Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #1

Buying a out-state bus

I just like to know how to get temp plates where to start. I'm located in pa but the buses I'm finding is in far new jersey or new York... Anyone bought a out of state bus how did you get plates to get it home. Please help

Thegreywolfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
First, stay away from those rust-bucket buses from Jersy and NY.

Most states will issue "temporary" travel permits. Some may only be good for a day. I got my bus in AZ (no rust). They gave me a 3-month travel permit, good all around the country, with just a VIN inspection, for $15.

you will likely need a VIN inspection, and who knows what else inspected in another state.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:12 PM   #3

Thanks I'm trying to find clean as possible but not have to travel to far....I don't mind a local trip but I'm skeptical about driving a un known used vehicle far.... Also diesel or gas?
Old 03-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreywolfamily View Post
Thanks I'm trying to find clean as possible but not have to travel to far....I don't mind a local trip but I'm skeptical about driving a un known used vehicle far.... Also diesel or gas?
It really depends on what you want. Which, perusing the threads linked in my sig could help you in determining that.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:23 PM   #5

Trying to find it I'm brand new to this site.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:29 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Trying to find it I'm brand new to this site.
Look in my signature in my posts, right below them... Suggested reading (4 links)
.Click image for larger version

Name:	Skoolie Temp 4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	54857
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I think every bus we've bought has been from out of state...some involving 1200-1400 mile trips home...and I bought an ambulance from PA and drove it back to AZ. If you're going to working on your own bus, it's a great shakedown opportunity. Just make sure you have a bit of financial cushion to take care of issues you might find. If they crop up on the trip home, they were going to crop up anyway...and it's nice to know your bus is sound and capable of travel.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:59 PM   #8

Yes I will be doing my own repairs...
Old 03-08-2021, 06:20 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I just like to know how to get temp plates where to start. I'm located in pa but the buses I'm finding is in far new jersey or new York... Anyone bought a out of state bus how did you get plates to get it home. Please help
I live in Philly and bought my bus on eBay, partly because the seller was offering to have the bus driven down to me (for a very reasonable $300). It is a New York bus, having spent most of its life on the shores of Lake Erie near Buffalo. Needless to say, you should look far away for your bus, unless you're looking for something to practice welding and fabrication on (which I later convinced myself was the reason I bought my bus). Check out my build thread if you want to see what owning a rusty bus entails.

I would also be hesitant about having a bus delivered, unless it was CHEESE_WAGON or a human being of similar quality doing the delivery. My seller hired a local driver for the delivery and when he drove it down from Syracuse he told me that he had gone the entire five hours on cruise control at 67 mph. This plus the spoiler on the back made me think I had a real speed demon on my hands, but I later learned that with a 6.17 rear gearing (which is bad), 67 mph is near redline (BTW you probably want something with a numerically lower rear ratio, something in the 4s or high 3s - but this ratio is pretty much never given in bus listings).
Old 04-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Michael Corbier
Chassis: GMC Savana 3500
Engine: 6.5 Diesel
I discovered that a business can apply for a state permit to drive un-registered vehicles, rather than tow or transport them. No plates needed, just the paperwork. Ask local movers if they have this permit.
Corbi is offline   Reply With Quote