Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Hey BusT, I guess we are blood brothers. Must be in the South Texas air. I did the same thing two weeks ago right across my hand. Heal quickly.
Sorry to hear your bus is asking for blood sacrifice to. Haha
It’s healing good. Get stitches out tomorrow . I really would rather try to cut them out myself instead of paying for the doctor to do it.

Well got drivers side sheets up and run rail installed again the back of this run rail I might make a slit in it and bend it to fit the rear end .
Other then that working on getting the windows cut and possibly fitted today. Some welding near the transition peice and go and buying. Some expo y paint cans and construction papers to start working on the templates ..
Attached Thumbnails
E0871AE9-FFC3-4161-8411-038F8D1BDC2D.jpg   9D53058D-7EB2-4C6B-9E53-16433216A791.jpg   image.jpg  

BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
It looks like you have about two inches of our side skin under the roof skin and another two inches of drip rail overhang. Is this about right?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
grinders dont care?
gotta actually prepare and plan to use them safely.
they make side handles for them for a reason.
i have a friend that took 32 stitches across his face and i have a friend that lost a gonad and to many other things that needed stitching including a main artery besides his main vein?
that was a mess.
use booth hands and the side handle because especially a cutting wheel dont try to guess when it is going to bind just know that it is and be comfortable able and ready when it does.
dont buy a grinder that has a switch that has to be manually shut off buy the ones that are getting more common now that have an internal brake and spring loaded trigger that when you take your finger off the trigger it stops.
any grinder or power tool that you can lock the trigger on and it run without your hands on it is not safe its stupid.
any grinding or cutting wheel needs to rated for the grinder you are using it with.
dont go get a (mild example) a dewalt grinder and expect to use harbor freight grinding wheels and especially cutting wheels with it?
check the grinder wheel speed ratings when you buy them to at least be compatible at a minumum.
cutoff wheels? you need to have the PPE to expect them to come apart at any minute because of whatever you are cutting can pinch it or you are in an uncomfortable position and you shift your body?
if you start a cut out of square and dont catch it early then you are not going to adjust the cut midway with an exploding wheel and attempting starting again? safer and
easier to finish the cut and deal with the seperate pieces.
sorry everytime i see someone hurt by a grinder brings it home to share knowledge.
all my men grind everyday on base construction and its full face shield over safety glasses a full weld booth sometimes.
daily stuff for me?
just want share some knowledge.
and it can be done and has been and probably will be?
but please do not put a 9 inch disk on a 4-1/2 inch grinder especially a cut off disc?
it can handle the speed because its made for a bigger grinder but you lose your wheel guard and it put your hand hold within an inch of the spinning wheel.
has been done and can be done and i have done it while knowing better but it is not a safe choice?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
It looks like you have about two inches of our side skin under the roof skin and another two inches of drip rail overhang. Is this about right?
Yeah slid panels up about and inch or wherever they top out hiring drip rail from inside ...
And at first I had the bottoms of the panels flush with the rivet holes on the bottom of the run rail but decided to cut that off and just leave about and 2 1/2 to 3 Inches slid in behind rub rail
Old 05-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
grinders dont care?
gotta actually prepare and plan to use them safely.
they make side handles for them for a reason.
i have a friend that took 32 stitches across his face and i have a friend that lost a gonad and to many other things that needed stitching including a main artery besides his main vein?
that was a mess.
use booth hands and the side handle because especially a cutting wheel dont try to guess when it is going to bind just know that it is and be comfortable able and ready when it does.
dont buy a grinder that has a switch that has to be manually shut off buy the ones that are getting more common now that have an internal brake and spring loaded trigger that when you take your finger off the trigger it stops.
any grinder or power tool that you can lock the trigger on and it run without your hands on it is not safe its stupid.
any grinding or cutting wheel needs to rated for the grinder you are using it with.
dont go get a (mild example) a dewalt grinder and expect to use harbor freight grinding wheels and especially cutting wheels with it?
check the grinder wheel speed ratings when you buy them to at least be compatible at a minumum.
cutoff wheels? you need to have the PPE to expect them to come apart at any minute because of whatever you are cutting can pinch it or you are in an uncomfortable position and you shift your body?
if you start a cut out of square and dont catch it early then you are not going to adjust the cut midway with an exploding wheel and attempting starting again? safer and
easier to finish the cut and deal with the seperate pieces.
sorry everytime i see someone hurt by a grinder brings it home to share knowledge.
all my men grind everyday on base construction and its full face shield over safety glasses a full weld booth sometimes.
daily stuff for me?
just want share some knowledge.
and it can be done and has been and probably will be?
but please do not put a 9 inch disk on a 4-1/2 inch grinder especially a cut off disc?
it can handle the speed because its made for a bigger grinder but you lose your wheel guard and it put your hand hold within an inch of the spinning wheel.
has been done and can be done and i have done it while knowing better but it is not a safe choice?
Wow that’s sounds bad...
i don’t think I would want to put a 9inch disk on a 4inch grinder ... I thought about going out to buy one but decided not to. That’s just too sketchy.
The harbor freight cutting disk don’t hold up like a dewalt anyways ... I went through a pack compared to about two dewalt disk.
Yeah almost accidents are from lack of being prepared and kind of stupid most of the times ...
It’s a lesson learned and hopefully won’t happen again. But decided they need to slow down and be in a comfortable position all the time...
I prefer googles to if they’re not getting foged up but eye and hearing protection will save your hearing and wife or girlfriend telling you to turn videos down or “are you deaf”
Been to the eye doctor and urgent care to many times for metal shaving in eye....
Old 05-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Window fitted into place

Need to find the little black vibration dampener and Before I use window weld on it...
Also I have some 3m fast cure skin adhesive I’ll be comparing the window weld too . Just because I have a lot and it would save some money not buying 30$ window weld....
Now time for next above sink window
Attached Thumbnails
52EE4CE7-EF22-48E5-B814-F4EB3DEF71A1.jpg  
Old 05-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post
I have some 3m fast cure skin adhesive

LOL ... is that what you used under your lower lip after the grinder had its way with you?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
LOL ... is that what you used under your lower lip after the grinder had its way with you?
LOL !
Maybe if amazon prime wasn’t an option and I was boon docking and in red messy situation .
I had surgical glue , actually called vet surgical glue shipped just in case next time it’s not on the face I’ll be good to go and save a few hundred dollars ... haha
Attached Thumbnails
7EA638B5-3D92-4B87-983B-91337E21A89D.jpg  
Old 05-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Both windows fit

I need to do some paint work where I cut and then I’ll use the window weld once that’s dried .
I hate having to take them off now. It always looks cool then you take them off and put them back on 3 times . Every door , sheet , window...
Also I might make some put some rivets running horizontally through the sheet on the window frame .. just to get that frame stuck to the sheet .
The vhb tape does so good it sticks to your panel while trying to slide it into place then most of the expensive tape dosent even end up where you want it. About a 1/4 of these windows tape got moved and stretched ...
Also wondering if my trim rings wo t fit I might do as Brooklie bus did and rivet the window to the sheets and glue... also thinking of letting the windows sit on butyl tape to act as a vibration dampner
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-15-2020, 10:58 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
I need to do some paint work where I cut and then I’ll use the window weld once that’s dried .
I hate having to take them off now. It always looks cool then you take them off and put them back on 3 times . Every door , sheet , window...
Also I might make some put some rivets running horizontally through the sheet on the window frame .. just to get that frame stuck to the sheet .
The vhb tape does so good it sticks to your panel while trying to slide it into place then most of the expensive tape dosent even end up where you want it. About a 1/4 of these windows tape got moved and stretched ...
Also wondering if my trim rings wo t fit I might do as Brooklie bus did and rivet the window to the sheets and glue... also thinking of letting the windows sit on butyl tape to act as a vibration dampner
I think you really got it going on. Great work !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Quote:
I think you really got it going on. Great work !!
It feels like it’s moving along pretty quick now.. we’ll not really quick but it’s good to see real progress getting made. Not sure if I should rivet windows in or not . I don’t think trim ring will fit over my wall. And the glue is supposed to be the bees knees but . Just glue holding it in sounds like it could possibly come loose
Old 05-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Does it sound reasonable to take this black weather strip padding / seal off . That way the glue adheres to the window frame and goes onto the panel . And not glued to the weather strip itself
Attached Thumbnails
99BB331C-9FF5-47AD-B47C-08FE1FAC26D9.jpg  
Old 05-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
It feels like it’s moving along pretty quick now.. we’ll not really quick but it’s good to see real progress getting made. Not sure if I should rivet windows in or not . I don’t think trim ring will fit over my wall. And the glue is supposed to be the bees knees but . Just glue holding it in sounds like it could possibly come loose
For what it is worth BusT. As many cabinet jobs that I have done and knowing the glue is the strongest part of the joint, I've always added a couple of brads for insurance.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Quote:
For what it is worth BusT. As many cabinet jobs that I have done and knowing the glue is the strongest part of the joint, I've always added a couple of brads for insurance.
So there glued up now ... I might go back and add some rivets just for insurance like you mentioned but will let glue dry first and kind of test it out a little ... if there’s too much play . And I think it can wiggle free...
Right now it’s kind of clamped to
Help adhere
Old 06-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #75
Bus Nut

Transition is coming along

Working on the transition now . Most of it’s welded up and going to put Home Depot bondo
glass on welds then sand and prime .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Here the top
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #77
Bus Nut

A closer top view. One side I made to short even after redoing both bigger wall to roof pieces .
Drivers side has a welded seam and passengers side is laped about 1 1/2 in and seam sealed . Will also get caulked with self leveling
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #78
Bus Nut

And another from behind new entry stairs showing transition .
I’ve had the bus for abo. 14 months now and cut the hat channel in November . . It’s taking long and I’m trying my best to get everything as close to right as I can but it’s also not a piano ...
I am trying
F to make it structally as sound as possible and can’t wait to get on the inside and build it out from there ...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Also although it looks super unlevel in pics the hatch is pretty close haha
Old 06-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #80
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
It's looking great man, keep at it. My 1.5 year anniversary with my bus is coming up in a week and I'm finally doing some interior build out - feels great.

Tags
build thread, fuel tank, window frame