Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Found this small shower/tub combo on a bus [emoji590] blog, messaged the blogger and got this link back. Opinions?
http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Rv-Tub...und-White.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #42
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
Found this small shower/tub combo on a bus [emoji590] blog, messaged the blogger and got this link back. Opinions?
Rv Tub/Shower Surround 36" x 24" x 62" White
Great find!! I will only add this word of caution to anyone that is buying a shell like this, MADE SURE YOU SET A MUD BED UNDER IT!. I cannot tell you the number of showers I have seen or fixed that failed due to a proper mortar (not concrete) not being set underneath. Even if if the manufacturer does not stipulate it, put one under it. It is cheap and adds about an hour of work to the project.

Here is a video showing how to set a shower pan - very helpful for any kind of fiberglass or acrylic lower that needs to be set -
Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Thanks for the input! Dredman pointed out to me that it was only the surround So not such a bargain. Off to keep looking!
Sandi
Old 03-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #44
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
I agree on using the mortar, in a house it causes rot in the floor and on a bus would harbor rust.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Thank you guys for the input on the mortar! I will definitely use it!
Sandi
Old 03-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #46
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewzer55 View Post
I agree on using the mortar, in a house it causes rot in the floor and on a bus would harbor rust.
Yes, and this due in most cases (in my experience), most fiberglass pans are not really designed to hold the weight of a person without that additional support. Without this additional support under the pan eventually the shell will crack (sometimes without any signs that it is cracked) and it then leaks to the floor.

There are some shower trays out there that are designed to not have to put in a mortar bed, but they are super expensive. The other thing that a mortar bed does is lock the shower pan to the floor. I would imagine this is especially important on a bus as movement is more likely. Movement leads to leaks.

Another option I encourage homeowners to look at are cast iron shower pans. with a porcelain finish. These are more expensive and heavy but they will last forever with no concerns about cracking.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Cast iron... hmmm, that is something to think about!
Off to do some research!

Sandi
Old 03-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Fun 24 hours!

In preparation of taking the bus to the panhandle to get some work done on the plumbing, my daughter came over yesterday and helped me pack up the bus to make it road ready. It looks naked and I felt like I was sleeping in a fish bowl last night.

In the afternoon yesterday, I decided to crank her up and she didn't crank
So my nephew came by with his tow truck and gave her a jump, and she ran, but as soon as I put my foot on the break, she died and wouldn't turn over.

So, today I spent $450 putting brand new ones in her. I did it all by myself... nearly caused a fire, but all's good Those batteries WEIGH A TON! She seems very happy now! I ran her for an hour, while I've finished up work.

Also, she was BUZZING , which is so annoying! After checking everything (or at least I thought I had), I came on here and used the SEARCH feature to figure it out, I am so grateful that there is so much knowledge and help on this forum Turns out the emergency roof hatch actually wasn't even closed (which explains the ridiculous amount of dirt that was in the bus when I got home after being gone for 4 weeks.
Once I opened it all the way and then slammed it shut, the buzzing stopped... WOO HOO!

So now, I'm going to pack up my computer and head north. Staying at my mom's outside of Gainesville tonight and then onward in the morning.
So looking forward to having a bathroom!!!

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
Living full-time on my Skoolie.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I've had intrusions into my bus through the hatch.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I've had intrusions into my bus through the hatch.

That worries me! It's going to stay shut from now on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
That worries me! It's going to stay shut from now on!

I'll panel over it for you for free. You could then add a powered vent like an rv has. Best of both worlds.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'll panel over it for you for free. You could then add a powered vent like an rv has. Best of both worlds.

Yes!! That sounds perfect.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:28 PM   #53
Bus Geek

That's a good choice, unless you've got a roof top deck. I don't. A powered vent would be perfect to have ventilation when you need it.

On the other hand that hatch can direct lots of air into the bus while traveling when opened at the right angle on a nice day.

I've already insulated and paneled the interior around the hatch, so I'm thinking of attaching some type of grid over the hole on the inside. Something my hands can easily reach through to open and close the hatch.

As for my community area I convinced one of the locals that it would be so easy to rig a shotgun to go off when the hatch was opened from the outside, and miraculously the breakin's stopped.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Quote:
That's a good choice, unless you've got a roof top deck. I don't. A powered vent would be perfect to have ventilation when you need it.

On the other hand that hatch can direct lots of air into the bus while traveling when opened at the right angle on a nice day.

