Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas International
Engine: DT 360 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Victoria

This is awesome! I too have purchased a bus for use at college, and operate under the impression that I can completely convert it super cheap and super fast and super nice. I'm finding that it's taking me a quite awhile since I'm not sure what I want to do to the interior yet.

For a roof raise, it would've been best to of done it already. Having 6'4" isn't bad at all though. Mine only has 6' of headroom, and since I'm 6' and plan to put in the same floor that "Experience" has, I'm forced to raise it. For your floor, especially with an old bus, you really should rip it out and replace it. Personally, I thought that Experience's method of insulating would cut down the road noise as well as control the tempature. It's also good to rip out the old floor to repair rust damage. I've heard of people falling through the floor of their bus before, it's best to keep them from rusting through.

I wanted to comment on your insurance. Do some research and see what RVer's who have gotten in accidents are saying about the provider you're looking at.

For the battery. I had a problem with mine when I first got my bus as well, except mine was fine until I got it home. Luckily there was a school bus mechanic at my church the exact moment I needed him. He showed me that you have to fill the battery with water (stating that you can never put too much water in it), which was something I had never heard of doing before. He also told me that a battery would only last 2-3 years, which I was sad to hear. I like the idea of that trickle charger meantioned a few posts back... anyways, I eventually discovered my problem was that the security sensor on the back door was acting up, thus preventing the bus from working. So yeah, I would look to see if your battery is maintained (if it's swelling, then very careffully get rid of it) and filled with water, and try to find out how old it is.

Something nobody has ever suggested (to my knowledge) is that when you do get the answer you want from the DMV, or police, get it in writing, complete with that persons contact information and signature. Do it in a friendly way, "just so we're clear on what the requirements are, would you mind writing them down for me? And can you put your name and contact information there so I can get ahold of you if I run into any complications?"

I'm not sure what you're doing trying to put a bathtub on your bus . Good Lord. If you plan to have a hose hooked up then I could understand, but do you know how much water you need to fill a tub? You're talking about some really huge water tanks if you start getting into that business.

Just something to point out, there are three kinds of costs with buses that I've noticed thus far. There are those major items (like ovens and refrigerators) that cost a lot, there are unexpected costs (you should always have money set aside for a tow, or if something breaks, such as a caliper or a battery or a tire or something) which throws a monkeywrench into the works, and then there are all the little costs. You go purchase some nails, then some bolts, then some thread sealant tape, some bubblegum, a case of soda, some paint, various little tools, various little items, etc. I believe the term used on this site is "nickle and dime's me to death." Just be very careful about all those little costs, they add up fast. You'd be surprised.

It's really hard to build a bus fast, because it takes a while for people to respond to your questions. I'd also like to know if anyone has put household appliances on the rigs and how that's worked out. I read that full size stoves work great, but refrigerators don't. It was somthing about them needing to be completely level or they'ed turn into heat boxes. I'm curious to hear what anyone might have to say on the subject.

Good luck. I'm planning on putting a ceramic shop on my bus, and I'm gonna get it done by the end of the month! I still haven't gotten all the seats out, so I'll race you!

Joshua D. Harris
Business Management Major
Gypsy_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Gypsy kid said
Quote:
I'd also like to know if anyone has put household appliances on the rigs and how that's worked out. I read that full size stoves work great, but refrigerators don't.
They make RV appliances for good reason, not just for kicks. Whether it be size, or operation I don't think I would be too quick to stick regular appliances in.
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Yesterday we finished laying the subfloor, and then some other work came up. We are supposed to frame the exterior walls today, but being easter, I don't know. More than likely we'll just end up eating all day. Gotta love the United States, a big meal for every occasion .

I will soon post pics of the subfloor and a few other things. As for the appliances, my grandpa has many stoves left for his rentals, and he said I could have the 20" gas range when he finds it. This will need to be converted to propane, but it's brand new and free (they outlawed use of them in rental apartments here, another whacked out law), so I guess that offsets the cost. I like the idea of having all the comforts of home, as one day I may be living on board Victoria.

At any rate, we've been making great progress, although admittedly my uncle has been doing most of the work; he is after all, the expert on carpentry.

Life is good, and Happy Easter everyone!

PS: Why does the easter bunny carry eggs? Rabbits don't lay eggs...
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
nickverge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickverge
PS: Why does the easter bunny carry eggs? Rabbits don't lay eggs...
Here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny
zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Wow...I learned something today. Well then...are there emergency exits on a prison bus?
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 04-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #46
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

I am completly stoked for you! I have the same bus almost exactly. Let me know if I can shed insight into your dream. The skoolie adventure begins!
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

We took a day off today and I drove with my grandpa to pick up his new Infiniti FX35. He has until now got a new Navigator every year or two, and we both own Ford (stock), but I drove back the Infiniti and there is a total difference in quality that made the Navigator look like a dumpster on wheels . It also reminded me I need to get back up cameras for the bus. Have any of you installed back up cameras? Was it worth it to you?
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

I posted this question in another topic, but in case you didn't see that one, does anyone have experience with this particular model of inverter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VECTOR-3000-600 ... 1|294%3A50

I am thinking of ordering one.
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I have no experience with that particular model, but I've owned several Vector inverters over the years and I can tell you I've been satisfied with all of them. The ones in the bus now have gotten louder (the fans I mean), but they still work great and I don't think you're going to beat the price watt-for-watt. Just be careful with that setup. 3000 watts means 250 amps of draw or approximately what the starter motor on a small block Chevy will draw on a 0 degree day. I wouldn't be surprised if that inverter is capable of drawing twice what your alternator is capable of putting out. Get yourself some BIG cables.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Ok...finally some pics:

Any idea which transmission this is?

Good Rotor

Bad Rotor

Welcome Home

Looking Back, we've covered everything but the wheel wells, which we will build platforms for the bathroom around.

Looking Forward, it's amazing how "un"square this bus is, but we'll make it work.

I decided to leave this rear heater in, and build the bed over it. It works, so why mess with success?

Those wheel humps are a challenge.

Whoever engineered this should be shot...better yet...they should be required to sit in it for the rest of their life.

Does the cord indicate that the mirror is heated? I saw no control for a mirror heater on the switches.

I am hoping to upholster this dashboard and make it look comfortable

This looks like a job for...."Rustoleum-man"!!!!!

Rustoleum-Man really has his work cut out for him.

A LITTLE NOSTALGIA:

Well thank you all for checking out this post, and I will keep you all updated on progress. Oh by the way, this is the tub I plan on putting in, gotta love craigslist:

1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

http://picasaweb.google.com/aleanis/Bus1#

Is the link to my web album containing the pictures I uploaded earlier. I feel bad, but I am considering using the bus to haul stuff around, as I have an idea for an ongoing garage sale. Perhaps I could finish off the front of the bus, and temporarily use the back bedroom for storage space.

I am thinking I could offer delivery of large items, and pick up many things at a time that are out of town instead of having to make a bunch of trips. I could just use an air mattress for a while as a bed while traveling.

At any rate, progress will continue on Victoria.
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Wow...so I see how people get sidetracked from their projects. I started a business and had finals for all of my classes, with most of that uproar out of the way, there is time left for Victoria.
A friend of mine replaced all the carpet in her house and gave me a remnant (including padding) big enough for the living room. With some help from my lovely girlfriend, we got the new carpet laid down and some furniture temporarily placed. We even put an air conditioner in the window as a temporary means of not baking to death while in the bus. I positioned the $20 (garage sale) jetted tub where I plan on putting it, and cleared out some of the stuff from using the bus as a storage unit for the business.
Now the living room "spot" actually looks remotely like a living room. It was very comfortable just to sit in it. It will be that much more comfortable to be overlooking the mountains or the ocean instead of just the garage and house, .
My girlfriend found me a charger for my camera, so I will be taking many more pictures as time progresses. Victoria should be done relatively quickly now that I have time an energy to dedicate to her.
Sorry for going so long without updates, and thank you all for reading and for your ideas. I will keep you posted!
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Has anyone ever thought of using Rubbermaid tubs for water tanks? Would there be any drawbacks to this? (It seems like a much cheaper alternative)
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 05-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Each tub you use would have to have a frame to hold it in shape or the water would bulge out the sides. And, Rubbermade tubs arnt water tight...

I dont think they are made of a plastic that is considered usable for water storage.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #55
Bus Nut

someone here used tubs for grey water, search the gallery and conversion sections.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #56
Bus Nut

I got an old 55 gallon food grade, plastic drum for my bus for around $10 I think.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Wow...so I fired up Victoria yesterday and drove her forward and back a few times just to keep things moving and to let her know I haven't forgotten about her. I decided to back the bus up a few feet to free up some room in the driveway. I didn't realize the effect so much weight sitting in place for a while would have on an old asphalt driveway. Nonetheless, it got me very excited for a road trip, which got me excited to do some more work on Victoria. Now if only I could find somewhere else to store everything that Victoria stores. On 0.12 acres I have 2 SUVs, a pickup truck, a car, an extremely large utility trailer, and a 2 bedroom house. There isn't much room left after that. I don't want to pay for a storage unit and in turn have to travel across town to access stuff, but somethings gotta give.

So since the rubbermaid tote water tank idea won't work, does anyone have any links to or ideas for cheap water storage tanks? Where did you find the "food grade" bins?

Also-

My fuel gauge is broken, it only displays 1/3 of a tank, from the time I got it, to when I filled it up, and now. I don't want to run out of fuel, and I don't know what my mpg is like because I've only filled it once. How can I fix the fuel gauge or replace it, or will it be more complicated than that?

Thanks everyone!
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #58
Bus Nut

you cant get watertanks much cheaper then this http://cgi.ebay.ca/21-GALLON-Fresh-W...3A1%7C294%3A30
unless you go and salvage one in an old camper.
Another thing i've seen used for waterstorage is 8" or 10" sewerpipe (just because its called sewer does not mean its dirty ) Easy to install and you can find everything you need at your local hardware store.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #59
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Something else you can do for potable water tanks is look at your local army surplus store for old 55 gallon barrels. If they are food grade (and don't smell like pickles), then you're good to go. Just add a liner and build a nice rack inside your bus for freeze protection, and you're good to go!

You can find liners here:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=25041

And if you have some money to spend you can get a barrel here too:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...name=25&Page=1

Good luck!
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

The tanks on ebay appear nice, until you factor in the almost $80 shipping charge. The US Plastic site looks good, do they charge for shipping? I saw a leaking truck camper on cl for $125 here in town, but I would have nowhere to put it if I got one, not to mention I can't imagine the tanks being anywhere near large enough, and they want extra for the fridge (although I would still prefer a residential fridge). However it does have a toilet (I assume), and I know it has a working stove and furnace, and probably water heater, which would be worth the 125. I just wish I knew where to put it, the pickup truck doesn't run, so it would be a little hard to drive it to pick it up. Wow...what a rant, anywho, I'm yet again at a loss.
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike