Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2022, 02:05 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 85505
Engine: Cat 3126B 210 hp Allison mt643 transmission
Rated Cap: 78 passengers
Update for Big Lebuski conversion

Well it has been a slow start to our conversion or more percisely a remodeling of our 2000 Thomas Saf T Liner MVP ER. Managed to track down parts needed (starter solenoid for CAT 3126B engine, bulbs, and speed sensor for the allison mt643 transmission). Acquired the literature needed so that we can get our class b non cdl licenses here in illinois. As well as paperwork for us to get it registered as a RV. and tonight an insurance company called Roamly that covers professionally done and DIY skoolies for actually solid price. for the premium option for my wife and i $74.16 a month. a decent craftsman socket wrench set for doing some of the repairs I need to do before getting a DOT safety inspection. So now the main focus is get the mechanical repairs done. Then legal paperwork and licensing done while designing the new interior for our family of 5. the previous owners was a family of 3. they said that they didn't have any experience with construction and what not when they did it themselves. its not really too bad admittedly but it does need some work and there are a couple of things we are wanting to do with it such as solar power and plumbing. My wife finally picked a color for the outside. a flat burnt orange color. we are considering renaming our skoolie. Im thinking maybe Bevo (like the Univ of Texas longhorns mascot) if we are going to paint a burnt orange. anyways, its coming together at the least. Thankfully through a weird sense of events in my life i do have a little bit of experience with every area that is needed for this build. as well as a rolladex of buddies that are professionals that are willing to help me out as need be. So now its just a matter of money, time, and dedication to a plan's execution.

Justinb.jackson903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Exciting times!

Nice to see you're focusing on the most important things first (mechanical integrity / legality)

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:29 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah definitely very exciting times. Yeah figured I'd keep it simple and use common sense fix the big picture that affects its main use of travelling then work on the finer details. Also splitting it up in stages makes it less overwhelming.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:51 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
stages!! and get some enjoyment out of it along the way.. keep it driveable and drive it sometimes.. one of the worst things i see are busses that site for several years during builds.. people get overwhelmed and lose interest..

but if you take it out on a weekend camping trip now and then you keep the excitement up.. and also leanr more what you want your interior to really be when done as you have some experience with how things were left t oyou by the last owner and what you want ot change..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah definitely going to be driving it around once it's mechanically sound especially because I would have to take a road test in it for the class b noncdl licensing required in illinois....Illinois.... there are somethings that are definitely keepers like the electrical junction box the sink the cancer stove propane takes tv wall mount outlets and what not but layout flooring is definitely changing

Tags
design, insurance, money, paperwork, repairs