Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
does anyone still talk on CB?
Yes. Lots of us out here. Got one in the bus and a rig at home that i use to talk all over the country with. I can get to England On a good night of skip

Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummings Turbo 5.9 liter
Rated Cap: 72 Passengers:30,000 GVW
Good on you Alley Cat! My only question is why it is divided into regions? I personally would like to know what's happening with the entire community without having to click on each region. As has been mentioned this is a small but interesting group of renegades and it just seems time wasteful to segregate into regions. This is solely my humble opinion and I will abide by majority rule. Have Skoolie, will travel. Isn't that the point? Well let me clarify, it is my point.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

Good to meet you WanderWoman. Now hopefully I won't be alone in the HE MAN WOMAN HATERS CLUB.
Of course as women we can change or at least open the minds of haters...on anything.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

A question I ve recently asked, Christopher. I owned a trucking company years ago and couldn't stand CBS then. All I can say after listening to the exact idiotic language that was posted here is....I hope the CB has gone the fate as eight tract tapes.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Not quite sure I get this post. What is the other side? I m very happy being single and the only way I would ever get married again is to find some ol fart with one foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel with a sheet load of dough and no heirs. Do you qualify? If so....you can pm me asap.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I like the idea of being able to not have to click on regions.. but i do venture to say that im guessing quite a few skoolies do travel regional...

I dont think im the only one who feels a tad bit of anxiety when thinking about crossing the rockies...

granted, maybe seeing it all national would compel me and others to make a trip across the rockies in a bus... as opposed to staying regional like I tend to do now..

as for a CB? well I think I'll let it go the way of the 8-track and not put one in either bus...

I think I'll use that spot for a kickass Stereo...
-Christopher
Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
That's simple... Open both doors and put a gang plank between them!
Problem solved, easy peasy
Are you kidding? If I was dumb enough to ever marry again I would require separate living arrangements. Two Skoolies sounds like heaven! I mean think on this....you would never be in the dog house again and you can just drive off into the sunset already packed. No lawyers involved. Beautiful!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #68
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No, not really.
Tuckers bantering about lot lizards is about all I've heard in a long time. And a few sketchy conversations in spanish.
Agreed. All the conversations I've heard via CB have been exactly that. How's the HAM radio scene? I know my ex brother in-law still nerds out with his. I signed up for a class once but it fell through, and I believe there is still a HAM system in my grandad's garage.....
Old 10-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I like the idea of being able to not have to click on regions.. but i do venture to say that im guessing quite a few skoolies do travel regional...

I dont think im the only one who feels a tad bit of anxiety when thinking about crossing the rockies...

granted, maybe seeing it all national would compel me and others to make a trip across the rockies in a bus... as opposed to staying regional like I tend to do now..

as for a CB? well I think I'll let it go the way of the 8-track and not put one in either bus...

I think I'll use that spot for a kickass Stereo...
-Christopher
Christopher I ve been over the Rockies in a semi truck hauling a forty foot flatbed loaded. I ve also crossed the Canadian Rockies pulling a horse trailer with four thousand pound beasts. Granted, my ex was the driver, but know it is breathtaking and if the Colorado Rockies impress you...or scare the bejesus outta you, wait until you see/drive the Canadian Rockies. Spectacular.

I ve been working this ranch in Oregon for so long and with my Skoolie I want to just travel the US, Canada and Mexico. I m an avid hiker and kayaker and I have lots of new places to go and enjoy my sports. Freedom at last!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #70
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
Agreed. All the conversations I've heard via CB have been exactly that. How's the HAM radio scene? I know my ex brother in-law still nerds out with his. I signed up for a class once but it fell through, and I believe there is still a HAM system in my grandad's garage.....
Go to Prescott Arizona. I own property there and was amazed at all of the Ham huge radio towers in people's tract homes. Gads.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #71
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapple View Post
Christopher I ve been over the Rockies in a semi truck hauling a forty foot flatbed loaded. I ve also crossed the Canadian Rockies pulling a horse trailer with four thousand pound beasts. Granted, my ex was the driver, but know it is breathtaking and if the Colorado Rockies impress you...or scare the bejesus outta you, wait until you see/drive the Canadian Rockies. Spectacular.

I ve been working this ranch in Oregon for so long and with my Skoolie I want to just travel the US, Canada and Mexico. I m an avid hiker and kayaker and I have lots of new places to go and enjoy my sports. Freedom at last!
the rockies dont scare me from a personal or driving standpoint.. I grew up with every year our fasmily vacation was from ohio over and into the USA rockies.. in an IHC Scout II.. first one was a gasser.. second one we had was a Diesel..

there are 3 aspects that bother me about running over the rockies..

1. I am a business owner and Must be able to work every single day if needbe.. if i lose cellular Data service, i cannot Function in my work role..

2. it snows alot and unexpectedly. (I remember snow in june)... i dont believe I have the proper experience to drive a commercial bus over mountain passes on snowy or icey roads...

3. are my busses rocky capable? both have AT545;s and dont have big engines... a breakdown on flat ground near lots of cities is easy... get on truckdown.com and get a mobile repair service or get towed in, hole up in a hotel somewhere until I can source parts to fix it myself or get it fixed..
a breakdown in a remote location could mean im layed up without the ability for me to perform my work.. and that would be very bad for me...

perhaps my first move should be renting a car and traversing the rockies in a car to see exactly what it ls like now vs what it was like in the 70s and 8-s when i did it as a kid... and then make my decision whether id try it in one of my busses or not...

-Christopher
Old 10-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
this.....

I think merging ANY discussion of dating into an awesome resource such as this is a disaster waiting to happen - AND, I am single?

The best way to meet people is to show up. BTW, I know of one get-together coming up in January?
Dredman, I just read your blog and subscribed to your channel. You are exactly what my intentions are for Single Skoolies! My gosh, look at the beauty you are enjoying, the places you are seeing, the freedom you have! Some people don't mind experiencing nature alone, I m one of them, but wouldn't it be fantastic to travel the roads less traveled with others seeking the same experience? Like you I ve spent the last year getting rid of most everything. I m just done with "stuff" I want what you are having! I thought my dirt bike days were behind me but you sure can get into some cool places and cover ground on a dirt bike. Btw, if you haven't been to Glamis you must put that on your list, hundred foot razor back dunes that will blow your mind. I grew up in San Diego east county and spent many winters at Glamis.
If you or any Skoolie ever gets to Oregon, my pastures will accommodate you. Water and electric available. I can give you an itinerary for seeing all of Oregon. I ve travelled the entire state and trust me, Oregon is so beautiful, so diverse, so very many interesting places to visit if you just know where to start.
The Skoolie paloosia is very cool. I won't be ready for it next year but 2018 I ll be there.
I do have a burning question, the only problem I m facing is how to carry my kayak. I have a Hobie outback hard shell that weighs seventy pounds sans my gear. It is too awkward for me to hoist up, takes up too much space if loading in the bus. The only solution I ve come up with is to purchase a Hobie inflatable but they cost about the same as my hard shell. I do have a sea eagle inflatable for friends but once you have kayaked with a mirage drive...well let's just say I m spoiled rotten. How do you get your yak on top of the bus?
Old 10-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
the rockies dont scare me from a personal or driving standpoint.. I grew up with every year our fasmily vacation was from ohio over and into the USA rockies.. in an IHC Scout II.. first one was a gasser.. second one we had was a Diesel..

there are 3 aspects that bother me about running over the rockies..

1. I am a business owner and Must be able to work every single day if needbe.. if i lose cellular Data service, i cannot Function in my work role..

2. it snows alot and unexpectedly. (I remember snow in june)... i dont believe I have the proper experience to drive a commercial bus over mountain passes on snowy or icey roads...

3. are my busses rocky capable? both have AT545;s and dont have big engines... a breakdown on flat ground near lots of cities is easy... get on truckdown.com and get a mobile repair service or get towed in, hole up in a hotel somewhere until I can source parts to fix it myself or get it fixed..
a breakdown in a remote location could mean im layed up without the ability for me to perform my work.. and that would be very bad for me...

perhaps my first move should be renting a car and traversing the rockies in a car to see exactly what it ls like now vs what it was like in the 70s and 8-s when i did it as a kid... and then make my decision whether id try it in one of my busses or not...

-Christopher
I was told there is internet available for RVs. It makes sense with so many people rving full time now. I think one of the satellite companies offer it. Let us know what you find out.
I live in rugged Oregon mountains so this type of traveling is what I m used to. I think if this is a concern for you then your idea of doing a run via automobile is a good idea. Also check with the national weather reports. Usually you can get a ten day forecast then plan accordingly. You have two busses! Don't limit your adventures! Whenever I take a long trip I take my car or truck to the dealership and have everything inspected. When the tranny failed on my Skoolie bringing it home, I had the transmission shop do a full inspection. The only thing they found was the clearance lights did not work. Easy fix and most likely were disabled when the district disabled the flashers, stop sign, etc.
Christopher, you sound like too much fun to stick to Ohio and Florida....Go West, Young Man! (Mae West) if anyone knows who she was.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #74
Almost There

Coachwork: Corbeil - RAMROD
Chassis: IH 3800 66 Pass
Engine: 7.3 IH IDI NA w AT545 hyd
Quote:
If you or any Skoolie ever gets to Oregon, my pastures will accommodate you. Water and electric available. I can give you an itinerary for seeing all of Oregon. I ve travelled the entire state and trust me, Oregon is so beautiful, so diverse, so very many interesting places to visit if you just know where to start.
Aapple that sounds like a generous offer - if I had land I'd be the same way
Old 10-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #75
Mini-Skoolie

Why thank you. I see you are from Canada,eh? (See I do speak Canadian) I ve done a lot of business in Northern Alberta, Valley View to be precise. I love Canada and adore the people. Canada is high on my list to travel. I ve only been in BC and Alberta and each trip was for business. I want to travel the entire country. Just too dangled cold for me to live there but depending on how this election goes, I may be spending summers in Canada and winters in Todos Santos and the Sea of Cortez side. Lots of places to boondock on the Sea of Cortez waking up to the melodic singing of the humpback whales. Oh I can't wait!
I d like to express my sincere condolences to Canada on the recent demise of Rob Ford. Now we are back to our own fools to laugh (cry?) about and it ain't near as funny as Rob Ford was. At least he wasn't dangerous. RIP.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapple View Post
Good on you Alley Cat! My only question is why it is divided into regions? I personally would like to know what's happening with the entire community without having to click on each region. As has been mentioned this is a small but interesting group of renegades and it just seems time wasteful to segregate into regions. This is solely my humble opinion and I will abide by majority rule. Have Skoolie, will travel. Isn't that the point? Well let me clarify, it is my point.
It just felt like regions was the way to go with it.... but if y'all prefer to have it all in one forum that's perfectly ok too.... a couple of clicks is all it takes to eliminate the whole section.

Given that there will be a section for events happening, what other things would you like to see? I was thinking of at least a swap meet, general chatter, tips & tricks... but at the same time I don't want to make it a clone of this board. I want it to have its own unique flavor.

I personally think that even if the regional boards go away, it should at least be US and Canada (and Mexico, if the demand is there) in separate sections.

I'm doing this for all of us but I can't do it alone.... tell me what you want to see and I'll do what I can to get it out there.

Aapple, this was your brainchild.... tell me what you'd like to see it grow into.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #77
Mini-Skoolie

Har! Dr. Frankenstein had a brainchild too, now the pressure is on! I think your ideas are all good, but for me, I m still not convinced to separate the forum even by countries. I plan to travel all three countries and I will be very interested in anything and everything going on in all three. I guess I m just not into segregation, I love different cultures, people and their ideas. I so appreciate what you are doing and aside from giving birth to this....remember folks, it takes a village. I am but one voice and a newbie to boot so please for all that are interested in this come forth with suggestions to get this rolling...a pun? I ll always take it.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #78
Mini-Skoolie

Alley cat, I think what Dredman did, posting an event is a good idea, people with the room that can offer a resting stop for Skoolies would be good, offering pros and cons on places to travel, warnings/hazards for single travelers to be aware of is good. Letting the group know when someone has an itinerary and feels ok in inviting others also would be of interest. I ll think more on this and hopefully others will chime in.
Again, I thank you so much for all of your great efforts. People helping people is a virtue. Gratitude brings peace.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Ok I've added in a few more subboards..... the regional boards are still there, I'm still not convinced that isn't the right way to go, but I'll go with whatever the majority decides on that.

Take a look and see what you think.

SingleSkoolies
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #80
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
Ok I've added in a few more subboards..... the regional boards are still there, I'm still not convinced that isn't the right way to go, but I'll go with whatever the majority decides on that.

Take a look and see what you think.

SingleSkoolies
That is awesome! Great job. As I said, I m but one voice and I am fine with majority rules. Let's hear what others would like. I am including a link that might give more ideas, win.clubexpress.com
I joined this group when I bought my travel trailer to live in while I built a new home in Prescott. But now the Skoolie bug has bitten me big time and I'm heading to Prescott to haul the trailer back and sell it. I m planning on leasing out my ranch land and hitting the road, living full time in my Psychotic Illusion (the name of my bus).

I think you did a splendid job and so fast! Much thanks and kudos, AlleyCat!
When can we start posting? Oh, is there a way to upload photos? That would be very cool especially if we get together and party with lampshades on our heads.
Closed Thread