Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1983 crown school bus measurements

Good Evening,

I am new here so apologize if my thread is incorrect.

I want to buy a 1983 crown school bus and convert it into a Retail Store. I want to quote the conversion with a builder and he asked me for the interior measurements. I tried everywhere and I don't find them. Can anyone provide me this information?

Also, Would you recommend this bus for this application? The reason I chose the Crown is because how it looks. It is just beautiful! If you know other similar brand with similar looks please let me know.

I appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails
00i0i_bX8qJh4KzsA_600x450.jpg  

prorallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by prorallydriver View Post
Good Evening,

I am new here so apologize if my thread is incorrect.

I want to buy a 1983 crown school bus and convert it into a Retail Store. I want to quote the conversion with a builder and he asked me for the interior measurements. I tried everywhere and I don't find them. Can anyone provide me this information?

Also, Would you recommend this bus for this application? The reason I chose the Crown is because how it looks. It is just beautiful! If you know other similar brand with similar looks please let me know.

I appreciate your help.
Gillig busses are similar. Both are very well built.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Prorallydriver,

That Crown is a BEAUTIFUL bus. There are some Crown guru's floating around who will likely have information regarding measurements.

As far as suitability to the task, I think it could be a real attention getter. There is a BBQ joint here that has an older Gillig as their dining area and it gets attention.

That said, I hate to see a beauty like that taken off of the road. Especially if it is modified so severly that it cannot be restored. Just my $0.02....

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
My 11 row Crown, the single axel 35 foot version is 28.5 feet behind the driver seat to the rear wall. 7'6.5" across and 6'2" tall in the center. Remember the Crown is widest at the floor, the walls are curved so the higher you go the narrower they get. The roof also has a greater curve than most buses so they are kinda short when standing near the window but nice and tall in the center. This is all off of the top of my head...
Old 03-25-2017, 04:08 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevydude01 View Post
My 11 row Crown, the single axel 35 foot version is 28.5 feet behind the driver seat to the rear wall. 7'6.5" across and 6'2" tall in the center. Remember the Crown is widest at the floor, the walls are curved so the higher you go the narrower they get. The roof also has a greater curve than most buses so they are kinda short when standing near the window but nice and tall in the center. This is all off of the top of my head...
And the 10-wheeler is five feet longer than the 35 foot model.

I can't say that I have ever seen an 11-row Crown. I have seen 12-16 rows but never 11-rows. You must have really generous knee spacing between your seats.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
Gillig busses are similar. Both are very well built.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thank You Sir! They look pretty similar.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Welcome Prorallydriver,

That Crown is a BEAUTIFUL bus. There are some Crown guru's floating around who will likely have information regarding measurements.

As far as suitability to the task, I think it could be a real attention getter. There is a BBQ joint here that has an older Gillig as their dining area and it gets attention.

That said, I hate to see a beauty like that taken off of the road. Especially if it is modified so severly that it cannot be restored. Just my $0.02....

S.
Thank You! I understand your valid concern about the modifications. But good news! I am going to restore the bus and keep it beautiful and running. This is not going to be only for display. My plan is to build several mobile stores using the same brand and model. So don't worry! all of them will be in perfect conditions and not heavily modified. I'll send some pictures when I start doing this project. Thank You!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevydude01 View Post
Thank You for the information. I got information from the owner and he was very kind to send me the measurements. So in case someone needs them here they are:

Floor width 89"
inside height 76"
length behind drivers sear 32'6"

Thank You!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
And the 10-wheeler is five feet longer than the 35 foot model.

I can't say that I have ever seen an 11-row Crown. I have seen 12-16 rows but never 11-rows. You must have really generous knee spacing between your seats.
The owner was really kind and sent me the measurements.

Floor width 89"
inside height 76"
length behind drivers sear 32'6"

Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
Bus Geek

A thought.....

If if is at all practical, I would hope that you shop for Crown's first from transportation operators/school districts in California before looking to private sellers.

Many of the school district owned Crowns are in danger of going to the scrappers to be lost forever. Moving them into private service may save them from being crushed.

"Save the Crowns!"
Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
A thought.....

If if is at all practical, I would hope that you shop for Crown's first from transportation operators/school districts in California before looking to private sellers.

Many of the school district owned Crowns are in danger of going to the scrappers to be lost forever. Moving them into private service may save them from being crushed.

"Save the Crowns!"
Really?? Wow that is awesome. I dont live in California so its quite difficult for me. Do you know where I can find those online? Or how I can locate them?

Thank you for the information.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Auction sites,Craigslist, Google....

There are a couple of members here that seem to know the Crown "population" in Southern California far better than I do. Hopefully some sill jump in here.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Until I logged in and saw the pic, the numbers made me think it was one
of the later years' 36'-40' two axle units. Crown was trying to compete and
stretching the bodies while keeping the less expensive to maintain two axle
running gear. Now that I see it's a 40' Tandem the numbers you got from the owner make sense. I also own one exactly like this 40' Tandem. A 1989. I suggest that you take a while to think and find out more about the overall condition of the expensive things that break under the floor. Like for instance what exactly does it have for power, the transmission, is it air-ride suspension in the rear axles, rear-end ratio, and most important as previously mentioned, get a true accounting of the history of the unit and where it came from and how well it was taken care of. The picture makes me think it's located in the California high desert, and if so you should really find out why the guy wants to part with it, there may be an expensive reason. Also don't get into any discussions about selling price other than a general idea, and don't make any commitments until you know more about it. I live in So. Cal. and will help you IF you are serious and can actually come up with the CASH to buy it once a decision is made. If you can't or are just dreaming..... Then I can't be of much help. Too many want a Crown, but when the time comes they can't do it for whatever reason. Feel free to contact me, but only if you are serious and willing to listen to 45 years of Crown experience......as a company owner and driver.
I'll give contact info later if you want. In the mean time I'll check here. You might be lucky in this since I mostly gave up checking this site months ago.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Perfect. I sent you a private message.

Thank You!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
The tandem pictured is my friend's - I helped him drive it back from the foothills of the Sierras after he bought it. It's a nice bus! The interior is already stripped, so it's ready for whatever conversión you want to do with it.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Thank You! I sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
Until I logged in and saw the pic, the numbers made me think it was one
of the later years' 36'-40' two axle units. Crown was trying to compete and
stretching the bodies while keeping the less expensive to maintain two axle
running gear. Now that I see it's a 40' Tandem the numbers you got from the owner make sense. I also own one exactly like this 40' Tandem. A 1989. I suggest that you take a while to think and find out more about the overall condition of the expensive things that break under the floor. Like for instance what exactly does it have for power, the transmission, is it air-ride suspension in the rear axles, rear-end ratio, and most important as previously mentioned, get a true accounting of the history of the unit and where it came from and how well it was taken care of. The picture makes me think it's located in the California high desert, and if so you should really find out why the guy wants to part with it, there may be an expensive reason. Also don't get into any discussions about selling price other than a general idea, and don't make any commitments until you know more about it. I live in So. Cal. and will help you IF you are serious and can actually come up with the CASH to buy it once a decision is made. If you can't or are just dreaming..... Then I can't be of much help. Too many want a Crown, but when the time comes they can't do it for whatever reason. Feel free to contact me, but only if you are serious and willing to listen to 45 years of Crown experience......as a company owner and driver.
I'll give contact info later if you want. In the mean time I'll check here. You might be lucky in this since I mostly gave up checking this site months ago.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #17
Bus Nut

OK. I got the PM and just replied back to you.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I am that friend of Iceni John, and the seller of the '83 Tandem. The only reason I am selling is that I already have a Gillig tandem, and also recently acquired a '73 Crown Atomic . . . I must "thin the herd". The big news is that I just got new Sumitomo steers, to be installed this week. With them, I believe this Crown will faithfully go anywhere in the country.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #19
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillig&Crown View Post
I am that friend of Iceni John, and the seller of the '83 Tandem. The only reason I am selling is that I already have a Gillig tandem, and also recently acquired a '73 Crown Atomic . . . I must "thin the herd". The big news is that I just got new Sumitomo steers, to be installed this week. With them, I believe this Crown will faithfully go anywhere in the country.
And just what does a Crown Tandem go for these days? Just curious
Old 04-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Very cool. Your logic is impeccable. I've driven a few Atomics and always thought they made excellent conversion/preservation candidates. I found them to be Crown quality in all respects and worth money spent to keep them in good shape. My only concern was with the air-ride handling and how they were in turns and winds. Their high profile and center of gravity, rear mounted engine, and air-bag location closer to the center line than would give best stability all conspired to make them high driver concentration handlers when things get turbulent. I've also driven oh-so many miles on full air-ride Crown school buses, typical 35ft 2-axles and they had the same handling tendencies. We always just made allowances for it and carried on. They were wonderful but alas are all completely gone, probably south of the border to be abused into oblivion. What I wouldn't give to get a line on one of those 1960's era heavily customized, for a certain famous charter company, for my own. By the way, I'm still curious how this particular Crown is powered, trans, suspension, etc. . I've also emailed John direct and waiting for his reply. As to the question about what a Tandem Crown is going for today.....I could be flip and say....if you have to ask....but I won't. They are worth whatever the buyer and seller think is fair. Hopefully without the influence of a middle guy in it to inflate the price for a cut......and no interest in the vehicle. It does look like a great Crown, much luck in finding a loving home for it and someone who can and will spend what it takes to keep it up and preserved for the future generations to enjoy.