Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Internet category?

I've searched the forum and not found anything about Internet. Since i will be working full time from my bus (Indie author and publisher) I will have to have good internet. I'm trying to find all the right components and setup for that. Like the Verizon Jetpack, various antennas, the setup in general, and how much solar I'll need to run it and my computer, monitor, etc. I didn't see a dedicated forum area for this. Did i miss it?

kellijaebaeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:52 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
There are forums dedicated to nomads who have mobile internet setups... I wouldn't limit myself to searching just this forum.

Google is your friend.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I carry a Verizon Jetpack, and AT&T unite Pro, and a Tmobile SIM in a MikroTik LTE router.. granted I dont live in a bus.. I am a road warrior and do all kinds of internet stuff (owner in a couple Internet Telephony companies)..

I carry all 3 because I find certain areas of the country are better than others for each carrier's signal.. I can write them off too since Internet is required for the business..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have recently switched to Verizon's Visible service. As low as $25 a month for unlimited data and talk. I have USB tethered it to a Gl.Inet router. Works great most places. However, I had intended to replace my AT&T hotspot ($35 a month unlimited) with the Visible but have found places that I frequent that it has no service that AT&T does. Overall the Visible service has better coverage. With both of them onboard we get coverage most places that we go.

I have two spots available on my "Party Pay" plan if anyone wants to join us.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I carry a Verizon Jetpack, and AT&T unite Pro, and a Tmobile SIM in a MikroTik LTE router.. granted I dont live in a bus.. I am a road warrior and do all kinds of internet stuff (owner in a couple Internet Telephony companies)..

I carry all 3 because I find certain areas of the country are better than others for each carrier's signal.. I can write them off too since Internet is required for the business..
thanks for your input. I have seen several people who have more than one provider for the reasons you say.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepudo View Post
There are forums dedicated to nomads who have mobile internet setups... I wouldn't limit myself to searching just this forum.

Google is your friend.
I was searching this forum, so that I could find other people who are doing what I'm planning to do.
I am aware of Google, yes. thanks.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have recently switched to Verizon's Visible service. As low as $25 a month for unlimited data and talk. I have USB tethered it to a Gl.Inet router. Works great most places. However, I had intended to replace my AT&T hotspot ($35 a month unlimited) with the Visible but have found places that I frequent that it has no service that AT&T does. Overall the Visible service has better coverage. With both of them onboard we get coverage most places that we go.

Haven't heard of Visible. will check it out, thanks. And yes, it seems many people have two providers. I'm seeing that a lot. thank you for your input.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
I have been using my cell phone with a sure cell extender pretty successfully. I've recently read about obd connectors from T-mobile that offer wifi... I wonder if the tech in that little black box is better than my phone, given staying on the same network.

Ive read as an example Verizons jetpack being better than their cellphone...
Old 01-29-2020, 02:14 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

As I understand it, your rate (and everyone in your party) goes down when another is added. Tell me, what happens when one of your party bows out, leaves the party?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:13 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
As I understand it, your rate (and everyone in your party) goes down when another is added. Tell me, what happens when one of your party bows out, leaves the party?
You add a new person.

There's a subreddit (https://old.reddit.com/r/visiblepartypay ) where you can post your group or join someone else's. There's no reason to limit it to people you know, you aren't tied together in any way.

I'm in a group with 3 people I don't know. Hillary is in a different group with 3 people she doesn't know.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellijaebaeli View Post
Since i will be working full time from my bus (Indie author and publisher) I will have to have good internet.
The most important question that I can think of is "Where??"

Obtaining a good Internet from a campground next to a city is much different than 50 miles off the nearest paved road in the mountain west.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
The most important question that I can think of is "Where??"

Obtaining a good Internet from a campground next to a city is much different than 50 miles off the nearest paved road in the mountain west.

Yes, i understand boondocking is different than being near free wifi at a campground. That's sort of the point. I will be traveling all over, and mostly boondocking, and I'm trying to choose the best set up to do business reliably. Whatever that is. Like, it seems that the Verizon jetpack, and a boosting antenna might be the way to go.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I will be traveling all over, and mostly boondocking, and I'm trying to choose the best set up to do business reliably. Whatever that is. Like, it seems that the Verizon jetpack, and a boosting antenna might be the way to go.
Well, if taken literally, I have some bad news for you. There are some huge expanses of space here in the west where cellular connectivity is non-existent. Verizon has the best coverage in the semi-remote areas out here (west). I have high hopes for StarLink. Until then...

I used a Wilson Sleek (some details here) early on and it worked reasonably well if I wasn't too remote (couple miles off the beaten path). An external antenna helped (some info here) but it is fairly limited.

As I became more adventurous, I had to spend more money on the equipment. I've been able to pull in signal from as far as 16 miles (nearest cell tower) using this weBoost Connect 4G-X system. However; the antenna had to be quite high (30').

This is a semi-permanent install of that weBoost antenna.

Height is key. RF signal is line of site. If you are in a low area (with hills/mountains around) the signal is most likely not getting to you (assuming the towers are miles away). It's also worth having a mobile setup. There were times I would spend a whole day scouting an area in my Jeep with my mobile antenna setup looking for a good boondocking spot WITH Internet.

Things are changing fast in this space so there is probably new equipment (I haven't looked in the last year). However; if you plan to get out in remote areas (in the west) and work, you'll need much more powerful equipment than the norm.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

... and when I say "remote", I don't mean on top of the highest mountain peak but rather places like these...

Old 01-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We've got a Verizon jetpack with a Weboost 4G OTR booster. We've also got a 18' telescoping pole to attach the antenna to. We don't deploy this too often but it's nice to have and sometimes its the difference between internet and not. Like JD, we boondock pretty much exclusively, and have been in the soutwest for a few months now. We mostly go to places that are reported to have service (we use Campendium to find the general area, then scout around). Sometimes we're in areas where the tower is overloaded, or our service gets throttled back, and it's abysmally slow. Sometimes it's lightning fast. We tether to our phones sometimes if the jetpack is slow. Depending on what type of work it is that you do, a setup like this might work for you. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a couple different providers if you've got it in your budget. I know there's routers that take multiple sim cards.

If the signal isn't strong enough for you, you can always move to another spot...that's one of the benefits of bus life!
Old 02-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I've searched the forum and not found anything about Internet. Since i will be working full time from my bus (Indie author and publisher) I will have to have good internet. I'm trying to find all the right components and setup for that. Like the Verizon Jetpack, various antennas, the setup in general, and how much solar I'll need to run it and my computer, monitor, etc. I didn't see a dedicated forum area for this. Did i miss it?

Thanks for pointing this out! There is a new forum section now based on your request Mobile Tech | Phone, Internet & e-Gadgets - School Bus Conversion Resources

BTW - I use a weBoost Drive 4G-X OTR mounted on a (telescoping) pole. it's the best solution I've found to date and marginally acceptable.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Thanks for pointing this out! There is a new forum section now based on your request Mobile Tech | Phone, Internet & e-Gadgets - School Bus Conversion Resources
OK, good to know that this is a new forum section. I was beginning to question my sanity. I know, the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

While we're about it, could I request that alt fuels be merged with veggie oil? Between the two, they don't see enough traffic to be worth it. Just a thought.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post

While we're about it, could I request that alt fuels be merged with veggie oil? Between the two, they don't see enough traffic to be worth it. Just a thought.
Also done - good idea.

Tags
internet