Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2009
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
Which side black tank discharge

Good Evening All:

I have a mini skoolie and would prefer to hang the black tank discharge on the passenger side aft where I'm going to put my toilet. Is this acceptable? Most of the pics I see have it on the drivers side.

Thank you in advance,

Don

Hiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
It is, usually, on the driver's side since most pull through dump stations have the hole on the driver's side. But, I've seen curbside dump stations where you can pull up in either direction.

But...have you considered using a macerator pump? That's all I'll use now, because you can discharge through a hose...even a standard garden hose...and it's easy to pull to either side of the vehicle. I've even pumped through 120 feet of hose with no issues, so you can pump into a septic/sewer cleanout or even into a toilet inside the house. We set ours up with a freshwater connection so that after I close the tank dump valve I run a bit of clear through. Although I'd never use that hose for anything else, it comes away dripping clear water and it doesn't stink. I'll never go back to the poop slinky again...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:53 PM   #3
Almost There

Thank you, I was hoping to hear the drive thru choice. As for the macerator pump, yes, I've been thinking of that. I'm retired from the marine industry and we had macerator/air pumps on some of our vessels.

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2021, 08:00 AM   #4
Almost There

What brand macerator are you using? I found one on Amazon that fits on the discharge outlet.

Thanks again
Old 07-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiyu View Post
What brand macerator are you using? I found one on Amazon that fits on the discharge outlet.

Thanks again
I'm a fan of the Seaflo pumps. We currently have two of them, but have installed several without issue. On our MCI we have one that's connected to the combined black/gray tank on a 1 1/2 inch outlet. We also have one of the models that connects to an existing typical black tank outlet, which we use for servicing trailers which already had the usual black tank installation.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I'll echo RT's comment. I used a cheapo unbranded macerator installed on the normal black tank outlet with a slice valve just before the macerator. That way should, heaven forbid, the macerator fail I'd be able to replace it without a s#@t bath. I'm careful not to run the macerator dry (they heat up) and to limit the amount of TP that goes through the thing. Ten years now and so far so good.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
As Ross and Jack have said, you can put your tanks anywhere you want. The macerators are the ticket. I have a Macerator built in to the toilet(marine) so the waste is pre liquified before lumping up in the tank and black and grey tanks for driver side picking up shower, vanity and toilet and an additional grey tank on passenger side for the galley. An extra pump on the passenger side tank to transfer to the dump valve station. Multiple tanks also allows you to fit better and better balance weight.
Good luck
Cheers
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:39 PM   #8
Almost There

Great Feedback

Thank you all so much, macerator it's going to be!
Old 08-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

On my second build, I gave up on the black tank altogether... I use a composting toilet. Gray water isn't much of an issue... my sink and shower drain into a 30-gallon tank with a remote release valve, because in some dispersed camping areas it can be simply drained to the ground. It does have a garden hose attachment as well. Never had to use it, never got the tank more than 1/3 full. The tank is inside, under an elevated floor made possible by a roof raise, so nothing freezes. I had too many years of stinky slinky dumps, and even the macerator idea, while good, did not appeal.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:16 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
]edited for brevity]
...a macerator pump? That's all I'll use now, because you can discharge through a hose...even a standard garden hose...and it's easy to pull to either side of the vehicle. I've even pumped through 120 feet of hose with no issues, so you can pump into a septic/sewer cleanout or even into a toilet inside the house. We set ours up with a freshwater connection so that after I close the tank dump valve I run a bit of clear through. Although I'd never use that hose for anything else, it comes away dripping clear water and it doesn't stink. I'll never go back to the poop slinky again...
Seconded.
One of our live-aboard conversions was a 1984 Peterbilt with a seven-foot condo.
Rigged for a semi-operator to rarely need to stop -- turning wheels are earning wheels -- the toilet flushed into a holding-tank for the sink, shower, and evacuation combined.
Efficient?
Yes, but...
The macerator blended everything into a watery slurry.
While traveling our scenic by-ways, a driver-operated switch on the dash powered the macerator, simultaneously pumping out the holding-tank contents.
On to the pavement.
I thought that was a particularly bad idea.
I grew-up on a farm, and battled gophers with a passion.
On our '84, I modified that straight-shot outlet with a garden-hose adapter.
Are you seeing where this's going...
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote