Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1989 GMC Vandura short bus electric

Just starting this journey of conversion and having a hard time finding anything on my bus. Wiring diagrams, what parts are compatible and so on. Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks Lisa

Lisab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Welcome to the adventure of owning and driving a skoolie.

Generally speaking, your drivetrain components and accessories can be found and identified using a Haynes/Chiltons manual; the electronic accessories pertaining to such are largely going to be the same. Braking and suspension components (if you have any electronics there) would be found in whatever literature you can find on those particular systems--you might try looking up P30 diagrams, as you're probably using a HYDROBOOST brake system, or more rarely, a HYDROMAX with that year and make.

Body electronics would probably be by BlueBird or whoever made the bus body. I haven't ever actually found a 'complete' diagram for bluebird, so I usually just start wherever there's a problem or something I want to switch, and trace it back.

And that's assuming that there have been NO adaptations, changes, or hacks on the vehicle since it was produced, probably back in 1987.

I've found it is less useful to think of it as a solid 'object' or 'product', and instead break it down into 'systems'. Instead of owning a 1992 Minibird, I've got a 1992 P30 chassis with body by BlueBird, and a bunch of other accessory systems by various manufacturers, installers, and maintainers. Each has had their own skill, touch, method, and overall impact on the rest of the whole.

I try to keep a proper maintenance log somewhere on the bus that has detailed notes, drawings, and lists parts numbers of what was done and when; should the need arise, I am able to adequately and quickly troubleshoot, replace, or identify what problems or replacements may be necessary.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote