Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
no politics please

I ran across an otherwise interesting discussion today in which the author expressed his political opinion as F--- so and so and suggested that if we didn't agree to block his posts. I'll identify him if you wish (by PM) only. If we let politics in the forum will crash and burn. Thanks, Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
That would be in the "Everything Else" thread, so at least it's not in the nuts and bolts threads. I agree that overt politics would be bad here, and covert too, but we're in strange times so thing are going to slip through.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I ran across an otherwise interesting discussion today in which the author expressed his political opinion as F--- so and so and suggested that if we didn't agree to block his posts. I'll identify him if you wish (by PM) only. If we let politics in the forum will crash and burn. Thanks, Jack
I’m with you Jack. It really doesn’t have a place here. IMO.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
It was in my build post. It's the bumper sticker on my car. It's part of a screen name on reddit. It's a part of who I am.
And I didn't say anything about agreeing, just if you didn't want to read it you're free to move along. You don't have to agree with me, and I ain't bringing politics into your threads. Well, this one, because you're calling me out about it.

Unless I am mistaken and somebody else has the same opinion and wrote the same statement as me. But if so, I missed it. I've got a few people now on my ignore list. Just added another.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:55 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Politics do have a way of creeping into threads.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:21 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Its in his own thread. He's not shitposting.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:26 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Politics do have a way of creeping into threads.
It used to. Back when I joined if you weren't white and republican you were ran off from here.

When lately has this been an issue?
Old 04-25-2020, 07:06 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I really just like coming here to talk about cool stuff we do to school busses..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its in his own thread. He's not shitposting.
Is another user in the covid-19 thread calling T**** supporters sociopaths shitposting? I have a feeling the sentiment would be a little different if all of a sudden a bunch of us started posting "MAGA" anywhere we could get away with.

Here's what it comes down to: People are not trying to silence others, we just don't care about anyone's political views and don't come here to consume them. There's plenty of other places on the internet to go to for that garbage, this site is about skoolies.

And the bigotry brought up by the OP I think is simply unacceptable as well (It may have been targeted specifically at me, but I have never touched on anything related in any of my comments in the build thread). It was clearly meant to antagonize with no other purpose, I'd call that shitposting.

There's a stickied thread in here:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/ne...tml#post115602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
IF you have nothing nice to say...don't say it, it will make your blood pressure lower and it will not offend fellow builders

I think this should apply universally if we want civility around here.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #10
Bus Geek

We're talking about one user in their own build thread here.
And there's the covid thread where the potus has definitely been criticized. I was raised to believe that's not a bad thing.

You guys are making it sound like anti-trump members are shitposting on every thread but that's not the case at all.
I'm all for not making threads political. Folks are all reacting to the biggest calamity in our lifetimes, and its been remarkable un-political here compared the rest of the web. I know there are one or two who get more heated and passionate than many of us would like but its not a site-wide problem. Its not really even a problem.
This, too, shall pass eventually folks.
Kumbaya.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
We're talking about one user in their own build thread here.
No, we are not.

Quote:
And there's the covid thread where the potus has definitely been criticized. I was raised to believe that's not a bad thing.
You have to understand that not everyone agrees with your assessment of the situation or the actors at play. Its fine to criticize the president, I just think you need a compelling (relevant) reason to do it here. And other users (not you) have taken a small amount of politicking as permission to push the line further and further.

I have a ~2 year old build thread here, and I just lost a quarter of my income due to covid. That's something that has affected someone on this forum, but I don't want to post in the covid thread because a bunch of people are taking political swipes at others. I asked for it to stop, it fell on deaf ears. So I wont post there anymore, its a thread to bash politicial actors not a thread to talk about how covid impacts the skoolie community.

Quote:
You guys are making it sound like anti-trump members are shitposting on every thread but that's not the case at all.
That is misrepresenting the complaint. What purpose does the above post serve? Ask the question to yourself, and convince yourself before you convince others that oh, its just fine, its just ranting in a build thread.

Again I'm not for silencing anybody. I personally don't want this to be a place for politics, because those vocal about it are going to make others who may not feel the same, feel unwelcome.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
Bus Geek

I guess we'll just have to disagree then. But please- show me where anything is getting too political outside the two threads already mentioned and lets get em edited, removed, taken down, or whatever.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Here's an example of how the forum used to be-
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/a-...olol-9484.html
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/ob...cans-5549.html
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/it...more-4304.html
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/na...ling-6322.html
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/fi...lems-5564.html
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/an...tack-3995.html
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/li...ruth-5444.html

please take the time to look through those older threads and note how entirely political this forum USED to be.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I guess we'll just have to disagree then. But please- show me where anything is getting too political outside the two threads already mentioned and lets get em edited, removed, taken down, or whatever.
We don't have to agree. I want you to know I appreciate you listening, regardless.

Quote:
Probably because he agreed with those politics. please take the time to look through those older threads and note how entirely political this forum USED to be.
Yes, there are degrees of awful. I get that there's a balance and that being heavy-handed is not good, especially when it comes to maintaining cordiality with the people you are policing. I still follow the bonnie blue build thread, it just saddens me that this happened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	banhammer.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	43755
(In all seriousness, I'd be very hesitant to ban anyone for saying anything. I'd close the threads, and say this isn't the place for any of it. How is any of that relevant?)

Lets lighten up a bit, I want to begin the day on a positive.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ima_fe7b04c.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	43756

Woke up to that this morning. Brought a little light to my day, hope it does to yours.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I really just like coming here to talk about cool stuff we do to school busses..
I do too, but I had to get the statement out of my system. The best place I figured to do that was in my own thread. I started and deleted so many replies last week in the Covid-19 thread. I've slept much easier now that I ignored the thread and posted in my own.

Like I said I have the bumper sticker on my car says the same thing. My bus is likely to have a giant "I Heart Hillary" flag or something similar flying at least as high as any confederate flags we see around here. Nobody has to come knocking on my door if we are at Skooliepalooza or someplace at the same time.

I'm not really a festival guy anyway (can you tell lol?) but there's some people I would like to meet from here, and most of them I think have different political views than I. Several of you, though, just nah. You aren't somebody I want to get to know.

Said I wouldn't reply lol, and I did. But it's out of my system now. Didn't mean to stir up too much crap. We can go back to pictures of kittens now.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/image...ilies/hide.gif
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
We don't have to agree. I want you to know I appreciate you listening, regardless.

Yes, there are degrees of awful. I get that there's a balance and that being heavy-handed is not good, especially when it comes to maintaining cordiality with the people you are policing. I still follow the bonnie blue build thread, it just saddens me that this happened.

Attachment 43755
(In all seriousness, I'd be very hesitant to ban anyone for saying anything. I'd close the threads, and say this isn't the place for any of it. How is any of that relevant?)

Lets lighten up a bit, I want to begin the day on a positive.
Attachment 43756

Woke up to that this morning. Brought a little light to my day, hope it does to yours.
Most of the more egregious posts and threads were authored by folks still modding the forum.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
I do too, but I had to get the statement out of my system. The best place I figured to do that was in my own thread. I started and deleted so many replies last week in the Covid-19 thread. I've slept much easier now that I ignored the thread and posted in my own.

Like I said I have the bumper sticker on my car says the same thing. My bus is likely to have a giant "I Heart Hillary" flag or something similar flying at least as high as any confederate flags we see around here. Nobody has to come knocking on my door if we are at Skooliepalooza or someplace at the same time.

I'm not really a festival guy anyway (can you tell lol?) but there's some people I would like to meet from here, and most of them I think have different political views than I. Several of you, though, just nah. You aren't somebody I want to get to know.

Said I wouldn't reply lol, and I did. But it's out of my system now. Didn't mean to stir up too much crap. We can go back to pictures of kittens now.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/image...ilies/hide.gif
Definitely get to know Chris aka cadillackid he's one of the best people I know. Seriously.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:59 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Definitely get to know Chris aka cadillackid he's one of the best people I know. Seriously.
YES!!!! I couldn't agree more.

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
You’re right Jack. I’ve done it too. Sorry to everyone that I might have offended. This is not The place for it.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #20
Site Team

A few years back we changed up the site rules specifically to address political comments and posts. They are off limits unless they are specifically geared at policies that affect rvers and bus owners.. It doesn't matter who started the thread - it's off limits.

here are the rules: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/misc....ork&page=rules

If you see a problem post please report it and let the site team handle the issue. Political topics are toxic to forums and drive away reasonable folks - they don;t argue - they just check out. There are lots of good places on the www to talk politics but there are very few places to discuss Skoolies.