Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: TygerCub's Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Pictures of our foolishness are REQUIRED of anyone who has reached "skoolie" status. Congrats TC!
I had no problem with the pictures, or the posts. I really admire the lady - she reminded me of my mother, whom I also admire and adore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Have you decided to leave BOB white? Bobwhite??? Isn't that a bird??
You know... that actually is a good idea! Totally missed that play on words.

I may leave parts of him white, but for the most part, I think I'm going to let my creativity work on him some. Instead of the traditional flames, I think I'm going to do some ivy across the hood. I want something of the wilderness in the paint scheme. I've been working in an industrial setting for so long - all steel and concrete - that wrapping the bus in something a little more soothing will be nice.

Can't wait to get out this afternoon! It's gonna be a scorcher, but I'm really looking forward to starting work.

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Just returned from talking with Tommy. Wow! I didn't realize there was quite so much to do to poor old BOB.

List of other things to do...
  • He said some of the tires are dry-rotting and should be replaced soon. Luckily, he knows a guy who knows a supply for cheap (that's a relative term, of course). [/*:m:237kcjnd]
  • He recommended changing the front shocks since they were very stiff. But both rear shocks are dead. The right rear literally crumbled in his hand when he reached up to show me [/*:m:237kcjnd]
  • The driver's side front tire definitely needs a new kingpin and bearings. He said he could do that and the shocks without much problem.[/*:m:237kcjnd]
  • One of the sensor wires was definitely broken off leading to the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Neither Mom nor I saw it until he picked up the OBVIOUSLY dangling sensor and said, "Oh yeah, there's yer problem!" (DOH!) [/*:m:237kcjnd]
  • and, He said I needed to take BOB to the local big truck shop and have them perform a regular service/maintenance... i.e. change the oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, etc.[/*:m:237kcjnd]
Some of the other things he said he could do for me
  • Fabricate a new slide/pullie for the front door.[/*:m:237kcjnd]
  • Scavenge an air-ride driver's seat.[/*:m:237kcjnd]
  • and Route the muffler pipe either a little farther behind the bus, or off to the side so the fumes don't collect under the bus so easily. Evidently the pipe's just a little too short.[/*:m:237kcjnd]
Of course, I think he's just as interested in seeing what I do for interior modifications as he is on helping to work through BOB's problems. As he said, this family definitely loves challenges!

Now if I only had the money to start right away on the major stuff!!!! If this project does nothing else for me, it will definitely teach me to learn PATIENCE!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #43
Bus Nut

I actually got out to the RV storage facility today and started to work a little on the inside. Had to get up early to start as soon as the place opened to beat the heat... 90+ degrees and OMG humidity is NOT something I can withstand. // CAUTION: RANT AHEAD // - I swear if I hear one more person say, "You'll get used to it", I'm gonna kick 'em in the nads! I've lived here all my life and have never gotten used to it and never will get used to it. I'm a northern climate breed of human. Fair skinned, blue eyed, red haired celtic decendent that has no business being this close to the equator! // END RANT //

Anyway...

I posted three videos to YouTube that pretty much explains what I did - and didn't - get accomplished.
Video 1 =
Video 2 =
Video 3 =

For those who can't view videos (and for those who don't want to be bored outta their skulls), the short version of a long story is I removed most of the screws from the wall panels on both sides of the interior. I say "most" because an awful lot of them were just too damned stubborn to come out. Unfortunately, the lower side panels are one long piece, so ANY screws that remained meant I couldn't remove either of those panels... and there were plenty that just refused to budge.

Above the windows were six panels per side, each about 10" tall, and curved to transition the two long roof panels (left & right) to the windows on either side of the bus. Out of all the panels on the bus, only the top two in the rear driver's side had all of the screws come out successfully and could be removed. Underneath, I found the expected fiberglass insulation. But what I didn't expect to find was the insulation in such good shape! I may end up keeping the roof mostly intact and only strip away the side panels to access all the wiring.

And speaking of wiring... can someone tell me what the codes mean on these wires?

You can find the original (much sharper) image in my updated gallery: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk...avId=x23dd1052

Is that the "stranded wire" I see you guys talking about in the electrical threads? I'm no where close to touching on the electrical system yet, but it would be good to know for the future.

Since I was rather frustrated by my inability to bend mere metal to my will I decided to see how well the new "shower pan" would fit near the back of the bus.

As you can see, the "pan" is just a 2'x3' mixing bucket. I figure I can frame it out with specially curved wood supports, shoot some Handi-foam under it to fill the voids between supports, add a drain, walls, and a shower curtain on front, and end up with an inexpensive alternative to the $300+ fiberglass shower pans that are all a little too big. If it doesn't work, I'll rip it out and start all over again. The toilet would sit on the other side of the door.

Of course... all of this will be subject to change again, and again, and again until it's all completed!

That's all for tonight. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
P.S. - in case you missed the link above, more pictures can be found in my gallery http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk...avId=x23dd1052
Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Strange Connection

I think that mysterious hole near BOB's left rear corner is where his rear stop sign used to live while he was still hauling kiddies for a living. The wires provided power to the flashing lights on the sign.
zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #45
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

TygerCub you're doing great- making me jelous. Like the youtube updates.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #46
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Very creative on your shower pan. I ended up going to a mobile home supply store and picking up my 32x32 shower pan for $120. Just an option over the expensive pans.
tfdfyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner

BOB is looking great Tygercub! You picked up a good bus for the project. Keep the photos coming!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Despite the heat, this afternoon I went to work on BOB with the hopes of getting rid of the remaining stubborn screws. I tried tapping the screws with a hammer to loosen whatever rust may be holding them in place. That worked for a couple of the screws, but the vast majority of them remained just as stubbornly intact as before. In case this happened, I also brought along a screw removal kit. But I guess I wasn't doing something correctly because I still couldn't get the blasted things out. I finally admitted defeat and decided to call it a day.

But next time... next time I'll come back with a set of drill bits and then... oh yes! Then, they shall bend to my will!!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #49
Bus Nut

I think a hammer impact screw driver would do the trick & places like Harbor Freight have them for little money. If you haven't used one you put the phillips bit in it & hit it with a hammer & they work wonders. If I had mine handy I would post a photo of it...
Old 07-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Yeah! But I have to keep trying with what I have right now cause I'm flat broke!

Posted a couple more videos of the progress to date. http://www.youtube.com/user/TygerCub Things seem to be moving pitifully slow, but it's definitely been a learning experience.

It always amazes me how quickly I get tired while working on BOB. I've definitely been at a desk job for Way Too Long . I remember when I was working on the waterfront, I could do pull ups! Now I'm lucky if I can just sit up... out of bed each morning!

Bah!

I refuse to be getting old and out of shape! Age is merely a figment of the imagination (or lack thereof). And I have a shape! It's just not quite the same as it used to be... things just kinda... "settled". Yeah! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #51
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
It always amazes me how quickly I get tired while working on BOB. I've definitely been at a desk job for Way Too Long . I remember when I was working on the waterfront, I could do pull ups! Now I'm lucky if I can just sit up... out of bed each morning!
I refuse to be getting old and out of shape! Age is merely a figment of the imagination (or lack thereof). And I have a shape! It's just not quite the same as it used to be... things just kinda... "settled". Yeah! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!
Ya know, I feel the same! I thought I was in good shape until I started to work on this beast! I work at home online for our business & man I may look like I am in shape but getting out in the heat & humidity I got my a** handed to me!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #52
Bus Nut

More progress on BOB this weekend. I finally bought a small grinder and took the heads off the rest of the stubborn screws. I used a combination of cutting wheel and grinding wheel on the larger screws, but just used the plain grinding wheel for the smaller ones.

After taking care of the screws, it felt like the panel was still attached somehow, so I took a hammer and a garden tool and "walked" my way down the bottom edge, prying it loose as I went.

It still feels attached somehow, though. My guess is the top edge is folded over and hooked onto the window ledge.

But it feels like there is more. Until I know how it's attached, I'm afraid to pull too much and risk deforming the panel. I'd like to keep this panel in good shape since I hope to use it to cover the windows that will eventually come out.

The video may be found here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TygerCub
Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Now THAT looks like a pain in the butt!
Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #54
Bus Nut

It really was a pain in the butt! Especially when I would get half way down the panel and the side would POP! loose, letting both the garden hoe and the hammer slip out from under the edge. Then I'd have to "walk" the two of them back down the bottom edge again until I hit another bad spot... rinse & repeat

It's all good, though! My biggest problem this time of year is the heat. I just have no tolerance for it. So even though i'd only been working for a couple of hours, the heat was really sapping my strength and will to do anything more. Hopefully, once the weather cools off I'll be more energized to move a little more quickly.

Good news from the local big truck shop! I stopped by today to ask how much a regular drive train PM would cost - something I'd put off because I dreaded the answer. Luckily, the guy estimated it would cost less than $400 to change all the filters and fluids (brake, transmission and engine). I'm sure he'll find stuff wrong (surely there are some seals that need replacing too), so I'm estimating it would cost around $500 - $600 depending on what else he found wrong. It's a lot of money, but a HECK of a lot LESS than I was expecting. YaY! Now to just save it up...
Old 07-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub

Good news from the local big truck shop! I stopped by today to ask how much a regular drive train PM would cost - something I'd put off because I dreaded the answer. Luckily, the guy estimated it would cost less than $400 to change all the filters and fluids (brake, transmission and engine). I'm sure he'll find stuff wrong (surely there are some seals that need replacing too), so I'm estimating it would cost around $500 - $600 depending on what else he found wrong. It's a lot of money, but a HECK of a lot LESS than I was expecting. YaY! Now to just save it up...
I think that is a smart idea... There is no better feeling when you pick up the bus after a service knowing she is breathing well & totally lubed!!! ALWAYS drives better
This was the first thing we did with our bus before it even made it home. Another thing you may want to check into is having them do a DOT commercial truck checklist to be sure of the condition of your bus overall. We paid $125 I believe for the inspection it answered alot of questions & showed us the little bit of work that was needed but I am now comfortable knowing our bus is more than road worthy! (although it makes ya nervous not knowing what the verdict will be)...
Old 07-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Went back out to the RV storage lot yesterday and cut that interior panel out. Went pretty quickly once I figured out how I wanted to tackle it.

Once more, I was surprised by what I found. Most of the insulation appeared to be in great shape. There were only a couple of places that had "crispy" edges. I think I'll cut these pieces away to see what kind of damage is under them, then fill in the empty gaps with some expanding foam. Over this, I'll add another layer of high density foam (blue or pink stuff) before framing and skinning begins.

Only a handful of minor rust spots were on the interior panel. If I'm lucky, it will be like that all the way through the bus.

The corresponding rust is even more minor and should scrub off with a brass wire brush.

Overall, things are looking good. I'll get a video posted later this weekend.

If I'm lucky, I'll also get back out to the bus and start tearing up the rubber mat. It was something I'd hoped to avoid, but while taking a break from the grinder, I started tearing away at the edges and the mat pulled up relatively easily. If I'm lucky, the entire thing will come up easily. It does appear that there is NO wood underneath. I don't know if this is standard or not, but it does mean I'm going to be loosing a good 2" of head room to the insulation/plywood/flooring combo that still has to be installed. More on that when I finally get to it...

Oh yeah, one more thing... I scored a nice 3' x 3' shower stall from my Mother! Some friends of hers have been storing building supplies for a new house in her attic for years. Unfortunately, with the way the economy tanked, they had to sell the land where they hoped to build. Now they are getting rid of some of the building supplies too and so... I now have a larger shower stall. Good stuff! YaY!

has given me some hope that things will go relatively smoothly now.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Hey, looking good! The walls do look to be in good shape. THat is strange there is not a wood floor... How high is your interior ceiling? So what are you going to use to cover the walls?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #58
Bus Nut

I want to frame the entire space with 1" x 2" studs at each window brace to create a thermal break between the exterior metal and the interior living space.

Over the studs I will use a combination of luan (for the ceiling), and a mix of regular plywood and cabinet grade plywood. The regular (cheap) plywood will be used as a base for counters, closets & cabinets. The nice (mucho $$$$) plywood will be used on the walls that will remain exposed to the interior, such as in the "living room". Since I don't expect that much of the lower wall to remain exposed, I'm thinking I'll only have to purchase one or two 4' x 8' sheets of the good stuff.

Between the exterior metal and interior wood panels, I want to stuff as much insulation as possible. Looking at the depth of stuff already in place, I think I can safely reuse much of what's left and simply use an expanding spray foam around the edges to seal any "leaks" or "drafts". Once I've done that, I should be able to fill the remaining space with foam board, tape it all into place, and hit any gaps that might be left with the spray foam again. Once the luan is over the boards, I don't want to hear any annoying squeaking as I'm driving down the road. Squeaks are, I'm sure, impossible to completely eliminate.

Right now, the ceiling height is approximately 6' at the peak. That's a full 6" headroom for me (I'm such a little thing ). But I'm not claustrophobic, and hope to have a light colored interior, so even with a mere 4" of headroom, life should be relatively comfortable. You know... as long as I don't want to raise my arms to stretch, or bounce on the balls of my feet as I normally do, or get startled by anything... (Wha?!? BONK! OUCH! )
Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #59
Bus Nut

That should make a nice secure & quiet interior! its a good thing you are not a 6 footer or taller (I am 6'3") as you would have a tough time... I don't think I could handle a low ceiling. I really want to finish mine interior with salvaged wood, maybe a weathered pine with a light stain or tongue & groove. I like the pattern it creates.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Thanks, guys!

I know I'm getting some good stuff done, but I have to say at times I get a little discouraged by the lack of time and money I have to spend on it. I can get out there one or two days a week if I'm lucky, and then only a couple of hours before the RV yard closes.

But good news is... My Grandmother is coming to stay for a month, so I'm spending most of my time turning my house's livingroom into a bedroom and the office into a "port a potty" so she doesn't have to climb the stairs. Gotta make sure granny is safe!!! While she's here, she wants to help me get the house "staged" to sell. She's got the gift for decoration, so hopefully, she'll be able to work her magic and make it happen. In today's depressed housing market, though, it will be tough.

When the house sells, though... then I'll have plenty of money to pour into the bus!

In the mean time, I figure demolition is free. Well... mostly free... as long as I don't count the cost of a couple of new power tools (ooo... aaah... mmmm... Power Tools... )

Still trying to get time to work on the Day 5 video. Will post a link as soon as I get it done.