Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

BOOKS on conversion and bus maintenance

Hi all, I am new to the Forum. looking to create a Skoolie for my family. I am a little nervous. Is there a list of books on both conversion and mechanical/body restoration and maintenance. I searched but could not see anything. I will be on a steep learning curve and don even know what tools I might need.
However I am happy to dive in. Is there some kind of uber step by step guide?
Thanks for your suggestions
Steve

Winterdance67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: BOOKS on conversion and bus maintenance

Welcome,
come on in and sit a spell

there are some books out there, most are out of print etc.

You have the best resource available free right here

Look thru some build threads

everyone does it different

Do you work with wood, metal? what can you do?

make a list and then make a list of what you want to do in the bus

example:

We wanted to do 3 things,

1)needed a place to eat we love food so that was the first priority (kitchen, dining room)
2)needed a place to sleep I tend to stay up with the campfire so We did two beds
3)needed a place to use the facilities(so far this is low on list due to the places we stay) there is always a toilet, shower tent and solar shower bags on board just in case

I can do basic wood work and I can work with metal so I used those to build ours

Good luck and read, read and read
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

Thanks...I will sit a while. that is good advice
Winterdance67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

You might want to post this question in conversions or maintanence. You might get more feedback.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

There are some. Dave Galley has some written from a highcoach perspective. Means most of his solutions are expensive. Then ther's the Converting on a Shoestring.

I need to add links. Hsrd to do on the tablet. I will edit this post on the desktop to include links...

Ahhh. A keyboard makes a big difference. I think I need to get one for the tablet!

First and foremost READ THE POOP SHEETS! Copy the whole mess, even the parts that you think you don't need, onto a CD or flash drive or what ever storage method you prefer. You may want to print out the whole thing (requires LOTS of paper... and Yes I did... all of it... easier to make notes). The original website is dead and gone. It will help you to plan how you will use your conversion, what you need and what to expect.

BNO Articles of Interest written from the perspective of a highway coach conversion. I suggest that you read all of them. (click on the little red button on the left hand side of the page)

Dave Galey's Books. I would suggest the Bus Converters Bible. Just ignore the slide out section where he suggests using cabinet drawer slides stacked. As a former cabinet builder/installer.... that won't work. We used to have the Bible and The Joys of Busing.

Coach Conversion Central Articles Lots of helpful info. Fred Hobe has several articles here. He is a pro coach converter in FL.

CCC's Links page is something you should check out as well. Some links are dead. You know how it is with the internet.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
There are some. Dave Galley has some written from a highcoach perspective. Means most of his solutions are expensive. Then ther's the Converting on a Shoestring.

I need to add links. Hsrd to do on the tablet. I will edit this post on the desktop to include links...

Ahhh. A keyboard makes a big difference. I think I need to get one for the tablet!

First and foremost READ THE POOP SHEETS! Copy the whole mess, even the parts that you think you don't need, onto a CD or flash drive or what ever storage method you prefer. You may want to print out the whole thing (requires LOTS of paper... and Yes I did... all of it... easier to make notes). The original website is dead and gone. It will help you to plan how you will use your conversion, what you need and what to expect.

BNO Articles of Interest written from the perspective of a highway coach conversion. I suggest that you read all of them. (click on the little red button on the left hand side of the page)

Dave Galey's Books. I would suggest the Bus Converters Bible. Just ignore the slide out section where he suggests using cabinet drawer slides stacked. As a former cabinet builder/installer.... that won't work. We used to have the Bible and The Joys of Busing.

Coach Conversion Central Articles Lots of helpful info. Fred Hobe has several articles here. He is a pro coach converter in FL.

CCC's Links page is something you should check out as well. Some links are dead. You know how it is with the internet.

sweet!
thanks
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote