Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
actually not. senseless.. however if someone says check your PC.. then ruin the stuff on your local PC and if the errors still occur then start tracking down the origins.. ie.. pull a source.. run a web debugger and actually help them fix it.. just saying "oh my PC is clean" because ionbe virus scanner thinks so doenst mean there isnt malware on the affected browser...
Ah, CK, I always look forward to your input here. You are one of the most knowledgeable folks here, esp. on technical topics. I also get a kick out of some of your typing-as-fast-as-I-can-and-damn-the-proofreading typos. "if someone says check your PC then ruin the stuff on your local PC" is great advice!

Just jerkin' your chain; no malice intended.

cd \
sudo rm -rf *

dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Well it's on my phone and the phone is clean...so...
Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartbus View Post
Actually cell phones are quite dirty! How dirty is your phone? - Read Health Related Blogs, Articles & News on Diseases & Conditions at TheHealthSite.com
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I *KNOW* hotel phones are dirty... the front desk ones worse than the rooms... we get them in for service.. and NASTY!!! inside especially..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartbus View Post
Same here. Don't use anything else. And yes phones are filthy.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #26
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
If you get this popup/malware error-

To help isolate the susceptible Android devices, please list Android version and browser used.

Am running Nougat 7.1.1 w Chrome and have not been able to replicate.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Running Windows Millennium on a Packard Bell 386DX and using Internet Explorer 3-

No issues here.

What flavor of Android y'all running?
Android 5.1.1 on a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime, Bell Canada network. Using Tapatalk app, no advertising

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

EDIT...phones are dirty but I don't lick mine ROFL
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i had a problem with the site a while back and i posted too.

every time i came to the home page, some obnoxious ad would auto play at full volume. it was quite distressing.

Janet said to clear my cache/cookies and that action solved the problem.

good luck!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

I had a problem with my Samsung tablet, only on this site. Installed 360 security 360 ran the program and no more problem. Now if I just had bus. ...........
GWinKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up

I've experienced this "malvertising" twice while the forum was open (using Windows 10, Chrome with ABP). I don't recall the details, unfortunately. Too concerned with shutting the browser down without accidentally clicking something on the ad and triggering some software install, etc. I also had other sites open, so there's no way to be certain of the source.

I would agree that IF it is coming through this forum, it would most likely be through the advertising. Google search for advertising malware news and you'll find several instances of major ad networks being compromised over the last year or two. It would fit the intermittent nature of the reports, the lack of evidence of any malware in the forum itself, and the inability to reliably replicate the issue. Pretty tough to fight this type of problem from the site side I imagine. The ads rotate and the malicious code may be capable of detecting certain system settings or hypothetically even identifying individual systems to avoid repeat occurrences. Oh for the internet of my youth when the malware was written by trolls instead of organized criminals!

Edit: to the best of my recollection, this was before I signed up for the site, so maybe related to the increased ads shown to guests.

Edit2: Ran SpyBotSD which found nothing of consequence, and MalwarebytesAM which found one likely threat. If the date on the folders where it resided is accurate, it was installed before I bought the computer (used). This "softup.exe" appears to be an adware trojan which is scheduled to run periodically to serve up ads. No way to know if that's what was at fault, but certainly a possibility, and I'm glad to have eliminated it from my system.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  
INanMT-Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:43 AM   #31
Skoolie

I’m having this problem also. Only on this site and only if I’m logged in. I’m using a month old iPad Pro. It’s weird that if I’m not logged in it doesn’t happen.

Its an ad from google telling me I won a phone.

Bob
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Same here, but I just deal with it. It's annoying, because someone's it will happen multiple times while reading through 1 page on a thread. I get pop ups about winning a phone and fake ads about phone being infected (usually looks like a Google page), it's clean. I can't back out of the page, browser won't allow it, so I close the window and start over

Edit: galaxy s7 active running Android 7.0
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's interesting. My popup blocker is working to block those adds, but I still have to close my browser to get back to where I can read threads again.

I find it interesting that hackers basically want a free life by sponging off of other people, but to do that they have to basically become experts in modern tech. With the same education they could actually earn money legitimately.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
I have received those fake pop ups as well, but NEVER while on this site. Usually only get those if reading RT or something a lil sketchy anyways.
Doug
Old 01-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #35
Bus Nut

It's not a popup though. Cell phone only, the browser completely redirects to the ad, not in a new window. And it wont allow me to just hit back page (can click the button, just refreshes screen, won't go back to skoolie.net), so have to close that tab and open new page

Edit:: I don't think the blame is on skoolie.net as I never once have an issue on my pc. Maybe just something weird when viewing on some mobile browsers, I don't know.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

I think this stuff rides in on the coattails of advertising. How well does an adblocker work on this site, and has anyone who has one installed noticed the behavior?

I don't view this site on my phone, either as a webpage or via Tapatalk. As it happens I use Windows at work and Ubuntu at home. I'm familiar with what's being discussed here, but I've only ever seen it on my phone.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I think this stuff rides in on the coattails of advertising. How well does an adblocker work on this site, and has anyone who has one installed noticed the behavior?

I don't view this site on my phone, either as a webpage or via Tapatalk. As it happens I use Windows at work and Ubuntu at home. I'm familiar with what's being discussed here, but I've only ever seen it on my phone.
i think it is just advertisements. looking over last few times it happened, ive seen amazon adds, as well as youve won a prize type stuff, not just virus warnings. weird that it wont let you hit back and go back to skoolie.net though, at least on my phone.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Everything is flowing smoothly here. I use Firefox or Chrome and run Adblock Plus on both. I see no pop ups. I'm also on a Linux laptop that I put together.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Everything is flowing smoothly here. I use Firefox or Chrome and run Adblock Plus on both. I see no pop ups. I'm also on a Linux laptop that I put together.
the issue seems to only happen while viewing on a mobile device. never once had an issue on my PC, with no ad blockers
Old 01-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am seeing the same "hijack" when using Chrome on my Android.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote