Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
And...never, ever apply water based paint to bare metal. I can only hope the reasons are obvious. Even Detroit has had fits with all the new EPA friendly water based crap.

Somewhere in my buses (long) history, some moron either stripped or sandblasted parts down to bare metal then applied cheap, water-based latex. The results are that those areas all have a solid layer of rust with paint flaking off in big chunks.

The untouched areas that still have the original school bus orange...(yes it's that old) show bright clean metal under the paint.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Nice job! We went with white over blue, and it looks snappy. But it isn't as cool as yours...
Thanks
That paint job is what sold that bus easy. Sold it because too darn long for my tastes. Working on my vintage Gm short WB gasser now.

The roof, BTW, was done with Kool Seal. An acrylic, white rubber-like roof sealer. Roll it on too. It expands, contracts... reflects most of the suns heat and also deadens rain sound off the metal roof. Also water proofs. Great stuff for any bus/rv roof.

I did a home made test once panting a metal porch roof with it. On a mid summer day you could not touch underside of the metal roof panels too hot!.... Applied the Kool Seal and after that, no matter how hot the sun, you could lay the flat of your hand on underside of roof panels and it felt cool to the touch. IMPRESSED ME!

Be especially great for those skoolies living in places like Florida or the S.W.

One last bit of advice. Never apply the paint or the Kool Seal in the heat of the day. It will do what's called "flash dry". It drys almost on contact, that is too fast and doesn't give it the maximum adherence. Do it early in the morning after the dew has dried off. Or under roof if you are fortunate enough to have that option.
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
You might try industrial acrylic paint. It's made for painting things like ag equipment. I've got ten years on my bus's paint and it's still good. Just do good prep. It's water soluble. I used an airless sprayer.
A friend of mine painted his old 70's Dodge motor home with a wagner power sprayer and acrylic paint he uses at work.

Came out great!

Of course he is a professional house painter that has years of experience spraying houses, barns, fences and commercial buildings.
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote