Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
2 For 1 Back Up Camera

I ordered the EMMAKO back up camera off Amazon. I pulled it out yesterday to read the installation instructions and found Step#1 to be quite interesting.

I emailed them last night and got a prompt reply at 2:30am to provide them the transaction number from Amazon and the item purchased so they can send out my free camera. Camera was $69.
Attached Thumbnails
20190516_225408.jpg  

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Bonus! Unfortunately, these cheap wireless backup cameras seem to all use the same channel, so you can't just add a second camera (rear view while driving vs bumper view for parking) without replacing one of the transmitters.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
I would be interested if you want to sell the second one (in case the transmission channel cannot be changed to run two camera.)
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
I would be interested if you want to sell the second one (in case the transmission channel cannot be changed to run two camera.)
Why not buy one and get one free?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Why not buy one and get one free?
Don't need two. Have enough stuff that I need to get rid off before taking my van cross country.
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
Don't need two. Have enough stuff that I need to get rid off before taking my van cross country.
Let me see what they send me and I'll let you know. I need/want more than one camera, so maybe I'm starting with the wrong unit. The less expensive ones are because they don't have all the bells and whistles.
I really want a system that when it senses outside motion it starts recording all cameras. I don't like alarms as they just scare the perp away to come back later or do someone else. My bike has an alarm that notifies my keyfob in my pocket and gives me 3 minutes before the audible on the bike goes off. By then I'm there to greet you with my 9mm.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:43 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Seems like quite a deal. I am interested to find out what they send you.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
I’m far from needing one, but plan on installing a backup cam before we start moving around. If I’m looking at the same one on Amazon it gets great reviews. Is it the 7” unit? Be curious how it works out. Cool that you get a free one!
Old 05-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Well, I think that backup cameras are one case where wireless is not necessarily better. For example, the sellers of the Emmako say: "We only recommend use under 23ft vehicle for no interference." I don't want interference, so I want wire.

And of course with wire, you can set it up so it's easy to switch between 2 or more cameras. So when I am ready for a backup camera I will most likely go with this one even though it is quite a bit more expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/ZEROXCLUB-Wat...88/ref=sr_1_17
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
Well, I think that backup cameras are one case where wireless is not necessarily better. For example, the sellers of the Emmako say: "We only recommend use under 23ft vehicle for no interference." I don't want interference, so I want wire.

And of course with wire, you can set it up so it's easy to switch between 2 or more cameras. So when I am ready for a backup camera I will most likely go with this one even though it is quite a bit more expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/ZEROXCLUB-Wat...88/ref=sr_1_17
I don't know what camera you were reading about, mine is not wireless, which is one of my concerns. I like a neat application. The camera wire is approx. 3/16" with a 1/2" fitting on the end of the cable. I can't get a proper sized grommet to go over the fitting and still seal the wire.

The free camera is their way of getting free advertising. You must post a review in order to get the free camera. I left a short positive review and then noticed many others with much longer reviews. They ask that you post a screen shot of the review in order to get the camera. I messaged back saying that it takes a few days for the review to be okayed and posted. They replied back that they would prefer pictures and or video in the review, but that my free camera was on it's way to me. I noticed on 37 reviews , only 5 had pics.
I asked them if they had any systems that would accept multiple cameras. They said my camera would, have to figure out how to do that. They also showed me another system that accepts multiple cameras.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
I’m far from needing one, but plan on installing a backup cam before we start moving around. If I’m looking at the same one on Amazon it gets great reviews. Is it the 7” unit? Be curious how it works out. Cool that you get a free one!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews
Old 05-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
I'm far from needing it right now, but it has to be wired from front to rear of the bus, access later might be difficult.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Somehow I got a different Emmako. I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Emmako-Wirele...R3H/ref=sr_1_6

Yours looks significantly better, and it's good it's not wireless. I wouldn't trust wireless on a backup camera.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Somehow I got a different Emmako. I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Emmako-Wirele...R3H/ref=sr_1_6

Yours looks significantly better, and it's good it's not wireless. I wouldn't trust wireless on a backup camera.
That's a smaller 4.3" screen where mine is a 7" screen. I wanted a larger screen, I'm gettin old.

That little camera has some features I like that mine doesn't.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Bonus! Unfortunately, these cheap wireless backup cameras seem to all use the same channel, so you can't just add a second camera (rear view while driving vs bumper view for parking) without replacing one of the transmitters.
Monitor has capability to monitor two video inputs V1/V2. V2 video input will have priority (reverse camera) for safety by connecting blue wire to power positive or you need switch between V1 and V2 by manual.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Being able to easily switch between cameras would be very handy. I will investigate backup cameras further when it's time. I tend to go with the more expensive stuff on something important like this, but all I really need to do soon is make sure I leave room for the wire from the camera. And I'll need to provide power too because my Blue Bird does not have a cigarette lighter.

And I certainly agree about the aging eyes. I'm a few months away from my 70th and having the same problem.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Being able to easily switch between cameras would be very handy. I will investigate backup cameras further when it's time. I tend to go with the more expensive stuff on something important like this, but all I really need to do soon is make sure I leave room for the wire from the camera. And I'll need to provide power too because my Blue Bird does not have a cigarette lighter.

And I certainly agree about the aging eyes. I'm a few months away from my 70th and having the same problem.
I like that I can keep the camera off and it activates when you shift to R. Or manually activate it. Button on the far left changes between V1 & V2. This camera came with 66' of cord, finished on both ends.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
o1marc, I was kind of hoping your camera was wireless so we'd get a review. I have a wired cheapo camera and have come to depend on it just to drive down the road. All the wiring is covered over with insulation and the inner steel panels and would be all but impossible to replace. I never thought I'd have the bus five years after it's completion much less ever have to consider replacing the hard wired camera--I still have my fingers crossed that it'll last until I no longer can use the bus.

While free is good, with the Chinese stuff maybe not. I ordered a photo cell relay to put in line with the entry step light so that it would only come on after dusk. Hong Kong sent two! Whoopie, one for free! I crawled around under the bus for a couple of hours hooking one of them up and waterproofing all the connections only to discover that the one I installed DID NOT WORK! Well, all's well that ends well. The second one works just fine and some fool in china managed to keep his quota of shipped goods looking OK so in the end everyone is happy. I doubt I d get a reply if I asked the seller for my couple of hours back----
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:

Emmako doesn't recommend wireless for anything over 23'. It would be perfect for the front.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #20

this bulkhead fitting may solve your problem.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3411039

[QUOTE=o1marc;326438]I don't know what camera you were reading about, mine is not wireless, which is one of my concerns. I like a neat application. The camera wire is approx. 3/16" with a 1/2" fitting on the end of the cable. I can't get a proper sized grommet to go over the fitting and still seal the wire.
]

Bill Kelleher
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote