Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #81
Bus Geek

Re: the wait is over

What park were you at?I miss hitting the trails

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65

That was my first trip to SMORR (southern Missouri off road ranch). Very nice park! The campground is very nice with all new facilities. Over 940 acres with lots of trails. Ranging from easy trails to almost impossible, almost
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #83
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvbuzz
... SMORR...
No, that's S'MORE and it's a yummy gooey messy marshmallowy, chocolately delight! Surpassed only by Banana Boats! YUM YUM!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #84
Bus Geek

Cool,I'm planning to hit the "all american park" in auburn,AL a few weeks for our next ECORS race unless I get a bus first,used to hit Tellico ...enjoyed Harlan,Callalantee was my home...hit up URE a few times a year for get togethers with friends
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #85
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Hi, I have the same genny--you will love it it is so quiet. Have you looked into the propane change over for about $185? I'm thinking about it but haven't made up my mind. I'm concerned that I'll be pouring diesel in my genny and gas in my diesel--BOOM. What do you think?
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #86
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Glad to see you're out on the road and having some fun...Rig looks nice in the campground
Old 05-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #87
Bus Nut

Its such a great feeling, having it out on the road. I really can't wait to get it out again.

I haven't even had time yet to fire up the generator. I think the propane fuel is a good idea for the generator. Never worrying about the gas going bad, would be the biggest advantage. However, from what I have read you lose about 10% of your output of the generator running on propane. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need all the output most of the time. I hoping to mount the whole unit under the bus. Just looking at it quickly, I think I can also mount a extra tank right next to it and gravity feed it. I have a couple 20 gallon jeep tanks laying around I think I cand use. Then run the filler neck out the side of the bus. Not to worried about filling the wrong one because they will be on opposite sides of the bus.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #88
Bus Geek

I hadn't thought about a gravity feed system. I guess you could feed in through the original gas cap with a fitting of some kind but you'd need a shut off valve right there or you couldn't remove the gas cap without a fuel spill. I don't think I'd want to punch a hole in the Yamaha gas tank itself though. BTY Yamaha says that the propane and gas genny put out the same elect power--just that it takes a bit more propane than the equivalent gas to do so?!?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #89
Bus Nut

Do you have a link to this propane system? I haven't seen it. I have a hard time believing you wouldn't have a loss of output. I've seen gas engines converted to propane and they always had a loss of power. Propane likes a higher compression. Which if the engine is setup for propane from the beginning, then I could see it having the same power output. I'm not saying your wrong, I like reading about that kind stuff.

Has far as adding the second gas tank. I think there is a couple easy ways to do it.
1. Run the new gas line right to the factory shut off valve and not use their small tank.
Or
2. Run new gas line to right after the factory valve and add a tee with another shut off valve on the new tank. If done that way, I could use the big tank and use the little tank as a reserve.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #90
Bus Geek

As you probably know there are a couple of ways to set up for propane. The actual Yamaha set up changes the actual carb while the add on aftermarket just ads a fuel jet to the top of the stock gas carb. Here are a couple of sites-- www.propane-generator.com/tri-fuel-kit.htm and next try entering the following in Google: Triple-Fuel Yamaha EF4500iSE Inverter Generator - YouTube. The second one is interesting because it shows a Yamaha being first run on propane and then being run on gas. Watch the rich exhaust on the gas run. I don't know for sure but it looks like the mixture was fattened up for the propane (to cover power loss?) and they forgot to lean it out for the gas. The first site talks about readjusting the mixture as you switch back and forth between fuels. What do you think?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Started working on the poop tank. I couldn't see spending the $300 plus on a tank bigger then 40 gallons. So I got a free 55 gallon rectangular poly tank from a guy in town that sells car wash soap. I found these 3" tank fittings I can adapt back to black abs plastic piping. Not cheap though. $40 apiece and I needed two, one for the outlet and one for the toliet flange. The vent I'm going to use 1.5" ones and can be had alot cheaper for about $6-8 apiece.

3" tank fittings

What I want it to look like mounted.

Started working on the bottom framing today. Hope to have all of it done sometime over the weekend.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

What are the dimensions of that tank? Wonder if one of the local car wash places in my town would be willing to sell one of their empties? Great idea! Thanks for posting.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #93
Bus Nut

The tank is 40"x18"x18". I think it is going to work out well. It was the only rectangular tank I got from him. I might check back and see if he has anymore. I would really like to make a gray tank out of another one. I also got some 30gal. round poly barrels. I'm pretty sure I can make them work for gray tanks, if I can't get more rectangular tanks. The guy I got them from actually sells the soap to the car washes. But it sure wouldn't hurt to check with the carwash's themselves.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #94
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Going to be a very nice looking poop tank
Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #95
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

....and you're one step ahead of the pack. Yellow=hazardous wastes.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

grey water tank - http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... 4.JPG.html
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #97
Bus Crazy

i have 4 of the blue 30 gallon round ones and probably 8 of the 55 gal round ones that i am not gonna use.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #98
Bus Nut

Yankeflyer, I plan on doing something alot like your gray tank on my gray tank.

But for now I'm just tying the shower into the black tank. It is alot quicker right now to do that. I am making provisions though to run the drain to a gray tank later. Some of the plumbing in progress. Not done yet. I have another ball valve that I'm going to add just next to the T, that is where I will run the line later over the frame under the bus floor over to the other side for a gray tank. There just wasn't enough room to keep both tanks on the same side. Fuel tank is in my way. I'm ok with it though. The black tank is 55 gallons, I figure I will probably want to add some shower water in there just to keep enough liquid sloshing back and forth anyway. I figure I'll have options this way.

I also got the vent ran through the roof as well. I have been putting that off for a long time. I really hate cutting holes in the roof.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #99
Skoolie

Vent pipe

I would put some kind of vented cap on the vent pipe. Removing a stuck sqirrel from it is no fun...
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #100
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

Just kidding; you could remove that stuck squirrel by drilling a hole in the pipe and give it a squirt of propane; flick a Bic while yelling " FIRE IN THE HOLE". One Squirrel in orbit.
Really I am just kidding.
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote