Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
We need more time before being automatically logged out!!

I haven't timed it, but more often than not, I'll finish a post and not be able to post it because when I hit "post", I get the screen that says "you have to be logged in to do that"!

There is obviously a clock, and after a certain amount of "inactivity", you get logged out. While I understand the safety aspect of this, it's set much too short. It needs to be extended to at least an hour... and frankly, I'd prefer a day... but anything would be better than the 10 or 15 minutes we get right now. (When I have to Control-C a post that isn't even 1,000 words long, to make sure I don't lose the whole thing when it says that I have to log in again, there is a problem in the programming.)

RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I've never been logged out on computer or phone.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:50 AM   #3
Bus Geek

X2 never been kicked out in like 5 years? Maybe a modem setting?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yeah if you start a post then walk away then submit, the session timer times out... ive had it happen before.. you stat logged into the forum, however the session timer on the form submit times out.

if I walk away from a post then come back to finish it then i simply CMD-A, CMD-C it to copy it then if I get nailed, I simply paste it into a refreshed window and post it...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Yes that happens here to. write multiple small post , that gets your count up as well. seems to happen a lot.

I think that if you click "stay logged in" then it became a it better for me.
It has been mentioned before.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Protip

Whenever you spend some time on a response/reply/post, select the text and copy to your computer clipboard. At least you won't have to type it all again.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Whenever you spend some time on a response/reply/post, select the text and copy to your computer clipboard. At least you won't have to type it all again.
That's what I've been doing. The hassle of having to log in again is still real, though.

For what it's worth, maybe y'all need more information. I'm using the latest version of Firefox on a MacBook Pro running OS X El Capitan, and I have it set to its most private settings. No cookies, no storing the history, no large cache, no storing temporary files for long periods of time, none of that. (Firefox runs poorly enough as it is, without all of that junk!)

I'd say that I get about 15 minutes of "inactivity" (which seems to mean "changing web pages") before getting auto-logged out. I can be typing and that still counts. For example, I'll be able to put up this short post without problems. But if it were three or four times its length (not hard for someone like me who always has a lot of questions and can type relatively quickly), I'll have to copy it because I will have been auto-logged out in the meantime before being able to post.
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

For what it's worth, maybe y'all need more information. I'm using the latest version of Firefox on a MacBook Pro running OS X El Capitan, and I have it set to its most private settings. No cookies, no storing the history, no large cache, no storing temporary files for long periods of time, none of that. (Firefox runs poorly enough as it is, without all of that junk!)
I never get logged-out. Running El Capitan 10.11 on i7 hackintosh. I am using Chrome, however.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I wonder if it has to do with clicking the "remember me" check box on the login screen -- maybe if you check the box when logging in the session time-outs won't happen.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Click remember me when you login and make sure that you have enabled cookie exchange with the site. We use cookies to keep you logged in. Another benefit of always logging in is that you see fewer ads ;)
Old 10-16-2017, 02:33 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

is there any way to set the session timer for a little longer? i dont always use my own computer and im not gonna go about changing the settings on other peoples computers to enable cookies. im new here and over the past couple days ive lost 3 lengthy typed up posts due to this. im trying to become a more active member and help some others out but its sooo disheartening when you lose 20 or 25 minutes worth of work and information.
12equiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12equiem View Post
is there any way to set the session timer for a little longer? i dont always use my own computer and im not gonna go about changing the settings on other peoples computers to enable cookies. im new here and over the past couple days ive lost 3 lengthy typed up posts due to this. im trying to become a more active member and help some others out but its sooo disheartening when you lose 20 or 25 minutes worth of work and information.
I used the "keep me signed in" box on the log in page, and the forum never signs me out.

I do have that issue on another forum, but not this one.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
No cookies, no storing the history, no large cache, no storing temporary files for long periods of time, none of that. (Firefox runs poorly enough as it is, without all of that junk!)
Cookies are what keep you logged in when you leave the page. Without cookies their is no way for the browser to remember you are logged in. 2 decent options.
-You can selectively pick what sites your browser will store cookies for.
-or you could get a encrypted password keeper, when it is open you can click a button to login selected sites and it will auto fill and log you in.

Quote:
You can always use a word processing program or text pad to type on then copy-paste it when you are ready to post.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
Traveling

Quote:
im trying to become a more active member and help some others out but its sooo disheartening when you lose 20 or 25 minutes worth of work and information.
Like they said, cookies. If you have plug-in for browser to limit cookies, give skoolie.net whitelist privledges.

After typing lengthy reply, copy the text to computer clipboard. Select-all, copy.
If gone, Ctrl-V and paste it.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
After typing lengthy reply, copy the text to computer clipboard. Select-all, copy. If gone, Ctrl-V and paste it.

Similar approach but you can also do most of the typing in local program (notepad or whatever you like) and then paste it from there. I am a slow poster (like to think, research, over-analyze my words, etc...) so i use this approach.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote