Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
TrentonS build thread

How’s everyone?
I know steel prices are down . I just bought 40ft of 1x1 and a 4x10 ft 18g sheet and 20ft of flat bar 1in x1/8th thick for 130....
I then looked up steel stock and saw it was down 44% due to corona .
I’ve been working on the bus a lot and not really documenting much. And if I do occasionally film I’m not posting it anywhere that should change .
Well I have a fuel tank question and I’ll also link some progres pics.
I have a factory side mounted 35 gallon tank.
Just bought a 100 gallon tank from a bus with the safety cage ... estimated 350 pounds .
I want to mount in the rear middle of frame . I need to use safety cage.. maybe de construct it a bit and add some flanges for it to hang from bolts. Then I want to have flanges and support for underbody storage tied into the safety cage ... capable of 2000lbs .
So under body storage on the rear left and right all the way up to rear axle and fuel in the middle between frame rails...
I will need to extend fuel line and sensors and wiring and I need to find fuel line and wiring and schematics ... I do t know what any of the lines coming out of my tanks are .

Also got finished framing windows and still Want to beef these up ... 1x1 dosent look as strong as my hat channels with the c channel runiing through it as a rib... and i need to decided how I’ll rivet a sheet onto the side of the windows ... Maybe weld some angle around the window frames...

Welll hopefully I’ll just stick with using this as a build thread ... and not start making my own post unless it s very specific ... I find it easier to learn from someone that has just one long post ...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Also I’m coming up on my year anniversary with the bus... i haven’t done much but hope to step it up and get a lot done
Old 03-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
Bus Nut

This is my new gas tank 100 gallons and where I plan to mount it ... also would removing this cross brace affect anything if I’ll be bolting the fuel tank and most of the safety cage in its place ... also I’ll give a big picture of the bus too
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-22-2020, 01:16 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I see what you mean with the 1" frame around the windows. Up against the hat channel, they look real thin. Have you done a lot of pulling, pushing and general rattling ofthe window frames?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Not any driving but when I pull them the whole bus moves and they have a little flex ....
i also have 1x2 I could use somewhere and try to bulk it up
Old 03-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post
Not any driving but when I pull them the whole bus moves and they have a little flex ....
i also have 1x2 I could use somewhere and try to bulk it up
Remember, you will have the outer skin attached which will give a little more structure to the opening.

How do you plan to fill in the gap between the edge of the 1" framework and the inside edge of the hat channel? I would think that would be a good place to use the 1"x2" making a sill all around the frame and adding more strength.

By the way, I like your fancy welding cart. Spend much time in making that?
Old 03-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I’ve been thinking of ways to use the 1x2 maybe weld in the centers of the hat to my window frames from the original window rail...

If that makes since . So far on one side I just capped them with some scrap... I’ve been climbing in and out of them and there pretty solid and yes the skin being riveted will help a lot . And yes I’ve been wanting to turn the grocery getter Into a more refined welding cart but have bigger projects haha. It works well for now
Old 03-22-2020, 03:59 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Caps on windows where hat sticks past framing
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I need to automate this message: if you convert your pics to PNG format before uploading, they will be oriented correctly (i.e. not rotated).

I've been meaning to write a script to fix this automatically, but I'm too lazy.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I need to automate this message: if you convert your pics to PNG format before uploading, they will be oriented correctly (i.e. not rotated).

I've been meaning to write a script to fix this automatically, but I'm too lazy.
Man a lot of times I’m in mobile and I guess I could get a app to convert pic to png but it’s a drawn out process on here . I like sharing pics but it’s not the fastest and most user friendly ...

Compared to Instagram or something like that... you have to go to advanced Messenger then upload and then wait ... then add a minimum number of text ... then it might only upload 1 of the 5 you actually meant
Old 03-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I’m not into coding and understand it takes a lot sometimes but how many hours would that take to do if so? And is there a quicker way we could ....
i would really ti to just start taking video and then share that but am also to lazy to edit and set up a camera before any work I do
Old 03-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Man a lot of times I’m in mobile and I guess I could get a app to convert pic to png but it’s a drawn out process on here . I like sharing pics but it’s not the fastest and most user friendly ...

Compared to Instagram or something like that... you have to go to advanced Messenger then upload and then wait ... then add a minimum number of text ... then it might only upload 1 of the 5 you actually meant
Yeah, I dunno what to do if you're uploading from mobile. I've never used tapatalk either, so I don't know what that entails.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
I’m not into coding and understand it takes a lot sometimes but how many hours would that take to do if so? And is there a quicker way we could ....
i would really ti to just start taking video and then share that but am also to lazy to edit and set up a camera before any work I do
It would be easy to fix on the server side (I think) but that's under the control of the site team. It's possible (I think) to write a script that would run in your browser after each page loads and rotate each picture to the correct orientation. I haven't done that stuff in years so it would take a little bit of getting myself back up to speed first.

I've also been too lazy to even attempt a video. I'd need a camera mounted on my head to get footage of anything, or a videographer friend.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:

Somebody on here told me to use Tapatalk app. Its not always the best but you can load pictures no problem.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:16 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Caps on windows where hat sticks past framing
That is what I thought you meant by using the 1"x2" ... to make a sill.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #16
Bus Nut

That gap was like 5/8 I could of notched the 1x2 around those sills and then notched around the existing factory hats... I might still . But it’s for sure plenty strong I think just 1x2
Old 03-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Prepping for sheets and installed windows

Still a few more days before I’m ready to sheets
Attached Thumbnails
00F404D4-DF3E-48D5-9127-7A4C6CE0FE8C.jpg   61CFD60D-3312-4059-A852-05D6666AF5FA.jpg  
Old 03-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Still a few more days before I’m ready to sheets
Nice, the back looks totally factory ... in a weird, mutant sort of way (I mean that as a compliment, of course). Are you keeping the whole door lock mechanism, and if so are you going to extend the bottom arm so it reaches the floor again? I have the opposite problem on my side door, where I need to shorten that arm by 3".
Old 03-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Nice, the back looks totally factory ... in a weird, mutant sort of way (I mean that as a compliment, of course). Are you keeping the whole door lock mechanism, and if so are you going to extend the bottom arm so it reaches the floor again? I have the opposite problem on my side door, where I need to shorten that arm by 3".
It looks taller in the photos ... like more stretched out ?
If your talking about the rear door then the door lock mechanism that I saw after buying from previous owner was just like a door knob . Slide catch ... with the big red lever ... I’m going to try and modify it a bit ... it has play now and dosent seal tight.
Due to stretching the door to fit the raise ... when I start fixing the back door again I’ll take car of that ...
I also need to go ahead and move my fuel tank . Put the 100 gallon in and cut my wall for my new entry door
Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Yeah, I meant more stretched out. It looks very good, "mutant" is not a bad thing.

Tags
build thread, fuel tank, window frame