1988 Ford B-Series 45-passenger
So on a trip to Alabama, I came across a 1988 Ford B-Series 45-passenger bus. Ex-school bus; currently a church bus. Mechanically it is maintained by a diesel mechanic that attends the church. Bus is annually inspected because it is used to carry children between the local school and the church.
- no rust
- 167,000 miles
- engine looks good
- has brand new front tires
- smaller bus (which is what I'm currently looking for)
- has AC (although doesn't work)
- AC doesn't work (hopefully fixable)
- needs 4 new back tires
- seller said that he thinks 55MPH is as fast as it will go (not sure if that is because of transmission or a speed-limiter)
- only has an 18-gallon fuel tank
They are asking $1,000. I would have to drive the bus from Alabama back home to Connecticut.
I currently have a 2008 IC CE300 37-footer which I converted. But I would like a smaller bus for when my kids go off to college in 6-years.
I was interested in thoughts on this purchase? Is $1,000 plus new tires, plus $500 in expenses in driving it to CT worth it? Especially with the negatives mentioned above.