Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #1

Is this too much rust?

Hi all,

We are looking to buy a bus and I wanted to know if this looked like too much rust underneath? They said they can do a treatment for it for an extra $500. It looks perfect on the outside otherwise. And runs very well. Just trying to figure out if this is a good move?

Also, do you think a seven window 2005 bus with 35,000 miles is priced right at $9,900? This purchase is through a bus company that mostly works with schools, not an individual seller.

Thanks so much for the advise!
Attached Thumbnails
0DC2B2DC-7FE6-42DE-96B4-12CD046267CF.jpg  

ChristinaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Eeeekkk!

Just kidding.

I can’t even see rust in that photo.

Look up at the floor pan. Especially around the wheel wells. If you have a screw driver handy, aggressively poke at those spots. Is there rust there? If there is then you’ll need a closer inspection

Don’t pay for a rust treatment.

It’s unlikely that bus has 35,000 miles. More likely 135000.

9,000 is pretty steep.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Also, there are some pretty savvy folks on here that can give you advice about the mechanicals of that bus if you post more detail
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
You'd be well advised to listen to the people here rather than Any salesperson. There are things to check that you would never know about. Ask lots of questions. Proceed with caution, good luck
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
You need pics of the frame rails and crossmembers / floor belly from bumper to bumper, as well as suspension and mounting points critical to holding the axles in and keeping the steering together.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaL View Post
Hi all,

We are looking to buy a bus and I wanted to know if this looked like too much rust underneath? They said they can do a treatment for it for an extra $500. It looks perfect on the outside otherwise. And runs very well. Just trying to figure out if this is a good move?

Also, do you think a seven window 2005 bus with 35,000 miles is priced right at $9,900? This purchase is through a bus company that mostly works with schools, not an individual seller.

Thanks so much for the advise!

That's is just simple surface rust, nothing to be worried about!

If you wanted to do a rust treatment, DIY style, which is very effective and very economical, use a 2 gal spray bottle and some OSPHO.

Don't forget PPP equipment, face shield and gloves at a minimum!

You can do the whole bottom of the bus for about $100 bucks!
$16 bucks for the spray bottle at harbor freight and approx. $27 per gal for the OSPHO at ACE Hardware.

A once a year treatment will go a long, long way!
Attached Thumbnails
2 gal sprayer.jpg   Ospho 1 gal.jpg  
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
That's is just simple surface rust, nothing to be worried about!

If you wanted to do a rust treatment, DIY style, which is very effective and very economical, use a 2 gal spray bottle and some OSPHO.

Don't forget PPP equipment, face shield and gloves at a minimum!

You can do the whole bottom of the bus for about $100 bucks!
$16 bucks for the spray bottle at harbor freight and approx. $27 per gal for the OSPHO at ACE Hardware.

A once a year treatment will go a long, long way!
Having done lots and lots of osphoing on the underside of my bus, I think it's easier (and somewhat less toxic) to buy a bunch of chip brushes and brush the stuff on. Most of my underside was pitted enough that I had to give each spot many sprays before it was thoroughly saturated, and then lots of it ran off onto the ground. A brush usually covers it with one pass and not as much drips off. You also don't have the mist to breathe in, although you still need a respirator and goggles (I managed to spray it in my eyes a couple of times even with using a brush, thanks to my habit of pushing up my goggles to get better visibility and then forgetting to push them back down).

It's sufficiently nasty either way that OP is better off buying a rust-free bus.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
Traveling

Miles are only part of the story. You should find out the engine hours too.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #9
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
What brand, engine, fuel, transmission, and location. If you fill out your information page people will be able to help you easier.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoman View Post
What brand, engine, fuel, transmission, and location. If you fill out your information page people will be able to help you easier.

I don't think OP has purchased yet, but this would be pertinent info. Personally, I would have to see pics of the rails bumper to bumper before I would advise yea or nay, chiefly because the pics supplied aren't all that great.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #11

Rust

Opinion on spending less on the bus purchase price and making some repairs regarding rust or spend a little more with less repairs? about $1k difference in purchase price of two busses.
esteb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #12
Traveling

Depends on how much rust and what you think your time is worth. Time and money spent repairing rust is time and money not spent building your dream. I can tell you, quite a few have found out the hard way that rust repair is a monumental PITA... But it depends on the differences in mechanical package you're looking at... A 2005 Ford diesel over a 1998 Ford gasser with some rust, I'll take the older Ford every time. Reason being that after 2003, the newer the diesel, the more likely it is to go to the shop... Repeatedly in some cases. A clean rust-free PowerJoke 6.0 can make you wish you'd taken the gasser and repaired some rust in a hurry. Rust is still easier to deal with than a chronically POS engine.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteb22 View Post
Opinion on spending less on the bus purchase price and making some repairs regarding rust or spend a little more with less repairs? about $1k difference in purchase price of two busses.

without seeing the rust....

If you can take care of it easily with sandpaper and primer - save the thousand bucks for the build.

If it requires more than some simple sanding and primer, say cutting and welding.... Spend the extra thousand and but the clean non rusted bus.

I have a 99 Amtran, and it had rust! right drivetrain, good price and made the 1,000 mile trip home just fine but...no ac.

Just bought a second bus, 2003 RE Amtran - high roof, has a/c an ZERO RUST but the engine needs a rebuild, milkshake oil !!!

So one way or the other your gonna spend some money.
I'm toying with selling the 99 (with a roof raise) and using that money to rebuild the engine in the 2003 but damn...I hate to go thru another roof raise!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote