Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post
the door lock mechanism that I saw after buying from previous owner was just like a door knob . Slide catch ... with the big red lever ... I’m going to try and modify it a bit ... it has play now and dosent seal tight.
Due to stretching the door to fit the raise ... when I start fixing the back door again I’ll take car of that ...
I guess your door latch is different than mine. Mine has the red handle but also two pieces of black flat bar, one that goes up to the top of the door and one that goes down to the bottom; when the red handle is closed, these also clasp the top and bottom of the door (giving it a good seal).

This is my rear door, showing the two black bars I'm talking about: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/attac...1&d=1563448394

Old 03-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Lol thank you though it was tricky getting the curve ... I think some paint will help and I’ll probalay put port circle windows in i think it’ll look good
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I guess your door latch is different than mine. Mine has the red handle but also two pieces of black flat bar, one that goes up to the top of the door and one that goes down to the bottom; when the red handle is closed, these also clasp the top and bottom of the door (giving it a good seal).

This is my rear door, showing the two black bars I'm talking about: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/attac...1&d=1563448394
Yeah it’s a little less then what you have just the standerd latch?
What kind of bus do you have ?
Old 03-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah it’s a little less then what you have just the standerd latch?
What kind of bus do you have ?
Mine's an International. It's funny, I currently can't put the bottom bar back on my rear door because I accidentally welded over the hole in the floor that the pointy part goes into.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #25
Bus Nut

So currently I’m looking at my tires ... the front tires are taller then my rear ....
the rear tires also rise when bus is on and air bags fill up.... the wheel well is way bigger in the front and I was thinking of making it look like the rear but then I ran a peice of Rub rail down the side of the bus and noticed that I wouldn’t be able to take my front tires off if I make the wheel wells the same .... could I get smaller front tires or lower ... not as tall ... and then just adjust the air bags in the rear ?

I would be losing ground clearance then .....

Also I’m wondering how difficult it would be to just add air bags to the front end and set up some kind of independent system where I could level them when needed and then reset when I start driving
Old 04-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #26
Bus Nut

I also strapped up the gas tank to the underside of the bus and between the frame....
i well have to relocate module with a bunch of air hoses ....
It says anti lock - I think brixman....
I want to center the tank and I don’t want to have limited access then to anything that could also control air brakesss....
I’m wondering why the located so far back in the first place ?
Old 04-07-2020, 09:20 PM   #27
Bus Geek

I wonder if maybe it's more important (or harder) for the ABS to work on the four rear wheels than on the steering wheels, so the control unit needs to be located over the rear axle (mine is back there as well, although there are places farther forward where it could have been mounted and been more easily accessible). I dunno.

I also kinda wonder why buses have ABS in the first place. It doesn't seem like a bus is a likely candidate to be deftly steering around a potential accident situation even if the wheels aren't locked up.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:47 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
I also strapped up the gas tank to the underside of the bus and between the frame....
i well have to relocate module with a bunch of air hoses ....
It says anti lock - I think brixman....
I want to center the tank and I don’t want to have limited access then to anything that could also control air brakesss....
I’m wondering why the located so far back in the first place ?
It may be a matter of convenience. There are a number of the imputs to the ABS module which are at the rear end. There are five sensors in the rear and four in the front. So maybe it was just easier to place the module closer to the majority of the sensors.

As for air bags for the front end ... sure, I have them on our rig. They came from Donvel Inc.

Donvel - Steer Axle

They are for ride stabilization, not lifting the front end ... even though they do lift it some when fully inflated.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I wonder if maybe it's more important (or harder) for the ABS to work on the four rear wheels than on the steering wheels, so the control unit needs to be located over the rear axle (mine is back there as well, although there are places farther forward where it could have been mounted and been more easily accessible). I dunno.

I also kinda wonder why buses have ABS in the first place. It doesn't seem like a bus is a likely candidate to be deftly steering around a potential accident situation even if the wheels aren't locked up.
Go drive an old bus and hit the brakes hard on a slick bit of pavement. Keeping the bus from locking the brakes during emergencies is good.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:30 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Well thanks for replying y’all....
I’ll more then likely need to move that ... the tank is favoring the passenger side I’m tweet the frame rails as of now... and if I move it I’ll truly be able to have it centered and get to it if needed ....
I need to clean it up and I guess disconnect some of the hoses because I didn’t have enough play to get it to twist .... I was hoping to not have to mess with it ... then decided to and now it’s put back on until I drop
My new tank from the ratchet straps holding it and go ahead and weld my supports it and pressure check the tank and clean the inside of it a bit....
Also need to buy some fuel rated hoses and start getting it put together back there ... ... only thing that is my stumped is how to determine fuel return and pickup hose....

I have a braided steel line going into
Muffler before catalytic converters ...
Then 2 sensors .
One says temp
The other pres?? Not sure what that means .
Then I have my pickup that goes inside tank...
Then a breather tube ...
I guess I could follow my hoses and see where they go into the engine to determine which is what ... for pickup and return ....
Also need to check out YouTube and see how to clean inside of tank ... maybe buy a magnetic plug for the bottom drain plug for new one ... and also research the pressure test ...

