Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
Skoolie

Wow, found bus/made bid/crossing fingers

This is the basic info on this ebay listed bus. I know I said I wasn't going to go for ebay but as its located only in Idaho, I think I can manage that. Also I return to my original engine choice of diesel. This happens to be a turbo-charged (whatever that means for real) engine. Sent a note to the seller on a couple of things now I wish I had added a question about the tires. Gets about 6.8mpg and has mileage of 171933. That's quite a bit but again, its a retired school bus. They also have all the previous mechanics records which is quite nice. One reason I chose this bus (one of three listed) is that it does have a couple of understorage spots that I think will be nice as measurements for water tanks, etc.

1991 IH 1800, DTA 360 IH diesel engine</H1>

10,000lb front axle, 17,500lb rear axle 4.78 ratio

Allison AT-545 4speed Auto Transmission.

65 gal fuel tank

900 X 20 radial tires, traction recaps at rear

Bendix Hydromax 11 split brake system, 4 wheel hydrolic disc brakes.

65 Passenger Conventional, 6 Cylinder Inline Diesel Turbo Charged

10 Hole Bud Wheel

Soooooooooo, not too bad eh?

pg

----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Hi-

Is this your intended target?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...521203210&rd=1

(Sorry, hopefully I haven't started a bidding war! )

It's a nice-looking rig! Do you plan to drive it home? If so, make sure the tires are in good shape. Try to get them to change the fluids and get her ready for the drive. Also bear in mind that buses tend to be geared low - for city/suburb, stop-n-go driving, and not for highways. My bus (1993 with a DT360) ran about 54mph on the highway when I drove it home from Milwaukee. Just so you can prepare yourself for being the slowest vehicle on the interstate! If you are climbing a grade and your speed gets down there, turn on your 4-way flashers -- not the kid-offloading lights but the standard hazard flashers operable from the steering column. It will give the truckers (and others, should they be paying attention) a chance to change lanes to get around you. This is especially imporant after dark.

The IHC DT360 engine is highly regarded; at that mileage, with correct service intervals - you shouldn't worry about wearing it out.

Best of luck. If I didn't already have a bus I'd be looking seriously at these (the seller has a few others of similar specs & vintage).

Sean
Old 01-21-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Skoolie

grin!

Can't hide anything around here Yeppers that's her.

I figured someone would look but again as there are two other buses of basically the same like just a few years older, I'm not worried.

You are right though, Sean, I need to ask about those tires though I didn't consider having them change fluids or anything. I didn't bother or think about that since they are selling it as-is. Doesn't that usually mean they will do no more to it than sign the title over and toss the keys to me?

Also, I've heard about the "geared down" people have spoken about. What is that exactly? I have a place that can work on buses so maybe that's something they can undo.

Is Idaho consider one of the "rust" belts? Gods I have so many questions about transporting & such! Are there old posts on that?

pg
both excited and nervous!
----------------
Old 01-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Skoolie

Ohhhhhhh...

I have my fingers crossed dontcha know.

I hope to get there early enough so I can have it at least tuned up locally or something before I hit the road. Maybe they'll go with me if I pay for the tune up.

Anyone done that?

pg
----------------
Old 01-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
Bus Geek

The DT 360 is an excellent engine, and it's really cheap to work on if/when it does fail.

You don't need to change all the fluids before you drive, that would be really expensive to have a shop do for you, and it's too cold out to be doing that sort of thing this time of year!....An oil change wouldn't hurt. Be prepared to put 5 gallons or so of oil in the crankcase if you do change it. My 6.6 liter ford diesel takes 22 quarts. I'd just check everything else: brake fluid, belt tension, coolant level ect prior to taking the trip. How far are you driving?

As far as tires....As long as the steer tires are in good shape, i wouldn't worry too much about the rears for the drive home. Not having a spare tire will be a bit of a drag however. Most big truck tire shops sell used tires for about 80 dollars or so. I'm not sure how much a used rim might cost. You can drive a really long ways on skoolie tires before they go flat.....(traction in the snow with worn out tires is a completely different ballgame.) You can usually drive on a flat rear tire until you get to a tire shop. I drove more than 100 miles on a flat rear duel this past summer.

I would suggest you purchase good sam roadside assistance prior to buying the bus. If need be, They'll tow you free of charge to the nearest appropriate facality to work on your vehicle. It's aobut 100 bucks per year.

In the unlikely event your bus does break down, make sure you bring warm clothes and a sleeping bag. A little heater might not hurt either.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
Skoolie

[quote="lapeer20m"]The DT 360 is an excellent engine, and it's really cheap to work on if/when it does fail.

You don't need to change all the fluids before you drive, that would be really expensive to have a shop do for you, and it's too cold out to be doing that sort of thing this time of year!....An oil change wouldn't hurt. Be prepared to put 5 gallons or so of oil in the crankcase if you do change it. My 6.6 liter ford diesel takes 22 quarts. I'd just check everything else: brake fluid, belt tension, coolant level ect prior to taking the trip. How far are you driving?[quote]

Lets see: according to yahscrewed!maps its about 850 miles from there to cherry valley. Now what I need to do (and am doing now since a sinus infection/broncitis has me stuck at home) is call calif DMV to get the ins and out of transfering a out of state veh and how to have it reregistered.

Should be fun
----------------