Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Trying to find project I saw on this site

Can someone help me find this bus or coach? I believe it was on this site. I want to put in similar cabinets for a future project.

A description of the inside: It is set up for two persons with a single bed in the back, with a set of cabinets across in interior wall looking foreword of the bed. All the interior cabinets are stained light blue and the doors are set in old style. The interior work looked like an old style cap cod house. While looking at it I found it referenced on another site, and sure as s##t I cant find it anywhere now, really frustrating. I just spent 3 hours looking on this site but didn't see it. I usually mark these things. I do remember many folks saying that the interior was fantastic. I wish I had a better description of what the outside looked like, but I was taken with the cabinets. Thanks for any help.

I just found this site a month ago and I like all the different solutions to setting these things up. Last year I ripped out the interior of a 13 foot scamp and redesigned/ rebuilt the interior and it turned out great. Doing the work myself I was able to put in more storage and know how to fix anything. The good thing is my wife enjoyed the trailer so much this summer that she's with me to go full time in a couple of years. Right now we are looking into redoing an older trailer, but after seeing this site I may be looking at doing a bus. In the meantime I'll just keep enjoying what everyone else is doing.

Dannyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Trying to find project I saw on this site

I was just looking at this today
Is this it?
http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-main.shtml
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Part of Von Slatt's cabinet doors are overlay and part are inset. I dislike an inset door overall for two reasons and one specific reason for RV/bus use...

#1... you have to leave a fairly good sized gap around the door otherwise it will bind in damp weather. This gap will allow dirt/dust in unless you add a seal (like a euro dust sweep) to the cabinet door.

#2... the doors bind in damp weather and you end up having to pry the suckers open with a knife to get into the cabinet. You end up rubbing the paint/finish off the rails.

#3.. I'm not wild about having an inset door in a mobile structure that flexes and twists going down the road. The cabinets in the Class C are what's called a "lipped" door (1/8" gap at best). Also not great as I have had trouble prying the things open more than once (they bind like insets). The bathroom door in the Class C is also lipped and the lousy thing binds if the Class C isn't perfectly level.

Potentially binding cabinet doors are not good if you plan on traveling from high humidity areas (like the Southern Appalachian mtns) to low humidity areas (like deserts) and back again. The boards on the top of my cedar chest opened up while out here in NM (two biggest gaps are 1/8" and 1/4") and my vintage rock maple table is being held together by the stringers under the top. both these originally spent years in FL before we moved them up to NC where they grew & shrank minimally thru the seasons. I don't dare pull them apart and reglue them since we plan on moving back east at some point. Doing that could cause them to destroy themselves as the pressure built up from expansion. I prefer a partial overlay (on a frameless 3/4" cabinet). But that is my personal taste and what we will build. Full overlays also tend to want to bind with their neighbouring doors/drawer fronts if you are using a minimal reveal. But what do I know, I've only had over 30 years working in cabinetry & construction. David had only had 41 years in cabinetry & construction (he ran two commercial cabinet shops compared to my one). So don't listen to me.

types of cabinet doors...
Inset doors are designed to sit within the rails and stiles of the cabinet frame. They are tightly fitted between the front edges of the cabinet box. In its truest make, inset doors are only assembled to a framed construction, but recent designs use vertical pilasters to assemble the inset door on frameless cabinets. Some sort of a knob or door pull is needed to open the doors and drawers with this type of door.

Lipped doors are similar to inset doors in that a part of the door still sits within the cabinet frame. Along the entire back edge, a groove is made to fit over the face frame. This groove allows part of the door to rest in the cabinet and leaves the remaining part resting on the surface of the cabinet. Once again, some sort of a knob or door pull is needed to open the doors and drawers.

Partial overlay doors are mounted on the face frame. Overlay is a term used to describe the amount of the face frame that is covered by the cabinet door. The part of the frame that remains visible is often called the reveal. Partial overlay doors typically leave 1 inch of reveal on the face frame. This type of door is the most common type of cabinet door.

Full overlay doors practically cover the entire reveal. Less than one-eighth of an inch is left on the face frame between doors. Full overlay doors are generally found on frameless cabinets but they can still be assembled on framed cabinets as well. Hinges are concealed with this type of door and door knobs or pulls are needed to open the door.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #4

Thanks so much, this is the one I was trying to find. Also thanks for the great information on the inset cabinet doors, I hadn't even thought of that. I think that one of the reason that this interior has stuck with me is that it reminds me of my great grandmothers house I visited when very young. Even at that age I liked the color and feeling of the kitchen, and all the cookies she used to make me didn't hurt. I really appreciate taking the time and explaining the cabinet door problems so thoroughly.

Dan
Dannyh is offline   Reply With Quote