Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
The Welder (Not a skoolie)

I was racing my Mustang Cobra this weekend up at Road America and a guy fulltiming with his wife in his bus. He pulls a 25,000lb trailer with him to race tracks all over the country, usually to Winston cup races.

The thing pictured above is a welder and generator he has built a small frame below it and stuck on an electric motor. He connects the DC welding output to the motor and varies the current to the motor (thereby changing his speed) with a welding foot pedal. That little thing smoke the tires when he puts 300 amps into it.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Welding buggy

Now, that is tres clever! Nice lifestyle choice, too.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:42 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

You know, while I've been driving myself insane about buses these past few weeks(months!) I've thought about other uses for buses, other than homes that is. I've seen a bus converted to a machine shop on another page, but I still can't believe that more people aren't attracted to buses for other uses. Oh yeah, a guy not far from me uses one as a car hauler/camper but that's still in keeping with the camper theme. I know of another one used as a take out, I'll try to get some pictures next time I'm at the local dragstrip, about a 2 hour drive from my place! But still you'd think that with their more than reasonable prices (a retired schoolbus is fairly cheap all things considered) that there'd be dozens of uses for them.