I've already insulated and paneled the interior around the hatch, so I'm thinking of attaching some type of grid over the hole on the inside. Something my hands can easily reach through to open and close the hatch.

As for my community area I convinced one of the locals that it would be so easy to rig a shotgun to go off when the hatch was opened from the outside, and miraculously the breakin's stopped.

OMG! I didn't know you meant people intruders! I didn't think of that. I thought you meant critters.

Sandi

Old 03-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Things are coming along up here at Dredman's. Bathroom is getting close to being done. So grateful for the help!
This community is awesome.

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com

Old 03-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats lookin real good!!!!!!! I still totally love that interior color!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I love the color too. We're painting our shorty a similar color SOON!
Funny- yall got all that done in the time I've spent chasing electrical ghosts with Chris trying to figure out my damned wipers LOL!

I got rivets and steel here if you still wana fix that roof hatch for good. Could get your roof fixed AND take the fun bus to Steve Winwood in one fell swoop!
Anyone in FL that wants to ride the fun bus to Steve Winwood in Orlando in May get yourself a ticket and gimme a shout!!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I love the color too. We're painting our shorty a similar color SOON!
Funny- yall got all that done in the time I've spent chasing electrical ghosts with Chris trying to figure out my damned wipers LOL!

I got rivets and steel here if you still wana fix that roof hatch for good. Could get your roof fixed AND take the fun bus to Steve Winwood in one fell swoop!
Anyone in FL that wants to ride the fun bus to Steve Winwood in Orlando in May get yourself a ticket and gimme a shout!!!

Thanks Christopher and Charlie! I love the color, too.
I'll definitely plan on bringing the bus up that weekend. Between now and then I go to China for 3 weeks, for work. I'll be ready for some Skoolie fun!
Looking forward to Steve Winward!
Sandi

Old 03-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Yeah, I was talking about someone climbing up the front of my bus and onto the roof to open the hatch, twice last summer. First time they bent a windshield wiper climbing up the front of the bus. Second time they climbed up the front corner using the mirror brackets and knocked them out of alignment. There were clear shoe prints in the green winter growth on the roof.

I do know who broke in, so I started the rumor that I had rigged a shotgun to go off when the hatch was opened from the outside. No trouble since.

I use the hatch for ventilation often, especially while cooking. My idea was to make a simple grid over the hatch dividing the opening into four holes. Easily enough room to open and close the hatch by hand through the grid but way to small for anyone to enter through the grid.

Several other people have had top hatch buzzer issues lately, also preventing them from starting the engine. Those hatches don't unlatch themselves. That reminded me of how my hatch had been opened several times this past summer while I was gone. I would have also gotten the buzzer and inability to start the engine if I had attempted to start the bus before latching the hatch again.

The intruders weren't able to reconnect the latch from the outside so they just closed the hatch and left it unlatched. I latched the hatch and never experienced the buzzer issue. So I'm going to put a grid, with four holes, over the hatch hole. The grid could still be unlatched from the inside to be used as an emergency exit.

For now I'm sticking with the shotgun rhumor.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yeah, I was talking about someone climbing up the front of my bus and onto the roof to open the hatch, twice last summer. First time they bent a windshield wiper climbing up the front of the bus. Second time they climbed up the front corner using the mirror brackets and knocked them out of alignment. There were clear shoe prints in the green winter growth on the roof.

I do know who broke in, so I started the rumor that I had rigged a shotgun to go off when the hatch was opened from the outside. No trouble since.

I use the hatch for ventilation often, especially while cooking. My idea was to make a simple grid over the hatch dividing the opening into four holes. Easily enough room to open and close the hatch by hand through the grid but way to small for anyone to enter through the grid.

Several other people have had top hatch buzzer issues lately, also preventing them from starting the engine. Those hatches don't unlatch themselves. That reminded me of how my hatch had been opened several times this past summer while I was gone. I would have also gotten the buzzer and inability to start the engine if I had attempted to start the bus before latching the hatch again.

The intruders weren't able to reconnect the latch from the outside so they just closed the hatch and left it unlatched. I latched the hatch and never experienced the buzzer issue. So I'm going to put a grid, with four holes, over the hatch hole. The grid could still be unlatched from the inside to be used as an emergency exit.

For now I'm sticking with the shotgun rhumor.

Really sucks when people think they are entitled to other people's stuff. I like the shotgun rumor!
Sandi