Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #1

What size bus/mobile massage

I've finally decided to start seriously looking at a bus to do a skoolie conversion in 2020. I really want a short bus, 5-6 windows or something. Definitely not more than 28' long. My plan was to have my home base where I work every two weeks as a massage therapist (which I've been doing full time for 6 years) and then take two weeks off traveling and pursuing other things (writing, etc). But recently I thought maybe I could do mobile massage and bring the spa to the client; still work part time at home base as needed, but having mobile office space would allow greater freedom of travel if I decide to go to the western half of the US (I am based in East TN). The only problem is that I would need a longer bus so I could put a treatment room in the back. And I don't really know if the sacrifice in upsizing is worth it. I can only imagine a large bus being more difficult to handle and find parking for (especially in East TN where we have so many hills and sometimes it's hard to find flat space). Also the office space would mean a sacrifice of some storage since I planned to have my bed at the back of the bus with a mini "garage" underneath.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and feedback. Thanks! =)

Edit: I meant to post this in the general area, sorry!

JujuJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

I'd be careful about where you offered your services as a freelancer, given most state regulations about massage licensing. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I would think a bus with a handicap door in the rear passenger side would make for a great massage space in the rear. you could have a garage underneath with storage spaces or even wall off the back of the bus for a short, full height, garage. so from rear end - garage, massage space (access via disability door), bedroom etc...
BetterWayLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I'd be careful about where you offered your services as a freelancer, given most state regulations about massage licensing. . .
Yeah, for sure! I take that pretty seriously, I really value my career and love the work I do. I'm not sure what I would do about that. I've considered keeping a license in 3 or 4 states for some versatility. But also some of it has to do with wording and I'd have to be careful about the terms I use in other states. But wherever I'm at I'd definitely read the laws and regulations first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterWayLiving View Post
I would think a bus with a handicap door in the rear passenger side would make for a great massage space in the rear. you could have a garage underneath with storage spaces or even wall off the back of the bus for a short, full height, garage. so from rear end - garage, massage space (access via disability door), bedroom etc...
I hadn't thought about this! That's a pretty great idea, using the handicap door and then a wall in the back so I still have a garage space. I wonder if I could reasonably fit all of that in 28' or less though? I'm really hesitant about a bus longer than that, but I really would like to have the option of taking my work around with me.

The idea of a wall in the back also made me think of another idea - maybe a Murphy style bed? The massage table and stuff could be in the garage and I can just fold the bed up when I need that square footage as office space?

I also need to consider laundry. The sheets (both clean and dirty) will definitely take up some space until I make it to a laundromat.
JujuJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote