Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55
1997 Ford B-800 brake line repair

So I drove my 36 footer (Ford B-800 body) 250 miles on failing rear brakes, and I got it there fairly ok, but now that I've let it sit for a month and moved it a second time, I noticed the brake line along the passenger side of the chassis frame is cracked and leaking brake fluid badly. The reservoir was empty after a 1 mile drive down the road and fluid gushing all along the mid-section of the vehicle. Line seems cracked, as the fluid leaks at one point and stops at another point. Not sure how bad.

Where the heck do I get replacement brake lines for these types of vehicles? Right now I'm in Ithaca, NY . Are these types of things hard to find? I'm guessing the ends are flared but it otherwise looks like a typical 1/2 inch steel pipe, not sure if I can hack something from galvanized pipe at the hardware store. Or if the crack isn't that bad, can I just weld it? I'd prefer a cheap repair than an expensive replacement. I just need to get the bus moved another 30 miles, and with it weighing ~12 tons fully loaded, I'm really nervous about driving it any further on just front brakes.

If the line needs replacement, what sort of cost am I looking at? New/used? Help! I am living minimally/subsistence and only have enough income to cover groceries and gas for my car.

tomas_maly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: 1997 Ford B-800 brake line repair

Pretty tough to weld steel tubing without burning it up. Brake fluit is very flamable when exposed to welding/cutting temps. The flare on brake lines is a special double flare where the tube is first folded in on itself and then flared. This requires a special tool. The reason for the double flare is that it keeps the tube from spliting along the seam. I'd recommend replacing the line with new or good used. A micky mouse patch might you 30 miles--or it might not. Ya pays ya money and ya takes chances. Good luck
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

How do I say this without sounding like an asshole? This is clearly a rhetorical question. Here it goes. Dude, you have no business touching anything on that brake system. You clearly have no idea what you are doing and are going to hurt or kill your kids or someone else on the road. If you want to cut costs, disconnect the broken section and take it to a shop that can make you a new one including duplicating the bends. Then you can put it back on. You will still need to bleed the brakes. Go to a truck parts store. If they have the line, they can tell you who can bend it for you. Stay away from the hardware store.

This is a little more important than where to install a wood stove or should you build your bed out of 2x4 or 2x6.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72

I would have to agree with CrazyCal on this one. Brakes are nothing to fool with without adequate knowledge.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
How do I say this without sounding like an asshole? This is clearly a rhetorical question. Here it goes. Dude, you have no business touching anything on that brake system. You clearly have no idea what you are doing and are going to hurt or kill your kids or someone else on the road. If you want to cut costs, disconnect the broken section and take it to a shop that can make you a new one including duplicating the bends. Then you can put it back on. You will still need to bleed the brakes. Go to a truck parts store. If they have the line, they can tell you who can bend it for you. Stay away from the hardware store.

This is a little more important than where to install a wood stove or should you build your bed out of 2x4 or 2x6.
Actually I was just brainstorming and saying what was on my mind (so it wasn't practical, so what) and otherwise was just looking for practical ideas on who to talk to for parts/help. I have plenty of experience working on automotive brake systems, I'm just new to truck repair and new to the area so I've yet to find a place that can provide parts or labor.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #6

I knew you'd be butthurt. You don't weld automtive brake lines either. I think my suggestion would be the least expensive while still being safe, but it's your bus so the final decision is yours.

I was going to say Christmas is just around the corner and you could put it on your wish list for Santa but I'm not going to. Besides, I heard he got tired of dealing with skoolies.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
I knew you'd be butthurt. You don't weld automtive brake lines either. I think my suggestion would be the least expensive while still being safe, but it's your bus so the final decision is yours.

I was going to say Christmas is just around the corner and you could put it on your wish list for Santa but I'm not going to. Besides, I heard he got tired of dealing with skoolies.
So friendly! =)
Old 09-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas_maly
Quote:

So friendly! =)

A little funnin. No harm meant. I was angry at first but I'm over it. I have a tendency of getting angry when two things happen(actually more) on the forum. The first is when someone new comes on and starts asking for donations, money or whatever you want to call it. The second is when someone does or suggests doing something unsafe that might cause you to run into me or some other dummy that's just minding their own business. I understand money being tight but some things you can't corners on. I'm sorry if I made you mad. Please fix your brake problem correctly.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So friendly! =)

A little funnin. No harm meant. I was angry at first but I'm over it. I have a tendency of getting angry when two things happen(actually more) on the forum. The first is when someone new comes on and starts asking for donations, money or whatever you want to call it. The second is when someone does or suggests doing something unsafe that might cause you to run into me or some other dummy that's just minding their own business. I understand money being tight but some things you can't corners on. I'm sorry if I made you mad. Please fix your brake problem correctly.

Well then maybe you'll offer a donation to the fix-my-bus fund, so I can get it repaired? =P I'm just anxious because it's the weekend and places are all closed.
I wonder if super glue will work?

Seriously, I found where the line disconnects and will try taking it off tomorrow.... And will call on Monday at some truck shops I found. I am imagining that it's easier/better to get a new brake line fitted than trying to salvage a line off a junk bus (the odds being low of finding such).
Old 09-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #10

now you want money, I already saved your life.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Few things cant be short cut.... brakes and tires are tops on my list. I mean hell your only stopping a huge chunk of metal. Glad to hear you are making the right choice
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Skoolie

Turns out the leaky line wasn't the rear brakes at all but the emergency brake. The leaky fluid is red (ATF), not brake fluid, and from a 1/2 inch line, not a 5/16 (or 1/4") typical brake line (or whatever).

The master cylinder chamber for the rear brakes IS oddly empty, so I went and got some more brake fluid to bleed through the system. Will see how it goes.

=)
Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Skoolie

With the new diagnosis of parking brake failure, I was curious whether the parking brake lever does anything with the transmission since there is no "Park" on the shifter. It gets left into 'Neutral' and I was imaging on a slope the bus might roll down a hill until the parking brake was engaged.

There appears to be a hydraulic line going out of the e-brake lever, and a few wires, I was curious if engaging the parking brake did anything with the transmission or whether the transmission is still in neutral and there be a risk of the vehicle rolling down a hill/slope if the e-brake was failed.

I'm just asking because the bus is parked on a slight slope and it hasn't budged a bit. The e-brake reservoir (ATF) is empty and I know I lost several quarts along the way, but it still seems to work, somehow
=)
Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Bus Geek

try 1st link for info
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cg...ford&th=546608

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=21764

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91...ke-system.html

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/...Girling-Brakes

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...-brake-285796/

there is a little back ground with terms to search
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Skoolie

I couldn't quite make heads or tails of what was being said (I'm more of a visual guy), so I'm opting to buy the service manuals for the Ford B-800..... Found on Ebay for $30 .

I can't seem to find the bleeder valve for the drum brakes, any ideas? The service manual might not be here for another week, I definitely need this particular job done before then. I might take a picture of the drum and post it here, maybe someone can point out where the bleeder valve should be.

That being said, what the heck is THIS? I think it has to do with the parking brake (that thick 1/2" line goes to the e-brake reservoir (ATF), but I've never seen anything like that before (only really familiar with disc brake systems and e-brake shoes)... I'm confused because after this cylinder thing, it's a conventional brake line that parallels the hydraulic (pedal) brake line. Are there two sets of shoes inside the drum? And might there be two different bleeder valves? Can't wait for the service manual!

Old 09-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #16

Quote:
I couldn't quite make heads or tails of what was being said (I'm more of a visual guy), so I'm opting to buy the service manuals for the Ford B-800..... Found on Ebay for $30 .

I can't seem to find the bleeder valve for the drum brakes, any ideas? The service manual might not be here for another week, I definitely need this particular job done before then. I might take a picture of the drum and post it here, maybe someone can point out where the bleeder valve should be.

That being said, what the heck is THIS? I think it has to do with the parking brake (that thick 1/2" line goes to the e-brake reservoir (ATF), but I've never seen anything like that before (only really familiar with disc brake systems and e-brake shoes)... I'm confused because after this cylinder thing, it's a conventional brake line that parallels the hydraulic (pedal) brake line. Are there two sets of shoes inside the drum? And might there be two different bleeder valves? Can't wait for the service manual!

In this picture, the nipple on the top is where to bleed.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
Bus Geek

I wasn't going to say anything, you really need to read up on how the system works then you can learn to fix it

One of the links I posted has a tutorial to give you an idea how to bleed it as well as correct way to set it

I would def. choke the bus a couple times to make sure it doesn't roll when you release pressure or add it to bleed park brake
Old 09-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I wasn't going to say anything, you really need to read up on how the system works then you can learn to fix it

One of the links I posted has a tutorial to give you an idea how to bleed it as well as correct way to set it

I would def. choke the bus a couple times to make sure it doesn't roll when you release pressure or add it to bleed park brake

You're just a trouble maker.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil

You're just a trouble maker.