Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
For sale ads from 1 post members.

Hey Everyone,

We see quite a few for sale post from brand new members.

Unfortunately, it seems that most of them post incomplete ads and many never respond to questions an/or fail to post contact info.

Would it be a reasonable thing to limit for sale post to members with a certain number of posts ? (5?)

What do you all think?

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I certainly does keep the riffraff out trying to unload garbage. I think it's a good idea.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Eh, maybe? I could see how members here sorta feel exploited by the hit-and-run ads. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like those ads get much traction anyway and they almost serve as a Public Service Announcement or reality check on the realities of bus conversion. It's almost like people learn what not to pony up for when they read the replies to some of these ads.
Both bad and good aspects of the offerings are commented on and it helps educate people, in a way, as to features (mechanical and interior) are desirable or not.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Eh, maybe? I could see how members here sorta feel exploited by the hit-and-run ads. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like those ads get much traction anyway and they almost serve as a Public Service Announcement or reality check on the realities of bus conversion. It's almost like people learn what not to pony up for when they read the replies to some of these ads.
Both bad and good aspects of the offerings are commented on and it helps educate people, in a way, as to features (mechanical and interior) are desirable or not.
I agree with this also. If it bothers you, ignore it and move on, it's the internet and we have no (little) control.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
Site Team

Just a note here that we are working on a new classifieds page and system. It should be ready for prime time in the next month or two and offer some additional safeguards as well as improved search tools.

There are more and more classifieds being posted (skoolies are cool) and we need better ways to manage and display them.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
Bus Geek

My biggest frustration is the "hit and run" posters who post incomplete ads and never return to answer questions.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
My biggest frustration is the "hit and run" posters who post incomplete ads and never return to answer questions.

I second that. If "you" are really wanting to sell, enough to go post it somewhere other than CraigsList, why the heck do "you" not stick around to answer questions?

Just doesn't make sense to me.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
would be neat to have a real searchable classified system where you use a CMS type form to fill it out.. required fields such as price, year, make, model, engine type, trans type, and contact methods.. as well as perhaps requiring pictures to place a classified..

this is the day and age when EVERYONE on here is using a computer or phone and likely has some type of camera available to them...

heck we had a member a few years ago who carried his laptop onto his bus to post progress shots of his conversion because he didnt have a smart phone...

I have no issue with 1 post classifieds.. after all if they are logging onto here to sell their bus, chances are they arent interested in posting more times and becoming a member of the community.. they are selling and moving on..

maybe a 1 post wonder should be required to post an email address, or other means of contact outside the board for potential buyer to reach them?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Look at it this way: Don't go there if you expect to be offended or if you do go there treat it like a carnival booth--ya pays ya money an ya takes ya chances--no big deal.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
would be neat to have a real searchable classified system where you use a CMS type form to fill it out.. required fields such as price, year, make, model, engine type, trans type, and contact methods.. as well as perhaps requiring pictures to place a classified..

It's coming... we're still working on the 1s and 0s but it's coming along nicely.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Just had a new sale post from a poster with 2 posts. 5 sounds like a good number.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:36 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
If you set a minimum amount of posts for newcomers to be able to post in the classifieds, be prepared for them to make their 5 posts in the form of one and two word responses with no substance, on all of ya'lls build threads.
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Limit of one per day to count. Most of the dorks who want to hawk their junk aren't that patient.

I'd be fine with a 30 day wait. Or a separate area where anyone (non-members) can post anything for sale...for a fee. And have another for "members only" (signed up and 30 days worth of posts).

This is a discussion forum...not the want ads. Take that crap to Crags' List.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Limit of one per day to count. Most of the dorks who want to hawk their junk aren't that patient.

I'd be fine with a 30 day wait. Or a separate area where anyone (non-members) can post anything for sale...for a fee. And have another for "members only" (signed up and 30 days worth of posts).

Yes! THIS^^^
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
I wonder if the forum software will support that function?

I think that's a great idea.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

That's the ticket in my books. They can either wait the 30 days, or pay 5 bucks to post in the classifieds. I don't like the post limit imposed because, like previously said, they'll just post garbage to get there, drop their ad, and then leave.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post
If you set a minimum amount of posts for newcomers to be able to post in the classifieds, be prepared for them to make their 5 posts in the form of one and two word responses with no substance, on all of ya'lls build threads.
On my other sites there is wording in the rules that forbid fluff posting for post count requirement. Mods can still keep you from posting after your post limit if they feel that's what you're doing. At least if they come here and read 5 threads, it might interest them into participating.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I wonder if the forum software will support that function?

I think that's a great idea.

the forium software is customizable, but like anything it takes work to do it.. and this particular forum software can be a real PITA to make changes to and not cause grief for some of the users..

in a way its almost too customizable as it takes some skill to get new things in it and simple to use for the users but efective..

part of the problem with for sale in any forum is the follow-up... even from veteran members.. someone posts a bus for sale and it sells.. they never come back to update that its sold.. other members see it 6 months later and responds.. then more respond because the thread is bumped..

the OP doesnt come back.. because well unless that OP is going to build a new bus,
they are likely no longer interested in Busses or have moved on and no reason to visit the forum any longer...

I havent been back to the Jeep forum once I sold my last Jeep...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Just had another 1 poster run an ad with little info or contact info. I'll at least give this one credit as he did fill out his profile before posting. I think there should be a simple list for posting a bus for sale and it must include contact info, asking price, model engine and tranny (not just Allison), mileage, etc.