Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2024, 04:47 PM   #1

Buzzing won't stop

Hello everyone I just bought a 2008 Thomas school bus me and my husband opened a few of the emergency exit doors to fit some large items in and closed them back and latched them but the second we started the bus a loud buzzing sound started we made sure all the doors and windows were closed we tried the restart button but nothing is working and it is still buzzing please help I don't know how to stop it

Karliequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:00 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward - Volunteer
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466, Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 8 Window
Did he open a hatch? That one's a little tricky if you're not familiar with it. Push up on bottom of emergency latch while pulling down on lid. It can be closed and look closed but not engage the switch.
Miloshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:03 PM   #3

I will have him try that immediately thank you so much!
Karliequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karliequin View Post
Hello everyone I just bought a 2008 Thomas school bus me and my husband opened a few of the emergency exit doors to fit some large items in and closed them back and latched them but the second we started the bus a loud buzzing sound started we made sure all the doors and windows were closed we tried the restart button but nothing is working and it is still buzzing please help I don't know how to stop it
i had this issue, the buzzing stopped after a few mins BUT my bus also wont start even when i can turn the key theres no sound or anything... my batteries are fine and it started recently many times.
rattus_rattus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 03:11 PM   #5

Look At The Interlock System

Here is a cut and paste of a document I had read if you would like to bypass the system entirely. Not sure if this will be helpful. I have done some trouble shooting and there are a few different interconnected switches.

Bypassing interlock system

1) Well, hopefully all you need to do to get your bus started at least is to ground the powered wire leading to the barrel lock on your side exit door. The interlock is basically a single circuit that needs to be continuous for the bus to start. When either of the barrel locks on the emergency doors is thrown (meaning the door cannot be opened), this breaks the circuit and the bus can't be started.

If you locate the powered wire leading to the barrel lock on the side, you can strip the end and connect it to the bus body with a sheet metal screw. This will complete the circuit and allow your bus to start (the barrel lock will also have a second wire for ground - if you ground that on instead of the powered wire, the bus still won't start). You could also just splice the two wires (powered and ground) together to complete the circuit.

Note: you want to do this with the wire leading to the side door rather than the back door because the side door is the first one in the circuit (with the wires cut the back door barrel lock is not receiving any juice anyway, so grounding the powered wire won't do anything). You said you also cut wires on your doors (plural), and I'm not sure where they are in this circuit (or if they're even part of the starter interlock at all - I don't think they are).

I bypassed my interlock in this way. I want to keep the circuit active because when I complete my conversion, I'm going to wire it up to cabinet doors and stuff that I want to make sure I remember to close whenever I drive (like a cat door I'm going to put on my exit door).

I hope this helps! I have a 2011 Thomas that I will begin interior work shortly. I am searching for more info about the entire electrical system if you have anything you can share.
Scott Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 08:40 PM   #6

If it has air brakes make sure the air supply is full …there is a buzzer for that also
Diesel bus fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 05:27 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Chassis: Bluebird Vision
Engine: Cummins 6.7 ISB Allison 2500
Rated Cap: ADA Lift Bus Lift Removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel bus fun View Post
If it has air brakes make sure the air supply is full …there is a buzzer for that also
She was here June 18th and asked. Obviously got the response she needed so another one of those that doesn't have the courteousy to come back and say that was it, or this is what it was. She'll be back when something else breaks to get an answer, and then won't hear from her again til something else breaks. Gotta loves these useless threads where people ask for help, get it resolved and never come back making the thread pretty much useless to follow or help anyone else out that found the thread by Search.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 07:32 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

We found that every time we made an electrics change to mandatory schoolbus systems,our bus 2001 Intl had to reset itself. Takes 10 minutes or so, then it should start. But the exit alarms were a special treatment. We found the solution on an episode of Gus the Struggle Bus. How to bypass the school bus emergency exit interlock. Paco explains it well and it worked on our Intl. I think his was a Bluebird.
Winter-Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 08:48 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
She was here June 18th and asked. Obviously got the response she needed so another one of those that doesn't have the courteousy to come back and say that was it, or this is what it was. She'll be back when something else breaks to get an answer, and then won't hear from her again til something else breaks. Gotta loves these useless threads where people ask for help, get it resolved and never come back making the thread pretty much useless to follow or help anyone else out that found the thread by Search.
For this very reason, it seems to me, that there are some members who will not respond to first timers that don't take the time to fill out registry or give better information on their vehicle (cuz it may not even be a bus). Not following
through happens a lot.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote