I primered my floor when it was 50 degrees, and then the temperature dropped into the 40s that night, and it turned out fine.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Skoolie

Thanks DD ya im about to climb up on the roof in like 20 Min and wipe clean with acetone then get to painting. I just hope it dosnt get down in the 30's tonight like it has been = / wish me luck and speed ahaha pics soon sorry everyone!

Mike
Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Skoolie

Soo it is raining here in im my town of Mt. Prospect IL AKA MAYBERRY!! and i am taking a day off from the bus to give you guys an up date of whats going on here. I bought my bus and brought it home a week ago today and progress has been great!!!!! All the seats and floors are out, the stop sign and top flashers are removed, and the top has its first coat of Rustoleum white paint!!!! The 2 and 1/2 hour drive home was great every thing worked super, had some trobles getting it into 2 and 3 but i also just have to get used to driving a big engine and tranny. Apon arival the bus was in my driveway for only 30 min or so and a neighbor came outside and started asking questions along the lines of how long the bus would be here? I explaned my plans for my bus and told him that it would be gone shortly and that i would be going with it hahaha. He didnt look happy when he went back inside. The Very next morning as im working on my bus a lady from the village department comes and says that they have gotten a complaint about my bus and my dogs!!!! Now dont get me wrong i knew something like an ordnance aginst the length and height of the bus, but i didn't think that it would be in under 12 hours. And the other thing, My dogs are a german sheperd and a black lab there not mean they dont bark up a storm, they are in my yard! I just dont understand why he had to fire at my dogs? anyways the village said that the bus and dogs need to be removed in 7 days, meening today and they are, temparaely!! The bus is behind my friends factory witch he works at, dont ask how he aranged that!? and the dogs are at another firends house witch i am at now, I am currentaly looking for another place to rent where i can work on my simple bus in peace with my dogs, because i just cannot deal with a neighbor giving off horrible vibes. I need to get out of this rich yuppy town of "Mayberry"! I am now kinda on a race aginst time to get this bus painted and get the titel changed over to a motorhome. Wish me luck everybody!

Mike
Old 11-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Sorry for your village issues. I looked up Mt Prospect, "Where Friendliness is a Way of Life." Rich and Yuppie it may be, but "Mayberry" it ain't. Your "village," is packed with malls, commuter trains, and 5500+ people per square mile. My entire county, including the city, has only 123 people per square mile, and only 88% of the population of your "little village." Less than 30 miles from here is a county that is 73% larger than the state of Rhode Island, with zero traffic signals and only 3 people per square mile. For reference, I could only find about 5 lawyers in that entire county (not counting a couple of County judges and the DA's office).

You need to get your bus converted, get out of Chicagoland, and see what rural America is really like.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Skoolie

Im having trobbles posting pics dose anyone know a specific way or something?????
Old 11-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l

I haven't used the 'upload attachement' function, but I post mine up to the gallery or Picasa mostly and just put the URL to the picture in my post, highlight the whole URL, then push the 'Img' button above post text. It wraps the link with the image tags and they just show up in the posts. You can see it in the preview if you did it right.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Skoolie

Went and started my bus today and it fired fine and all but my "water in fuel" light was on.

now im asumeing this is common considerind its been 30's in the day and 20's at night but is this a bad thing
Should i be worried?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Thomas Navistar
Engine: 7.3 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 64

hey after you were posting on the ox i figured out what bus was yours. ? i'm not sure about the lights on in the dash. did you let it warm up for a while? did they every go off? when you heat the glow plugs your gages move all the way to the right then all the way to the left then start the register maybe wait till they start to register. I drive a truck at work and that is the trick to it. if you start it before the gages register sometimes the oil/water light will be on and it will beep like it is over heating. just a thought. got another question for ya does your bus have air brakes? if not these next questions may not apply....... did your stop sign have a blatter type thing that would push the sign out? was it an air line that led to it? once you removed it you drove the bus and brakes worked fine? i have not driven mine since i removed my sign actually let along started it having a problem with my batteries. i was not sure if it was an air line that ran to it just looked like it. was unable to trace it.

not sure why you cant upload pictures but the only problem i have had is size i use the upload attachment and before i upload i use photoshop sure you can use any photo program or paint just resize it so it is a smaller file and save as a copy (so you don't mess with original)
crazyluke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

I hate neighbors like that... If I were closer to you, I'd come over and kick him in the nuts for ya...

The way I post pics... Right click on image in my photobucket and left click on image location, then paste it between the img things that show up when you click on the button above where you type to post... Hope this helps...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Skoolie

Hey there luke ya my little light problem was shortly lived. running the glow plugs has been working out better then just jumping and cranking it. I do have air brakes, there the cats meow! and ya i was happy to find that my stop sign didnt have the air bladder and was just electrical. i rememder you saying yours was a pain to remove.

will be talking
mike
Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #16
Skoolie

Hey there everyone! soo alot has happend for me and my bus in the past 2 months. I finally just said screw it and packed up my life and my dog into my newly purchased bus and moved the hell out of my crappy town!! I am now living on a friends farm an hour west of where i was living. I still have the same job soo that worked out, AND LIFE COULDENT BE SIMPLER! Progress on the bus has been great! sorry about no pics, but i patched all the holes in my what was rusty floor, primed the floor with rustoleum, replaced all the insolation in the walls and cealing, did a few little custome tweeks to the outside, i am going to lay my new wood floors down hopefully next week.

I dont have a computer on the farm soo i can only post sutff up when im at a friends soo i will do what i can hang in there with me!
Like i said sorry about no pics yet, im still working on it?

thanks again everyone for the support

Mike
Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBskunk
Hey there everyone! soo alot has happend for me and my bus in the past 2 months. I finally just said screw it and packed up my life and my dog into my newly purchased bus and moved the hell out of my crappy town!!. . . .
Good For You!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
Skoolie

Attached Thumbnails
bus picturesss 001.jpg  
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
Skoolie

here is a picture of my bus painted!!! sorry it took soo long to get this posted
Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #20
Skoolie

Attached Images