Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1998 Bluebird CV200 GMT530 6.0L V8 Propane School Bus

This bus (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1998-Bluebird-CV200-GMT530-6-0L-V8-Propane-School-Bus-Runs-Great-Motorhome-RV/203222565795?hash=item2f510243a3:g:O2AAAOSw5YFf3EN c) is up for auction ending in about 10 hours.

Was hoping to get some opinions. Being propane definitely makes me hesitant. It will used parked in one spot 9 months a year and traveling to the southern US from canada during the winter.

As reference the typical price for a diesel bus of similar age and kms is 8-14k in this area fron what ive seen in private sale in the last 4 months (not auction prices, none have come up for auction that ive seen in bc)

Shea_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
It's certainly not expensive...to buy...but I'd really be hard pressed to recommend a propane bus to someone who wants to travel across the US (even in the North/South direction). The "must pick it up and remove it on this coming Monday" restriction is also a concern...are you close enough that it can't become an issue? It sounds like bus options aren't as readily available where you are, but would it make sense to buy a bus in the US and import it to Canada? You can find lots of good diesel options down here...

I definitely don't want to rain on your parade! But the Lacroix Cruisers bought their most recent bus in Arizona and imported it to their home in Canada...so it must be possible/reasonable?
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Price is right. I wouldn’t do it.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
It's certainly not expensive...to buy...but I'd really be hard pressed to recommend a propane bus to someone who wants to travel across the US (even in the North/South direction). The "must pick it up and remove it on this coming Monday" restriction is also a concern...are you close enough that it can't become an issue? It sounds like bus options aren't as readily available where you are, but would it make sense to buy a bus in the US and import it to Canada? You can find lots of good diesel options down here...

I definitely don't want to rain on your parade! But the Lacroix Cruisers bought their most recent bus in Arizona and imported it to their home in Canada...so it must be possible/reasonable?
Yea you kind of summarize my concerns. Think it would be hard to make it run on both gasoline and propane with two tanks and flipping a switch? I know nothing of propane conversions.

As far as i know Canadians arent allowed to drive to the US for non-essential reasons right now and it will probably be that way for a long time to come. Otherwise that would be an option.
Shea_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
You mean buying a bus isn't essential?! That's just wrong...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote