Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Why is this site so restrictive to new members?

I'm not unfamiliar with forums, i've been regulars at forums since the early 2000's and I have never once seen a public forum with such restrictive limitations on new accounts. My account is verified, why can't I post without having to wait 4-8 days for a moderator to "approve" my post, and for that matter why is there no rhyme or reason to what posts get blocked? I made a post and it was immediately avalible, I even responded to it and it was there right away, then the next response is blocked pending approval for some reason.

This site has a wealth of information and helpful people, yet as a new member legitimately trying to seek information and contribute I'm being roasted over the coals by a overzealous spam protection system. I'm sure there is reasons for this, but I have to say after trying to use this site for a few days I'm on the verge of relegating my use of this site to a database only role and not bothering to post or contribute at all. Its just not a good experience as a new member here...

Vendeta44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
As a recent member, I noticed if you put links in they will shunt for moderation.
Or you edit it, that is another flag. Having run forums, I appreciate all the effort to prevent spammers.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I don't think the link thing is strictly true, I've had linkless posts get blocked and posts with links get instantly approved.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Cuts down on riff-raff and spammers.
The site has been great for the members that play by the "house" rules.
Be patient, and post the requisite # of posts and you should be okay in time...?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Its anti-spam, anti-fake news measures. In this day and age they're needed. But if you send an admin a message they can help you out. All you have to do is post 5 times and you get full access.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its anti-spam, anti-fake news measures. In this day and age they're needed. But if you send an admin a message they can help you out. All you have to do is post 5 times and you get full access.
I figured, just seemed a bit unintuitive since it wasn't explained(or i missed it on account creation) and only some posts get blocked well others are immediately approved. I should have my minimum now I guess, so hopefully no more weirdness with the spam filter.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
It does seem that the new-account moderation keeps out spammers and people trying to dig up subscribers for their brand new Youtube channels. Also, with only one exception it seems that every user here is a real person and not a bot, which is nice. I guess the price is that it may chase off new users that have something real to contribute like yourself, but hopefully you can get past the initial restrictions.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Not a very high bar imo. Maybe familiarity with computers/tech is a factor here?
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
It does seem that the new-account moderation keeps out spammers and people trying to dig up subscribers for their brand new Youtube channels. Also, with only one exception it seems that every user here is a real person and not a bot, which is nice. I guess the price is that it may chase off new users that have something real to contribute like yourself, but hopefully you can get past the initial restrictions.
This.

Members with fewer than 10 posts have their posts moderated if they contain links. The site is moderated by volunteers and so there is sometimes a delay. Spam and markety blather is a constant problem. The restriction is difficult for new members, I agree, but it also keeps the ads for cheap Nike's, woody pills and call to "check out my cool new tiny house blog" to a dull roar. It's a balancing act...
Old 07-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom 40'
Engine: DDECII 6V92T Allison MT647
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs of potential
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
This.

Members with fewer than 10 posts have their posts moderated if they contain links. The site is moderated by volunteers and so there is sometimes a delay. Spam and markety blather is a constant problem. The restriction is difficult for new members, I agree, but it also keeps the ads for cheap Nike's, woody pills and call to "check out my cool new tiny house blog" to a dull roar. It's a balancing act...

Thank you Janet for this answer, and for your otherwise thankless work.
We depend on you Mods to keep this great resource 'clean' for us.
Rich
Phantom5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

This is a test. Really it is.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Good question.
It took me 3 tries to post a WTB ad. I edited it, installed a link to show what I was looking for and the post self-destructed.

It's nice to see your posts instant, you know instant gratification. Hardly anybody does the approval thing anymore.
dictum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
I love it. I was a new member and I survived. Keeps the other millennials from drumming up subscribers for their stupid channels, just today somebody was on a pandemic lockdown and security thread shilling a site that sold n95 masks from china. English was clearly not their first language, their post got deleted fast. Thank you moderators
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictum View Post
Good question.
It took me 3 tries to post a WTB ad. I edited it, installed a link to show what I was looking for and the post self-destructed.

It's nice to see your posts instant, you know instant gratification. Hardly anybody does the approval thing anymore.
The issue is links and an abundance of spam. You can post as a new member but posts with links are moderated. This restriction is removed after a few posts.

The solution is imperfect (like most things in life)
Old 09-27-2021, 11:34 AM   #15

Year: 1958
Chassis: Carpenter CorsAir - GMC
Engine: 366v8 Gas
Rated Cap: 40 kids+/- Is that THE ?
I'm newbie as well. Keep up the good fight....
wordlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
No woody pills to sell?!

Welcome to the site!
Old 10-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
No woody pills to sell?!
I'm fairly sure no one would admit to clicking on those ads ;)
Old 10-06-2021, 02:19 PM   #18

Year: 1958
Chassis: Carpenter CorsAir - GMC
Engine: 366v8 Gas
Rated Cap: 40 kids+/- Is that THE ?
New members - hurdle to post

As I already posted, I'm a newbie here but do appreciate efforts - all efforts - to keep site clean and moving forward....
-I also think an over-whelmed newbie has a point - perhaps the answer is not lowering the entrance bar but rather educating the newbie to better use this site.

Since I'm newbie, in need of "orientation training to site also", other than newbie spot within site forum, where should I begin my training - all recommendations welcome but just know I've only got 5 minutes usually when I can turn my attention to such forums...in that time window, what education can be done?

Thank you - in advance - for any help here...

Larry, Gainesville, Ga. 1958 CorSair Bus-RV
wordlarry is offline   Reply With Quote