Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Skoolie

Themes. When designing and bulding?

Did you use a theme when putting together floor plans and designing your bus? How did you come up with the theme?

It seems that most bus owner/builders have something on their mind when they do any thing to their bus. I've noticed some for example, that keep things all white. Others use very bright and contrasting colors or have a certain wood grain they try to follow thru with the whole bus etc.

Thanks.

Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Themes. When designing and bulding?

One of the greatest things about building your own rolling home is that...your "theme" can be your dream. Do some reading, some research, talk to a few folks, visualize what your version of the perfect outcome might be...then start working up a plan. It can be simple or it can be complex. It can be high-tech, or it can be as rustic as a log cabin. It can be 20 feet long or it can be two-stories and whatever the maximum allowable by law.

You are on the right path by asking questions and will find more experience here on The Skoolie than just about anywhere.

Also factor in your current skills and what you are willing to learn. Just about everyone here started right where you are now. By wondering what they could dream up and if they could pull it off. And I can guarantee you that the Internet has made the whole process SO much easier than it was 25 years ago that I think anyone with reasonable skills and the right mindset can create just about anything that can be imagined.

There are any number of good books out there with tons of good info on a wide range of related topics, but there is one I still consider the most inspiring. Hard to find these days but if you haven't seen it, try to find a copy of (and I mentioned the title early on)...
"Rolling Homes" by Jane Lidz. Very hippie but also very inspiring.

You can do this. Go for it before you get too old!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Well written with good points Tango.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Ditto on that Tango. I still keep a copy of Rolling Homes next to my computer and enjoy looking at the '48 Dodge pictured on the fly jacket every time I use the computer.

[b][b]
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Skoolie

Yep, agree on the skill set. I learned to stay within my skill level and abilities quite some time ago. Not on purpose mind you. But I crave learning new things even at age 51.

I was thinking about going away from the usual house type theme for my trailer. I have and can collect a lot of farm equipment parts and items. And was thinking of incorporating some truck items and parts. But I probably should stick with one or the other.
Instead of pictures and paintings on the walls, some pitch forks and grain scythe. Or truck lights and horns etc.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
Bus Geek

You got it guys --- Building a bus is not that different than building a life. You can choose to do what everyone else does...or you can choose to make it into your own version of whatever it can be. As for me, the call of "the road less traveled" has always played a big part in where I directed my energies. To each his own.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost
Old 03-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54

I wanted a northwoodsy type cabin on the ground, however, I do not have the capital for one and like to travel.

That is the primary reason for the path I've embarked on.

The pine interior is fairly inexpensive and I think it looks great.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
Bus Geek

It does indeed Bamper!
Old 03-15-2014, 03:20 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408

For us, it is about first ridding ourselves of the unnecessary things in life. The popular term, I guess, is "simplifying". This pretty much is the "Theme", if you will. It's the epitome of skoolie living. Then it was determine the floorplan according to our needs and use. Since it's just going to be Lori and I, we decided on a mostly open floorplan with only one wall and door separating bedroom/bath and living/kitchen to give some privacy and yet keep it as open as possible. If we were raising children in it, that would be another story altogether (bless all of you who do, can't imagine having teenagers in such close corners, just too much drama). After determining the floorplan we then began looking at what we have on hand. One advantage to my former career (marine mechanic) is my skill set (the first resource available) for doing this. It's basically a land yacht. The next thing is materials. I have always wanted to build Lori a house and so I've been collecting, in particular, wood (domestic and exotic) for years. Having quality woods to build with will make this part of it a joy. I've also been looking around with an eye towards "How can I use that on the bus?" For instance, I have an old service truck parked out at the edge of the woods. When working on the details of dual tanks, I needed fuel fill assemblies. I have 2 on the cube van!! Recycle and reuse!! I've been carrying around a couple portholes (salvaged from an old wood boat) for over 20 years. I think they just might be cool in the bathroom somewhere. Semi air tanks will be converted into a rocket stove/water heater. Stainless steel restaurant table will be converted into countertops, etc....... I agree that having some sort of theme helps define what you want to do and keep you focused.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner
For us, it is about first ridding ourselves of the unnecessary things in life. The popular term, I guess, is "simplifying". This pretty much is the "Theme", if you will. It's the epitome of skoolie living. Then it was determine the floorplan according to our needs and use. Since it's just going to be Lori and I, we decided on a mostly open floorplan with only one wall and door separating bedroom/bath and living/kitchen to give some privacy and yet keep it as open as possible. If we were raising children in it, that would be another story altogether (bless all of you who do, can't imagine having teenagers in such close corners, just too much drama). After determining the floorplan we then began looking at what we have on hand. One advantage to my former career (marine mechanic) is my skill set (the first resource available) for doing this. It's basically a land yacht. The next thing is materials. I have always wanted to build Lori a house and so I've been collecting, in particular, wood (domestic and exotic) for years. Having quality woods to build with will make this part of it a joy. I've also been looking around with an eye towards "How can I use that on the bus?" For instance, I have an old service truck parked out at the edge of the woods. When working on the details of dual tanks, I needed fuel fill assemblies. I have 2 on the cube van!! Recycle and reuse!! I've been carrying around a couple portholes (salvaged from an old wood boat) for over 20 years. I think they just might be cool in the bathroom somewhere. Semi air tanks will be converted into a rocket stove/water heater. Stainless steel restaurant table will be converted into countertops, etc....... I agree that having some sort of theme helps define what you want to do and keep you focused.
Very interesting. I like the way you put that and started out with the most basic foundation for your theme to build, "simplifying". I have a long row to hoe as they say to sell off so much of the clutter I have collected over the years and pay to heat and store it. But simplify and also live in the immediate environment I prefer rather than what I have been told makes me happy. I am much happier in the shop than in my 1200 sq/ft rental house.

I dont even have a sofa anymore. I never used it, so I got rid of it many years ago. I use office chairs instead of recliners. I look at the house more as a storage facility that I happen to live in than what I was told is a home. (<that is just my opinion and way of looking)

Cant wait to get started. Just need to recover some of the funding so I can start in on the trailer.