Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Parallel battery advice

Hey everyone!
I ordered an SOK LiFe PO4 12.8v 206AH battery. It took months to arrive. Meanwhile, tired of waiting I ordered and received a Screamer Life PO4 12v 100AH battery from Amazon. We are finally ready to get the system up today and needed to know if there is any reason why these two batteries can't be paralleled?
It's an exciting day. It's taken a long time to get the 4-100 amp panels mounted and all the components in place. We're finally ready to go but don't want to screw up now!
Thank you. Just love this community!!!

Mamassecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamassecret View Post
We are finally ready to get the system up today and needed to know if there is any reason why these two batteries can't be paralleled?
I can't say I'd recommend it for a few reasons.

First, native LiFePO4 voltage is 3.2V nominal. "12V" is achieved by having 4 cells internally in series (3.2V + 3.2V + 3.2V + 3.2V = 12.8V nominal), and it is generally considered bad practice to parallel batteries already in series. It is best if you can parallel at the cell level.

Second, and compounded by the above issue a bit, is the fact that one of these batteries is twice the capacity of the other. I imagine this will mean that one battery will end up working much harder than the other while in regular service. Energy is also going to move from the higher voltage pack (likely from the higher capacity one) to the lower voltage pack as they approach a low or high SoC.

If you were to series these two batteries the second problem would be even worse- the lower capacity pack will start to bottom out (or top off in the case of charging) well before the larger one and I think it would be likely you would see the internal BMS disconnect it during modest, normal use, even though the larger pack was far from empty/full.

You could reach out to each manufacturer and get their take on the issue if in doubt... but I don't think it's likely they'd sign off on it. Its questionable to do this with identical batteries, let alone ones with vastly different capacities.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you so much for your really thoughtful response. I cannot return the smaller one so I will try to see if anyone would like a good deal.
Thanks again
Old 05-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
where are you located at?
i might be interested?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hi,
My girlfriend is looking for a short bus to convert and has asked me to hold it for her for when she gets her bus. Thank you anyway. As it stands I would have no other use for the battery.