Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2023, 11:02 AM   #1

1957 Crown

Hello there, new member that’s been lurking around trying to learn about the skoolie hobby. I have researched the everyday buses and their power options, etc.. However, I may have found a 1957 Crown bus and I don’t know a thing about these. The only thing I do know is that it only has a single rear axle. I am hoping to get a chance to look it over and see what the story is with it.
What areas of the body and frame should I pay close attention to?
What engine/trans setup could it have? Pros and cons to different offerings?
I would appreciate any info, knowledge or opinions that anyone has to point me in the right direction.
Thank you.

AzPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 11:57 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
First off, where in AZ are you or the bus? I'm up near Flagstaff and have a couple Crowns. Between myself and a couple of others who will, no doubt, jump in we can certainly help.

As far as the engine, Crown made buses to order...building them from (generally) standard Class 8 heavy truck parts. So the good news is that almost all of the driveline and steering and brake parts are the same as those used on semi trucks, and usually easy to get. The downside is that each Crown is different so there's no telling what's in yours. A customer could order a mid-engine (beneath the floor) or a rear engine. And there were different engines used...Hall-Scott gas engines, Detroit 2-strokes, Cummins. I don't know what yours might have, but there are some here who probably have the serial numbers memorized and can tell you what engines were available that year. If it's a Detroit 2-stroke, I personally love them and they're super durable and simple. I do have a Hall-Scott Crown and parts are very hard to find...and they get terrible fuel economy.

Do you have a serial number on that bus yet? Or any more info on it?

The summary for now is that Crown buses were extremely well-made and durable. They used steel which was stronger than spec and the industry norm, the used quality parts, and they're just cool. They are not something to get into if you're afraid to turn a wrench and learn, or if you want every shop to be able to work on it, but if you want something you can maintain yourself they're hard to beat.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 12:17 PM   #3

I am in the Tucson area. I have just started the conversation with the owner about possibly selling it. I am waiting to further that and get a chance for a hands look at the old girl.
I certainly appreciate the driveline info. Hopefully I can get more info (vin#, serial #’s) in the near future. I will definitely post those when I can can to see if we can figure out more about her. Looking forward to learning more about these old classics!
Thank you!
Old 03-15-2023, 12:23 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

If you can even get a photo of the engine, we can ID it for you. And if they've sat for a while, there are some precautionary things to check before trying to start her up. My cell number is 554-5219, NAZ area code. Feel free to call when you're out looking the bus over, if you'd like. And you'll probably be getting similar offers from the other Crown fans here, too. I know that Mike, who's active here under the screen name Gillig_Guy...oops, Crown_Guy...is pretty free with help.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
If you can even get a photo of the engine, we can ID it for you. And if they've sat for a while, there are some precautionary things to check before trying to start her up. My cell number is 554-5219, NAZ area code. Feel free to call when you're out looking the bus over, if you'd like. And you'll probably be getting similar offers from the other Crown fans here, too. I know that Mike, who's active here under the screen name Gillig_Guy...oops, Crown_Guy...is pretty free with help.
Thank you for offering your assistance!! I will certainly take you up on that. The owner is not the most talkative, so I’m getting little bits and pieces from him. I don’t want to hammer him too hard for the details right at the get go. He did just let me know that it has a Cummins pancake engine in it. I am trying hard to set a time go get a look at it in person. Thanks again!!
Old 03-15-2023, 04:12 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPat View Post
Thank you for offering your assistance!! I will certainly take you up on that. The owner is not the most talkative, so I’m getting little bits and pieces from him. I don’t want to hammer him too hard for the details right at the get go. He did just let me know that it has a Cummins pancake engine in it. I am trying hard to set a time go get a look at it in person. Thanks again!!
Well, that's the one engine option I don't know...but it's better than the Hall-Scott! I do hear that one of the Cummins engines is hard to source parts for...but there are others which people love. We'll need to wait for one of the true Crown gurus to chime in on what model Cummins your '57 is likely to have.

But, for any other Crown bits feel free to reach out via text or call.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Well, that's the one engine option I don't know...but it's better than the Hall-Scott! I do hear that one of the Cummins engines is hard to source parts for...but there are others which people love. We'll need to wait for one of the true Crown gurus to chime in on what model Cummins your '57 is likely to have.

But, for any other Crown bits feel free to reach out via text or call.
Thank you. If it happens that this is a keeper and we can make a deal on it, I’m sure I’ll have more questions than you’ll want to answer. I appreciate the help so far!!
Old 03-15-2023, 05:26 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Old cummins can be hard to get parts for. I have a few that when they get too tired will have to be replaced, as even things like piston rings are not available. HBI series in particular. Sweet running engines though. I have not worked on the pancake version but am aware of them.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Old cummins can be hard to get parts for. I have a few that when they get too tired will have to be replaced, as even things like piston rings are not available. HBI series in particular. Sweet running engines though. I have not worked on the pancake version but am aware of them.
Hi Ronnie. Thank you for the input. If parts aren’t attainable, that could be a deal breaker for this bus. I hope to get a look at the bus in the next few days to verify some that info.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:00 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Take pictures if you go see it! We love pictures!
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:10 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Take pictures if you go see it! We love pictures!
------------------------
Yes, 🙏 please post photos.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:36 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
If the engine is original, it's probably a 220, or maybe a 262 if it has a smoke turbo fitted: these are 743 cu.in. engines. Does the bus have modern spring brakes, or does it have the old driveshaft parking brake?

If you sign up to join the Crown Coach Junkies forum on Facebook there are gurus there who'll be able to answer all your questions. A friend of mine there has a 1957 Crown with a 220 and a 5-speed.

Good luck, John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
If the engine is original, it's probably a 220, or maybe a 262 if it has a smoke turbo fitted: these are 743 cu.in. engines. Does the bus have modern spring brakes, or does it have the old driveshaft parking brake?

If you sign up to join the Crown Coach Junkies forum on Facebook there are gurus there who'll be able to answer all your questions. A friend of mine there has a 1957 Crown with a 220 and a 5-speed.

Good luck, John
Hi John. Thank you for the engine info, going to do some research on those. I will check out the braking system when I look at it. I will look into getting the Facebook group you mentioned. Thanks again.