Picture from left to right
Not sure one hose has a bigger fitting then the other ...
Smaller size fist hose ...
About 7/8 second hose fitting ... but to loosen ...
I’m thinking brother tube after ...
Then fuel sensor wrapped on wire loom
Attached Thumbnails
F7A8402C-F581-457A-BE29-46C59B4F3772.jpg  
Old 04-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Okay so I’ve been putting off mounting my 100 gallon gas tank ....
I started working on the entrance door and am trying to make some solutions for stairwell steps ... the run and rise ... also fab my own door and frame ...
Waiting on windows until I put anymore sheets up so I can frame out little windows before the sheets and not after ....
Will already be doing that on the back....
Also ordered some denim jean cotton relative insulation and I’ll start stuffing that inside my hats to replace the fiberglass batting that was factory stuffed into the hats ....
Not sure if it’ll make a difference ....
The factory did it ... so the front half of my bus the hats will be stuffed the back I just left empty ...
I’m planning on spray foam anyways.....

I’ve seen people mount there stairwell with one step ... sojourner had 2 steps and I like the layout but am looking to be able to open the steps up and have storage so therefor I’m building a box with stoweable storage steps ...
It’s kind of hard to think about the door . The frame ... and the stairs and have to create it all from scratch ....
Lots of measurements ....
I also went ahead and took of bottom 2 run rails and skirts ... on entry door side ... and will frame out storage boxes and entry stair well together so I can have a (flush) body line .... I’ll end up with the same clearance as my front bumper ... 20in from the ground ....
Gives me bigger storage in between wheels and my oil pan already hangs down like 10in from the ground so... I’ll have big problems if the 20in hits...
Attached Thumbnails
9F7E1D68-2F1C-42E9-9E95-19875242AE93.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 04-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
well hell yeah man! way to go!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #33
Bus Geek

What happened to your rear wheel wells? I feel like my eyes aren't working or something.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:58 PM   #34
Bus Nut

they’ll be back!! ...
So the plan is to make some storage boxes out of angle and sheet them and then make doors and gain some luggage compartments ...
The benefits are that I now will have almost ... i might reuse my interior bus panels for the walls of the storage boxes ... then 16g sheet as the bottoms and for the lids.... should be plenty strong and also still in the air ....
I also received some more windows today !! And started making the stair case so I’m pretty happy about that....

I do like the lifted look of the bus now though...
and my rear wheel wells had a squared off look on the top ... the front are big and rounded so Ill end up redoing those and make them look a little more squared off up front
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Starting to think that the 1/8th in 1.5 x1.5 I got should of been a little thicker....
Maybe I’ll go back and buy some 3/16 and use that ....
Either way I bought 60ft of angle for 45$
And then they accidentally loaded it up twice and said just go with it ... so I have 120ft of angle and it looks like I’ll be using it all over the bus .... also have 1x2 11g rectangular tubing at the house which I’ll use for my door frame .... and other odds and ends ... the angle would be good for mounting water tanks and furniture... it will be used .... but the storage In the back which is my biggest compartments ... in a sense . They will taper ... might get over constructed
Old 05-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Anybody know what this is?
I need to move it so I’m case it breaks or something I would t have to drop my fuel tank....

I think those are air lines maybe for brakes or air ride suspension
Attached Thumbnails
02F1E075-0A58-4AB8-875F-A2B4A3E47BB0.jpg  
Old 05-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Also I got my stair case and door frame mostly welded up... need to brace it a little more and add an external step and door!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Anybody know what this is?
I need to move it so I’m case it breaks or something I would t have to drop my fuel tank....

I think those are air lines maybe for brakes or air ride suspension
looks like an air distribution block to me? depending on where you want to move it to of course.
will have to lengthen some and shorten some and that thing might actually have different pressure regulators in it for each take off so i would make sure to connect each line back to the home it came from?
looks like you are having fun with it.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
looks like an air distribution block to me? depending on where you want to move it to of course.
will have to lengthen some and shorten some and that thing might actually have different pressure regulators in it for each take off so i would make sure to connect each line back to the home it came from?
looks like you are having fun with it.
Okay yes that’s what it probalay is ....
Well if I can take reconnect each back to there home and flip it to the other side of the frame ... the. I’ll have access to it without needing to remove my tank.... guess I should start by washing it so I can see everything ... maybe number each hose and it’s home ....

Also is the fuel hose from the tank under pressure ??
The hose I have says not for injection pressure ..
also I have a red fuel hose and a black ? Is the red usually a return and back a pickup?
Old 05-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
born and raised in TEJAS actually have family in houston but that is a different story i wont post here?
no help for a skoolie ?
there several others around you that might be helpful?
have fun and good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build thread, fuel tank, window frame