Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Vicaribus: 1998 Thomas Vista

Hey folks. Just getting started converting this 98 Vista shorty.

We plan on spending the next 12 months converting, then hitting the road permanently afterwords.

Picked it up in the Tampa, Fl area a couple months ago. The previous owner started the conversion, with a paint job, seat removal, and flooring. The bus was listed on Craigslist as only having 59k miles, which was part of the appeal. Turns out, though, that the dash would cut out completely from time to time (not during the test drive, unfortunately), so who knows how many miles are really on it.

Right after purchasing, I drove it over to Daytona (near family) and dropped it off at a Ford dealership for a while to check it over, replace all fluids, etc. The only add-on was a full brake job, master-cylinder included. Otherwise, it was given the thumps up.

It also had some electrical demons, like the dash issue, that I knew about and opted to take care of myself. I've spent the last 2 days working through those (listed below) in preparation for my trip back to Denver - where I actually live, and where the full conversion will go down.

So far I've had to fix:
  • Front left blinker - unscrewed and screwed back on, worked..
  • Rear right blinker - took it apart, only to find out they aren't supposed to be taken apart, but rather replaced as a whole, just switched my red flashers with the amber blinkers since both of those work, for now, until the new light assembly comes in
  • Sporadic dash failures - took apart, cleaned connections, reconnected, so far so good, except the fuel gauge
  • Fuel gauge - disconnected from the Fuel Tank Sender Unit, gauge did not go to zero, or move, grounded the hot line and also did not move, thus assuming the problem is the gauge and not the sender - for now I have run wires back up to the cab that i can plug into my multimeter to read the resistance on the line to get an idea of the range that the sender unit operates on - when I get home a will build a little display that will read this resistance and provide my a level reading based on the ranges I see on my drive home
  • Windshield wipers - the switch seemed to only work and every ten times or so, replaced with an identical part from Autozone, and now works

Tomorrow I will go into the DMV to see if I can get it retitled as a Motorhome. I attempted this when I first purchased and registered it. I almost had it until the supervisor was consulted, who insisted it would be a 'vehicle assembled from parts' and would need an inspection. I told them I would come back.

I will keep up this thread, and will also be documenting the build at http://vicarb.us

Shiftynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's a cute little bus. Welcome.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's a cute little bus. Welcome.
Cute is an understatement!

I want one.....

Tell us more about the bus (engine& trans etc) and what your plans are for conversion.

Welcome!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Tell us more about the bus (engine& trans etc) and what your plans are for conversion.

Welcome!
Thanks!

I know it has a the T444E, not actually sure which transmission it is yet.

The plan is, bed w/ under storage in the rear, shower/composting toilet in the middle on the right side, small couch in front of that just behind the stairs. Kitchen right behind the driver w/ small table for two between it and bed.

Thinking about putting fresh and grey water tanks under the bus.

Roof will have half solar, and half decking.

Will have all kinds of little tech gadgets and data loggers that I plan on building, since that is one of my main hobbies.

The plan is to live it full time as long a we can/want to.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftynick View Post
  • Sporadic dash failures - took apart, cleaned connections, reconnected, so far so good, except the fuel gauge
If you still find that you're having problems with the dash then try resoldering the connection pins. It's not uncommon for the solder to crack and cause occasional failure.

Quote:
  • Fuel gauge - disconnected from the Fuel Tank Sender Unit, gauge did not go to zero, or move, grounded the hot line and also did not move, thus assuming the problem is the gauge and not the sender - for now I have run wires back up to the cab that i can plug into my multimeter to read the resistance on the line to get an idea of the range that the sender unit operates on - when I get home a will build a little display that will read this resistance and provide my a level reading based on the ranges I see on my drive home
My International had a fuel gauge wire that was completely rotten at a spot somewhere around the transmission. I cut the wire way up near the engine where there was no corroded copper, replaced the whole wire run back to the sender and it's been 100% reliable since. Might be something worth trying. The fuel gauge itself is the least likely gauge to fail in that cluster of yours due to its simplicity compared to the others.

Those vistas are so strange and wonderful.. Have fun with it!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Thanks!

I know it has a the T444E, not actually sure which transmission it is yet.

The plan is, bed w/ under storage in the rear, shower/composting toilet in the middle on the right side, small couch in front of that just behind the stairs. Kitchen right behind the driver w/ small table for two between it and bed.

Thinking about putting fresh and grey water tanks under the bus.

Roof will have half solar, and half decking.

Will have all kinds of little tech gadgets and data loggers that I plan on building, since that is one of my main hobbies.

The plan is to live it full time as long a we can/want to.
Cool little bus!
LOTS of bus folks here in FL nowadays, its really cool!

YOur transmission is an allison AT545 or 542. Most likely the 175 hp version of the 444E, same engine and transmission I've got in my Shorty McShortFace.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I have the same bus. The transmission in mine is a 542, which is the same as the 545 except for the fluid capacity. There is a placque on the passenger side of it that will say for sure.

Mine also has the 175hp version of the engine, again there is a tag on the passenger side valve cover with that info.

Space can be tight. We don't have proper cooking area, sink, or shower. Planet fitness ftw. We do have solar as our sole power source, a fridge, composting head, some organized storage... We have been full time for going on three months now.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I have the same bus. The transmission in mine is a 542, which is the same as the 545 except for the fluid capacity. There is a placque on the passenger side of it that will say for sure.

Mine also has the 175hp version of the engine, again there is a tag on the passenger side valve cover with that info.

Space can be tight. We don't have proper cooking area, sink, or shower. Planet fitness ftw. We do have solar as our sole power source, a fridge, composting head, some organized storage... We have been full time for going on three months now.
Awesome! Any Vista specific tips?

I checked my plaque, but no mention of engine/transmission.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Awesome! Any Vista specific tips?
avoid sugar sand.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
Bus Geek

The tags you need to look at are on the engine valve cover and the transmission itself. The tag inside the bus is not so informative!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
avoid sugar sand.
The real advice is... Get a shovel.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

DMV Update

I went back in for my second attempt at titling to a Motor Home today. I brought in my affidavit claiming that the 110V wiring was installed, and a printout of Florida TL-13 with the pertaining sections highlighted.

Short story, it was a success!

Longer story, it took about 30 minutes for the DMV folks to figure out exactly what was going on. They eventually determined it was doable, but required an official weight measurement before they could process the "title correction". So I had to run and get a weighing for 5 bucks at the local landfill. Upon returning it took another 15 minutes of deliberation and then the title was changed.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The tags you need to look at are on the engine valve cover and the transmission itself. The tag inside the bus is not so informative!
Ah, AT542 it is
Old 03-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
Bus Geek

So how much did she weigh?
Old 03-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
So how much did she weigh?

Questions for you, how big is your gas tank and what MPGs are you seeing? Right now I don't have a working fuel gauge.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:

Questions for you, how big is your gas tank and what MPGs are you seeing? Right now I don't have a working fuel gauge.
My gauge is inop as well. Best we can figure we're getting 12mpg at least.
I've got the same engine, similar sized bus. 4.10 rear axle with 10R's.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #17
Bus Geek

I believe it is 25 gallons, and I get around 8 combined with dual ac and occasionally running them without driving.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Well, ran out of gas on I-10 this morning, have a jerry can, but haven't been able to crank after adding a few gallons.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Ouch! Running a diesel dry is a whole different matter than a gasser. You will have to re-prime the system. Not sure about the 444;s but Cummins have a manual primer mounted on the side of the engine. maybe someone her is familiar with the process on your engine.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Ouch! Running a diesel dry is a whole different matter than a gasser. You will have to re-prime the system. Not sure about the 444;s but Cummins have a manual primer mounted on the side of the engine. maybe someone her is familiar with the process on your engine.
Yup... signed up for Good Sam, trying to get someone out to prime it