Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #41

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
The wife yelled too much for my taste so I traded her in for a bus. I'm 51 years old. Way too old to put up with senseless nonsense.

Otter, if you already go camping and kayaking, how are you taking all the aminals? Find a bus and start off by using it to go camping. Maybe he will see how convenient it is.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyLass View Post
Lots of sage advice here.
Makes me glad I'm single.
Yes, lots of great advice here.
Makes me miss having someone to share life and dreams with.
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Mine started with my wife wanting to buy a trailer I have been wanting as a gift to me but her intention's were for me to build the camper she wanted on it? After a few discussion's about money I told her I could salvage enough to build the camper but we would need to buy a truck to pull it ? A few more argument's I said we might as well look for a bus? The school system was phasing a lot of old into the new and I ended up with the Jolly Roger 4-yrs later almost complete! I work 6-days a week so I only get Sunday's and still no money! between Sunday salvage and Sunday install it doesn't happen to quick bought for 2800 and still only have 3300 in him. I am technology challenged as for as computer's and my wife work's hospital night shift so pic's still haven't happened yet? (Sorry) my kid's were 10&11 when we designed spaces for them now they are 15&16 and getting permits and want there own vehicle and I scare them by taking the bus into a parking lot and tell them to park it?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Otter....I started out telling my husband about this damned fool who wants us tell her " how to convince her husband to buy a skoolie". Like we're suppose to know sh-- like that.

But I gotta now admit that it really turned out to be a great question after all, not that we had the answer you needed, but the fact that this subject and all of the sidesteps we've taken has given many some food for thought.

It's interesting to see how much love is out there and how much love was found and then lost and those who have tried and lost and satisfied with being alone.

A lot of these stories, I thought might be only in soap operas and not actual words that real world people would really say. It's refreshing to hear people say what's in their hearts.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
my kid's were 10&11 when we designed spaces for them now they are 15&16 and getting permits and want there own vehicle and I scare them by taking the bus into a parking lot and tell them to park it?
Bah! If they can parallel park a bus, they can parallel park *anything*. When I was squadron vehicle trainer for my old Guard unit, we'd conduct 2 hours of classroom training, at most, and then stick the students behind the wheel and drive out the gate, putting them into real world traffic.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Good advise!
Just divorced April 17th and neither of US wanted it.....
(13 y/o step monster didn't want it to work)
I'm on my 3rd also, I have a saying that works well for me

"A woman is to man as the crops to the land"
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Mine started with my wife wanting to buy a trailer I have been wanting as a gift to me but her intention's were for me to build the camper she wanted on it? After a few discussion's about money I told her I could salvage enough to build the camper but we would need to buy a truck to pull it ? A few more argument's I said we might as well look for a bus?
See, my hubbie wanted to build a trailer/ camper, but he either seemed to want one that was essentially a popup (I hate those!) where the shower, the kitchen, the everything was only accessible from the outside. I also hate that. But, to build one that would have everything outside... Our "big" vehicle is my Jeep Liberty. Yes, it has a towing package and etc, but other than the small, open utility trailer we currently have, I don't think I'd really want to tow much with it. I've looked at some of the camper/ trailers we could tow, but good gawds they are pricey, and none are really quite "right". Plus, to tow a bigger trailer, well, we'd need a bigger truck. We're quite happy with our Jeep, and the Hyundai Accent gets fantastic gas mileage.

I said something the other night about maybe getting one and just taking out about half (or more) of the back seats and using it like a big metal tent.

All I can say is, he didn't shoot it down...
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #48

have a long talk

I urge you to sit down and have a serious talk about it. We were planning on building a tiny house on a trailer, it took about a yr to get my husband onboard and a month ago I found this great bus and I told him we don't have to build walls or get a truck to pull it. So he said ok and three weeks later he moves out. I had no Idea why and finally a friend of his said he said She's CRAZY she want's to live in a bus. So please make sure he'll be happy.
Noraradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #49

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noraradford View Post
I urge you to sit down and have a serious talk about it. We were planning on building a tiny house on a trailer, it took about a yr to get my husband onboard and a month ago I found this great bus and I told him we don't have to build walls or get a truck to pull it. So he said ok and three weeks later he moves out. I had no Idea why and finally a friend of his said he said She's CRAZY she want's to live in a bus. So please make sure he'll be happy.

Crazy is a good thing!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I'd do it in a heartbeat.... $900 a month rent is senseless, then add utilities to that.
shopping hard
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:23 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
expensive hobbies like a bus takes its toll on relationships.

girlfriends have come and gone...but the bus is still here
Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear this. What a rotten thing to do.

Alex
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Check your zoning. If a shipping container is allowed, consider it. When doing house renovations, it is great storage. It can be a garage if yours is aging too much to be repaired. It can be a testing ground for space if you want to see what living in a space 8x28 is like. They can be had real cheap if not free an d come in various lengths.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

I like that idea, but yeah, I'll have to check zoning.

.... wait... I was going to do that anyway today, and I forgot... Mostly because half of Texas is currently underwater...
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #55
Skoolie

Quote:
OH!
that is so crummy I am very sorry about that.

You deserve to be happy also!
I am sure you have great happiness in our future.
Thanks
Cliff
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote